Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Arcen Game's AI War II. Take 2.  (Read 11128 times)

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Kickstarter] Arcen Game's AI War II. Take 2.
« on: October 14, 2016, 12:44:32 pm »

Arcen Game's is an indie developer of niche, experimental games including AI War, The Last Federation, Bionic Dues, and others.

Their last few games haven't met with the greatest acclaim, nor have they been financially successful, so they've had to lay off most of their staff. Their last-ditch self-funded attempt was In Case of Emergency, Release Raptor, which failed almost immediately out of the gate. It was promptly released for free on Steam just to keep it around for those that enjoyed what it was.

So now they've decided to break glass in an emergency, instead of releasing a raptor, and they're Kickstarting a sequel to AI War.

AI War is their most successful game - an asymmetric RTS pitting the last few human survivors against an overwhelming AI. It's reviewed extremely well, and lived a very long life - currently on 8.0 - with a fairly active Bay12 topic. With the sequel, the plan to polish up the parts that people loved, tweak the things that weren't-as-loved, and just all-around polish it to a shine on a new engine with a codebase that isn't a horrific nightmare.

They did a first attempt at a Kickstarter. It... didn't pan out how anyone would have liked, so they've gone back to the drawing board, learned to market, and trimmed down staff in order to go for attempt number 2. Less than 24 hours in, and attempt number 2 is basically funded.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcengames/ai-war-ii-0/description

Outdated info from Take 1 in the spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:58:03 pm by Xgamer4 »
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Kickstarter] Arcen Game's AI War II
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 10:07:07 pm »

Yep, there's been a few talky posts over yonder.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 03:27:08 am »

I feel like Arcen is kind of cursed. They consistently put out interesting, thoughtful stuff that usually just fails to gel in some way. I really like then myself, but there's just so much random niggling elements that things just flop over.

Like I finally got around to picking up The Last Federation recently, and find it fascinating... And ultimately, all its interlocking mechanics to be pointless. Even on higher difficulties, I just repeat the same basic strategies and they work without any kind of adjustment. Most of which just involve camping on a planet, followed by hurling massive amounts of capital around.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:52:49 am »

Yeah, that's kinda the problem I've seen too... I love what they do - hence why I'm trying to drum up support to keep them alive. But they've really seemed to nail the "interesting experiment" niche. I really hope this Kickstarter works but... well.. it ain't lookin good.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 09:07:01 am »

I mean I like AI War...

But it kind of hits the point where I beg for it to stop every single time...

And smaller games are really unsatisfying a lot of the time as well.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 09:56:21 am »

Personally, I have never figured out how to not die horribly in the first 15-30 minutes of AI War (or how to make sense of anything that is going on). If DF has a difficulty cliff, AI War's difficulty slope must be angled back over the head of the prospective climber.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 10:03:07 am »

Personally, I have never figured out how to not die horribly in the first 15-30 minutes of AI War (or how to make sense of anything that is going on). If DF has a difficulty cliff, AI War's difficulty slope must be angled back over the head of the prospective climber.

Its difficulty is based HEAVILY on mechanics that aren't obvious or intuitive.

If you know the game's inner workings (which is kind of required) then it becomes much easier...

Which the only bigger issues is that some of the stuff the AI can do it outright counter intuitive. Which you must avoid.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 10:04:28 am »

Build defenses first. Or lots of ships.
And don't play with absolutely everything enabled.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 10:22:58 am »

And try a lower difficulty.  Drop down by a full integer.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 01:21:10 pm »

What, below normal? ???
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 01:24:53 pm »

What, below normal? ???
Theres a reason 5 and 6 exist, and its to give you a slightly easier time but not just make things way too easy like 1-4.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 01:42:52 pm »

What, below normal? ???
Yes, normal difficulty is for advanced players.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 02:04:00 pm »

What, below normal? ???
Yes, normal difficulty is for advanced players.

Not because it is particularly hard... but because, as I said... You have to know the hidden mechanics of the game to play effectively.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 04:15:59 pm »

... you keep saying that, but I can't recall any mechanics in AI War that were hidden. Lot of things to remember, but between the tutorial and tooltips things are pretty clear.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 04:18:11 pm »

... you keep saying that, but I can't recall any mechanics in AI War that were hidden. Lot of things to remember, but between the tutorial and tooltips things are pretty clear.

How about Exogalactic forces.

They only trigger in one specific case.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6