Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Arcen Game's AI War II. Take 2.  (Read 11169 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Kickstarter] Arcen Game's AI War II
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2016, 05:36:59 pm »

I have AI war and the first kickstarter's pitch didn't sound interesting to me.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2016, 06:21:46 pm »

Why not? What would you have liked to see?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2016, 06:37:58 pm »

Probably because this new budget (as far as I can tell) involves basically dropping everything that isn't the AI, UI fixes, and basic mechanics into stretch goals?

In my opinion, that's the best they could hope for. AI war is great, and I've had a lot of fun with it - but it's a relatively unknown game from a studio which doesn't have a stellar track record. 300k is a bit of a big ask.

My hope is that they can fulfil the new kickstarter (which they should be able to do) and then develop it with stretch goals or expansions/patches. A modernised AI War with the potential to be expanded on sounds a lot more promising to me than a 300k stab in the dark.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2016, 07:35:07 pm »

Why not? What would you have liked to see?

A kickstarter for The Last Federation II instead, I suppose. I've tried AI War enough times to have 14.7 hours in it, according to steam, but despite that, have never liked it or enjoyed it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2016, 02:57:40 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2016, 03:47:13 pm »

Probably because this new budget (as far as I can tell) involves basically dropping everything that isn't the AI, UI fixes, and basic mechanics into stretch goals?

Its not exactly an optimistic kickstarter, or even a cool-sounding one. Its 'AI War with better performance and maybe new features.'
Unless they manage some amazing pr I'm not sure how that can sound interesting to people who don't already have AI War.

More notably, it also gives up on the optimistic hope of keeping jobs for everyone who was working in the studio. Which is unfortunate, for sure.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2016, 12:50:53 am »

More notably, it also gives up on the optimistic hope of keeping jobs for everyone who was working in the studio. Which is unfortunate, for sure.

Oh, the studio is pretty much 3 people at this point anyway. Chris, Keith, and Blue.  The KS money is predominantly "to pay Keith."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2016, 04:20:09 am »

Yeah, I have the the feeling like they'll make the project with or without a successful kickstarter, but they should have definitely set a lower target. Even if it was a 50 or 75k original target, they could have expanded it a lot with stretch goals, and that probably would have built a lot more momentum.

Right now you look at it and see it's not even a third of the way there and get disheartened.

yup this is generally good strategy, you budget half and then make up the other half with presales/early access during development - the point is when you have a demo people will be more interested, and will even pay more for it.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Kickstarter] Arcen Game's AI War II. Take 2.
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2016, 01:58:29 pm »

Kickstarter Take 2 is up and running, very successfully I might add

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcengames/ai-war-ii-0/description
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2016, 12:54:43 am »

The white boarding video is pretty fun. Which is funny, as it's literally Chris in front of a white board with some markers.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2016, 03:14:16 am »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2016, 09:55:02 am »

That's awesome - I'm so glad they went back and did it again with a more realistic goal which could be easily reached. I don't know how far they'll get past that (as in, I think a lot of this surge would just be the previous backers backing again) but so glad it's been funded and there's a hope to at least get to Spire.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2016, 11:15:20 am »

I'd assume we'll get back up to Spire, since its just a bit under the previous total.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2016, 11:32:13 am »

That's amazing!

Ya know what would be even more amazing? if it manage to surpass the original kickstarter goal. that would make me very happy.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2016, 01:13:30 pm »

Ya know what would be even more amazing? if it manage to surpass the original kickstarter goal. that would make me very happy.

Its unlikely, but it's been mentioned on the forums.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6