Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Arcen Game's AI War II. Take 2.  (Read 11052 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: [Kickstarter] Arcen Game's AI War II
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 04:29:30 pm »

... you keep saying that, but I can't recall any mechanics in AI War that were hidden. Lot of things to remember, but between the tutorial and tooltips things are pretty clear.

How about Exogalactic forces.

They only trigger in one specific case.
They trigger in multiple cases.
Golems hard, Botnet Golem Hard, Fallen Spire (shard retrieval and other sections), Exodian Blade (if awake), I think also Spirecraft hard. Pretty sure except for Blade and FS you get told about this in the tooltip for the minor faction.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 05:15:02 pm »

They can also happen in an additional more important situation than those.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 05:47:02 pm »

What, showdown devices or alt-champ nemesis something? You don't just suddenly get exos without warning.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 06:18:29 pm »

What, showdown devices or alt-champ nemesis something? You don't just suddenly get exos without warning.

If I remember correctly the AI will send Exogalactic Forces if they lack access to one of your systems or something along those lines.

Which, paradoxically, meant that keeping isolated AI worlds to constantly attack you was preferable... as Exogalactic assault was far more dangerous then what one system could produce.

AI Wars has dumb rules you had to learn :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 06:25:06 pm »

If there is no warp gates next to your systems at all, the waves are thrown at random planets instead. Not exos.
If the difficulty is low enough (I think around 3?) and there are no neighboring warp gates, you simply do not get waves period.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 06:26:59 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 09:24:42 am »

I don't think it is so much that mechanics are *hidden* but that there are so many to deal with that it overwhelms.

AIWar isn't a game you can throw yourself face-first at "normal difficulty" and do well. Normal is where all of the options are enabled for the AI, it cheats only as much as necessary, and generally speaking a player that knows what they're doing can win.

The problem is the "a player that knows what they're doing."

On diff 5 and 6, the player is given a little more room for mistakes and can almost fight their way through the game blind. The AI will still hit back, but it's more forgiving.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 11:02:35 pm »

In related news, the original AI War is now on a major sale on Steam - 90% off.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40400/
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 08:36:23 am »

Just the fact that they have a detailed design plan in itself gives me more confidence in them as developers than 95% of the other kickstarter projects.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 09:36:00 am »

Just the fact that they have a detailed design plan in itself gives me more confidence in them as developers than 95% of the other kickstarter projects.

It does, and I'm sure they'll pull it off to some level. However, as is the usual pitfall, their KS ask is way too high and I doubt it'll make it. I completely understand that they've budgeted it all and that's what it comes out to, but it's pretty big sum of money for a rather niche game. I've backed though.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 09:42:12 am »

Yeah, I have the the feeling like they'll make the project with or without a successful kickstarter, but they should have definitely set a lower target. Even if it was a 50 or 75k original target, they could have expanded it a lot with stretch goals, and that probably would have built a lot more momentum.

Right now you look at it and see it's not even a third of the way there and get disheartened.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 09:48:56 am »

Yeah, I have the the feeling like they'll make the project with or without a successful kickstarter, but they should have definitely set a lower target. Even if it was a 50 or 75k original target, they could have expanded it a lot with stretch goals, and that probably would have built a lot more momentum.

Right now you look at it and see it's not even a third of the way there and get disheartened.

Exactly. I mean a 100k KS would have made it easily, and they'd have then got everyone excited that it was going to happen and they'd have been happy to pitch in more. It's also the kinda game that can have some easy and sensible stretch goals.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 11:10:28 am »

I'm pretty sure he set the price point to what it would cost to make it, so...

I mean, you can say "set it lower so it gets funded" but if that isn't enough, then, well, what was the point?

I don't understand this being labelled too high. What's that in comparison to? The people who promise the entire universe, fully interactive, for $60k?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 11:32:23 am »

I'm pretty sure he set the price point to what it would cost to make it, so...

I mean, you can say "set it lower so it gets funded" but if that isn't enough, then, well, what was the point?

I don't understand this being labelled too high. What's that in comparison to? The people who promise the entire universe, fully interactive, for $60k?

I'm sure he did set it fairly to the needs they have, but those needs can be scale-able - hence stretch goals. It might be that multiple factions are only feasible if it reaches 250k or $x in sales.

The problem is that the game is rather niche, and it's not like they've got such an incredible pedigree of games that people who haven't played and enjoyed AI War are likely to back them. To most it'll probably look like a pretty bog standard RTS. If 300k is absolutely the minimum they can do anything with then that's fine, but I do feel that stretch goals would carry them, whilst still allowing them the cash injection to get the ball rolling.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2016, 04:42:20 pm »

[Double post as it's a bit of an update]

So, as unfortunately predicted, the kickstarter isn't going to pan out. This is a real shame, but I can't say it wasn't expected.

More than that, they've obviously managed to shuffle stuff around and do it on a much smaller budget (roughly 50k rather than 300k!). Whilst I realise the quality will be reduced in the short term, I do have to wonder again why they didn't just set it at that point if it was feasible.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2016, 05:14:45 pm »

Probably because this new budget (as far as I can tell) involves basically dropping everything that isn't the AI, UI fixes, and basic mechanics into stretch goals?

Its not exactly an optimistic kickstarter, or even a cool-sounding one. Its 'AI War with better performance and maybe new features.'
Unless they manage some amazing pr I'm not sure how that can sound interesting to people who don't already have AI War.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6