Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you like to interact with the world of dwarf fortress?

Yes.
No.
Depends.

Author Topic: A dwarf fortress world conquest option  (Read 3296 times)

Lioneez

• Bay Watcher
  • Challenged.
    • View Profile
A dwarf fortress world conquest option
« on: November 05, 2016, 10:47:01 am »

Hello everyone,
I was wondering why in dwarf fortress we have a lot of creatures attacking us and we as the players being able to only defend our fortress
until we get destroyed eventually.

As a matter of fact I feel this way of playing is getting too static, we can only do so much in one region we embarked on before getting tired of it and making a new fortress.

So I suggest that there will be a way that we as players will be able to interact with the world, this is jest one simple idea:
"By using the map world you can select a certain dwarf to go and explore an area and return with info of that area or die trying."

Of course there will need to be a skill dedicated to that function I think, this can be quite useful if you can get a notice warning you
before you get attacked by elves or goblins, it will add to the complexity of the game, making the game experience more fun for everyone I hope.
What do you guys think of this idea?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A dwarf fortress world conquest option
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 08:02:21 pm »

Selecting a historical figure to control as an an adventurer is planned. And there's no real need to limit it to fortress mode. You'll actually be able to see the beginnings of 'sending people out from the fortress' in the artifacts release.

Also, yes, running a single fortress, dragging on and on until it finally succumbs to death by beast or fps is pretty static.

But that's just one way to play the game. It's been years since that was the only thing you were limited to doing. The world is alive. Explore it, find reasons to build fortresses, go on adventures, build camps, send adventurers to fortresses, build fortresses on camps, discover stories. Combine the various options. It doesn't take much imagination to fill in the blanks for yourself until all the features are eventually implemented.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 08:23:55 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 02:26:22 am »

There's plans along this line already.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 08:03:43 pm »

Dwarven armies
    Ability to send out fortress dwarves to lead larger groups of surrounding dwarves out around mid-level maps (or just go alone)
    Ability to send equipment and fortress dwarves out to train surrounding dwarves
    Ability to attack sites and entity populations with your dwarven armies
    Ability to set fires and select supplies to haul back when sacking a site

Also:
conquest mode!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Grimmrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 06:07:16 am »

I want to send out my own caravans and sell stuff.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 10:42:24 am »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?