Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2016! The Pre-Beginning Begins!  (Read 10101 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2016! The Pre-Beginning Begins!
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2016, 10:34:30 am »

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2016, 12:18:47 pm »

The mustache man compels you!
~~~
If you're having inspiration problems, you can always play the "Five People, Five Words" game!
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2016, 01:42:45 pm »

Amazingly enough, I did have an idea just now.  Woo.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2016, 01:58:20 pm »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2016, 06:48:57 pm »

Meanwhile, on GitHub...

The discussion in this year's NaNoGenMo appears to have became much more technically advanced than usual. Several people have already outlined plans for generating "human-readable" novels, and their plans look very plausible - usually, they take the form of: take a corpus of existing human-generated content, turn them into mad-lib-style templates, and then use some type of story framework to decide where to place the templates. Devil's in the details, of course. Collecting the corpus and turning them into templates seem like it would require a lot of manual labor.

There's also another person planning to create a simulation detailing the life of a "phreaker" in the 1980s traveling to different dumpsters to gather information on telecommunication systems and sometimes finding news articles about the world, which I think could keep a reader's interest. I'm very interested in seeing this project come to fruition, and think that this approach is the most likely to lead to a human-readable novel...though again, devil's in the details. It depends on collecting interesting news articles as well as producing a good simulation.

I guess I'm experiencing the same feeling of inadequacy as the human-writers in NaNoWriMo, since I haven't started coding my project yet and my project is only intended to be human-readable for a few thousand words. The difference, I guess, is that NaNoWriMo is working in a relatively stable system where there's no fear of being "left behind" (the state of manual novel generation hasn't really changed), while in NaNoGenMo, there's the sense of an technological arms race occurring.

Valdus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Blog "Scrawls"
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2016, 10:25:30 pm »

Report for Day Three:
About a week ago I had the masochistic idea of participating in National Novel Writing Month (why November? Why not June? where here in New Orleans nothing is gone on!), writing it as a grand solo adventure to commemorate solo gaming appreciation month and trying to design an oracle based solo engine called the Oracular for Nagademon (national game design month). Oh so much room for abuse!

It has been three days, and all I can say is I feel like a philanthropist gone completely mad! Without being judgmental and squashing the creativity, here is what I have.

Eight thousand pages where my mind has wandered to places that my fingers dread to go. I have hundreds of words of a first person Victorian letter-writing with a little steampunk helping, all thanks to the circles of perdition rpg called De Profundis. I have an oracle based RPG taken from the burned ashes of Oculus. Upon which I follow absolutely no rules and just grab the nearest tarot card, rpg, cubes, dice or random pet I could find and write about the nearest world I can think of. All in all, I’m not even sure if I am playing or writing, doing it for Nanowrimo, or solo gaming or thinking about dice mechanics (well, not that, because there aren’t any).

No matter what I try or what I do, I keep coming back to that mythical world I created in my head, sent in a (rejected) short story; cranked out a draft, and have played in my head ever since- The Barony of Rivermoon. For like its inspiration, New Orleans, I will always return to that place. It is my literary/RPG home.

I have garbage, I have a mess, I have a ball of yarn made out of words and phrases, tangled mess of ejaculate that can hardly be called creativity.

And I have never been happier.

Plus I got three hundred more words for that Nano, don’t I- don’t I?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2016, 01:03:20 am »

I just wrote about 400 words for Steel From Stone. I wish I could finish enough of this to actual feel like it was worth talking about.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2016, 04:29:42 am »

Well I still haven't signed up or written anything or thought about it. Somehow, though, it doesn't feel right. I feel like I should be suffering this month, struggling to get my word count done each day. I feel like I'm in limbo.

EDIT: Hell with it. I hereby introduce Tales from the Video Game Name Generator. My the gods have mercy on my soul.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 04:38:00 am by Sappho »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2016, 05:07:44 am »

That's...actually a great idea.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2016, 05:27:03 am »

Currently writing "Relentless Ice Cream Armageddon".

EDIT: I'm going to go ahead and publish what I write each day. Fortunately, I still remember my password for the blog I used to write in every day. I have to admit, I feel better hating myself for being behind on my word count than I did just not doing it at all. It feels... right, somehow.

Word count so far: 2,457
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 11:39:54 am by Sappho »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2016, 02:42:51 pm »

Good luck, everyone! I don't know if I can do it this year, but thanks to this thread I remembered it. Might start tomorrow after I've finished current essay depending on how I feel then.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2016, 07:54:02 pm »

Just finished generating a human-readable short story (and then generated 5 different versions of that short story to meet the "novel" criteria). Here's some links, if you're interested:

- Human-Readable Short Story, 13,606 words

- Completed "Novel" (5 different short stories that are very similar to each other), 67,408 words

- Source Code, if you are interested (language is in Ruby)

While it does take a lot of effort to curate the corpus, the result is human-readable. I'm willing to call it a success.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2016, 07:42:22 am »

After a couple of days of zero or very little progress, I've finally managed to crank out a few thousand words. Hopefully I can eventually catch up to par and succeed this month!

Completed Tales from the Video Game Name Generator so far:
Relentless Ice Cream Armageddon
The Incredible Love Showdown
Cosmic Amish Psychiatrist

What's next? Let me go ask the generator...

https://meganleeprose.wordpress.com/

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2016, 10:27:13 am »

Starting to fall a bit behind again, but as of last night I'm at 15,817 words. Probably more than I've written on any single idea before.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2016, 01:09:04 pm »

Custom Cookie Ransom is done, and now I'm starting Spirit of the Burger Fortress. This is fun! And I'm slowly catching up on my word count...

https://meganleeprose.wordpress.com/
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6