Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DFHowTo Tutorial Series  (Read 9917 times)

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: DFHowTo Tutorial Series
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2016, 04:35:44 pm »

I'm usually off the surface pretty quickly, but I start with a "temp" fort in the soil layer at z-2 for ~five years.  Even unskilled miners cut through soil like butter, they can clear that first space and be hauling in on day 0 no problem (esp if its pitching goods down a hole next to the wagon into a QSP).  My underground forts are usually increasingly elaborate mega-projects that take tons of time to dig out, smooth and engrave each layer, etc so I stay at this soil layer for 5-10 years or so before moving down into the fort proper.  This setup also allows me to breach an aquifer at leisure (I embark with some starter stone on aquifer embarks).  I spend a lot of time top-side constructing (and defending) since I rely on kill zones to space out invasion waves and keep my melee concentrated together with marksdwarf overwatch.  I used to do that defense underground but lately I enjoy elaborate above-ground work.  Probably due to the visualizers.

I'm not sure what you mean by a hunter dealing with an ambush, fleeing, I hope?  I've lost really skilled huntsmen (ambusher/marksmen) to ambushers when I've forgotten to disable Hunting on migrants.  It's been a long time since I've last seen a "real" goblin ambush but in my recollection hunters were excellent at uncovering ambushes, but surviving them is based entirely on how fast they could run and well they can dodge the Bowmen in that ambush.  I feel that the Observer skill was greatly buffed at some point however and maybe my Hunter experience is based on days when their sight was a bit more myopic than is currently the case.  In any case, migrants with Marksdwarf are valuable to me as military recruits so I'm risk-averse there. 

I think I find that task speed just doesn't matter to me in most cases, I have my embark sequence down pat and after that the game tends to throw enough excessive manpower at me that executing tasks in parallel is efficient.  The only time I really consider speed for miners is for Evil embarks to get under immediately.  For instance, is brewing speed really that important?  Even using completely unskilled dwarves I'm easily ahead of the booze game, its pots that are always the bottleneck there.  Most of my 'waiting' honestly is aquifer and construction related.

Sorry if I'm dragging the topic too far down a side-road.  The videos' are good advice so far, cheers!
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 04:38:31 pm »

Miner/Carpenter combo is indeed a better newbie suggestion imo.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 04:53:11 pm »

Only if you ever have bored miners.  I almost never do until later in the game when mayor becomes a factor.

Sorry if I'm dragging the topic too far down a side-road.  The videos' are good advice so far, cheers!

No, it's fine.  Conversations like this that are interesting and relevant to the recent video(s) are things I hope to see happen here.  I'll have to step back at some point other than for obvious corrective concerns (such as dealing with mining being moodable... grumble grumble) though, and let you chat amongst each other if we ever get that kind of following to this.  Time, time time time.  Feel like the white rabbit some days.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2016, 05:32:26 pm »

Only if you ever have bored miners.  I almost never do until later in the game when mayor becomes a factor.
No no, I didn't mean on the same dwarf.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2017, 04:43:55 am »

Not dead, just holidays + plus life.  brb.
Pages: 1 2 [3]