Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dfhack for CREATING aquifers?  (Read 3621 times)

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dfhack for CREATING aquifers?
« on: October 15, 2016, 05:32:43 am »

So I am generating embark sites, and am having trouble with aquifers:
They are too small and there aren't enough of them.

I've heard of a few plugins/commands to remove aquifers, but found no instructions on how to do that.
I've never even heard of a plugins/command to CREATE aquifers, but since the former has existed, and other map-painting options are possible, it MUST EXIST.

Does anybody know where to find it and instructions on how to use it?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dfhack for CREATING aquifers?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 09:30:39 am »

I don't know of any, and I suspect non exists. I assume you've listed all commands available through DFHack to see if you find one?

There's a flag in the data structures indicating if a tile is a fluid source, and removing aquifers ought to just be a matter of scouring the embark for this flag and reset it (while avoiding neutering magma pipes). Going the other way is a bit more complicated, at least if it should be done "properly", i.e. adhere to biome boundaries and exist only in layers that legally supports aquifers (including avoiding gem clusters). You'd also have to figure out/decide at which depth(s) to place them on and make sure they propagate downwards through all aquifer supporting layers until it hits non supporting rock (and you'd also have to ensure you're not creating a massive cavern flooding if the aquifer reaches a cavern: natural aquifers don't "bleed" into caverns even when in the rock walls).

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 04:41:51 pm »

DFhack's 'liquids' plugin allows for the creation of water-source blocks, but I was under the impression that that it was something different and doing this overwrites the rock on which it is placed.
If it does not, and adds both the water-spawning and water-draining effect on top of the block, then I think I have my answer and solution.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 04:47:14 pm by The Grim Sleeper »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 11:23:44 am »

liquids won't do what you need.

AFAIK you need tiletypes, plus possibly some fiddling with region and block flags. In anycase there are no prerolled solutions, you are looking at a lot of typing in the tiletypes prompt and possibly some fiddling with the interactive Lua prompt.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 06:45:22 am »

So I am generating embark sites, and am having trouble with aquifers:
They are too small and there aren't enough of them.
Sounds like it would be done much easier without dfhack, by adding the [AQUIFER] tag to more of the stone or soil inorganics in the raws.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::