Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where is all this deep galena coming from?!?  (Read 2723 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where is all this deep galena coming from?!?
« on: October 14, 2016, 09:48:13 pm »

I have no farm plots dedicated to deep galena, yet I have a TON of the stuff, both plants and leaf form. I've never wild-crafted a single plant on this embark, I didn't embark with any, I haven't traded for any, yet I have several hundred of the things. Where'd it all come from?

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where is all this deep galena coming from?!?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 05:31:35 am »

Which race did you embark with?  I noticed that certain "slave creatures" will ignore orders and run around and gather stuff.  an herbalist exterminator or gorecyclops may be randomly digging it up in some corner of the map.... Also check your activity zones, you might have one that has gather plants marked allowing the random herbalist to run in and gather his desired crop...  That would be my first 2 guesses.  Otherwise disable all herbalists, disable it in autolabor and see if your stock continues to grow.  You may also have had a particularly happy migrant family (damn hippies) move in and carry it with them.  migrants can and often do bring food and other goods with them and dump them in the meeting area to be sorted out.  I've had bows, arrows, mossrova cheese, two hand swords, stacks of meat and all sorts of things that I new I didn't have the month before show up, some times with horrendous effect on the fortress (see 20 mossrova cheese left in the dining room of a military dwarf fortress).
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 11:44:32 am »

Just regular old dwarves.  No gather zones. It's an awful lot to be brought by migrants: multiple stacks of raw plants and processed leaves.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 04:26:50 pm »

interesting, well the leaves could be from a process plants job on repeat, so if you have the raw plants in inventory, it wouldn't surprise me to see the leafs also.  If you could zip it up and post it, someone here may be able to track down the source of your appearing plants.  As far as the raws go I don't see anything about deep galena that should allow it to just appear in your inventory.  a migrant would bring a stack of 5 max.  other then that, you could of bought it from a caravan, it can appear with other food plants if your civ has discovered and are cultivating it...   Its not a bad product, burning it in the farmers workshop I believe will increase happiness/relieve stress...  could just smoke it up and see if you end up with more in your inventory later.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 07:21:19 pm »

Did you mark an area for plant gathering in the cavern accidently?
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 07:26:41 pm »

Did you mark an area for plant gathering in the cavern accidently?

This fort doesn't have cavern access yet, but I did poke into the caverns and seal them right back up, so deep galena could be growing on underground soil. Nope, just checked my sand and clay zones, and they are not set to gather.