Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Distracted Golems  (Read 1740 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Distracted Golems
« on: October 11, 2016, 02:27:47 pm »

All my golems and awakened rocks are distracted by unmet needs. What can I do to prevent this? Do golems need oil?  :P Also, rocks are shown as "no job" throwing off my idle counter, any way to fix this? (Maybe this is more of a 'The Earth Strikes Back' question...)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Distracted Golems
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 03:37:49 pm »

Well what needs are they trying to meet? If they want to pray then you'll need a temple, introspection is fulfilled with a library, and socializing at a tavern. Like, the vanilla meeting zone version of those things, not the added buildings from the mod.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 03:58:56 pm »

Well, just looking at a single golem, it is unfocused because: Away from people. Kept from alcohol. Lack of decent meals. Lack of trouble-making. Lack of arguments. Unable to learn. Unable to wander. Unable to help anyone. Lack of abstract thinking. Unable to be extravagant.

It shouldn't need those things, especially food and drink, of which there are plenty. It's hanging out in the tavern right now, whining about how it doesn't have any friends, it can't drink and it can't eat. WTF? It's a golem! Being unable to do those things is built into its very nature. It is basically a being designed to be existentially sad. That is kind of funny, in a way, but seriously, is that how it is supposed to be?

My golems are all Marvin the Paranoid Android. They've got Genuine People Personality!

Edit: Here's another thing, they actually do a lot of socializing and reading, even story telling but they always "feel nothing" after doing it. So they are, as designed, all suffering from major depressive episodes. They want to do things, but when they do them, they feel absolutely nothing, and thus never feel fulfilled.

That CAN'T be how golems are supposed to be. Seriously, it's a bug.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 04:10:05 pm by GhostDwemer »

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 04:16:12 pm »

Well, just looking at a single golem, it is unfocused because: Away from people. Kept from alcohol. Lack of decent meals. Lack of trouble-making. Lack of arguments. Unable to learn. Unable to wander. Unable to help anyone. Lack of abstract thinking. Unable to be extravagant.

It shouldn't need those things, especially food and drink, of which there are plenty. It's hanging out in the tavern right now, whining about how it doesn't have any friends, it can't drink and it can't eat. WTF? It's a golem! Being unable to do those things is built into its very nature. It is basically a being designed to be existentially sad. That is kind of funny, in a way, but seriously, is that how it is supposed to be?

My golems are all Marvin the Paranoid Android. They've got Genuine People Personality!

Edit: Here's another thing, they actually do a lot of socializing and reading, even story telling but they always "feel nothing" after doing it. So they are, as designed, all suffering from major depressive episodes. They want to do things, but when they do them, they feel absolutely nothing, and thus never feel fulfilled.

That CAN'T be how golems are supposed to be. Seriously, it's a bug.

I wouldn't put it past dwarf fortress for the golem to suddenly become sentient.
LP'er

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 04:28:12 pm »

It's like Meph tried to make them feel nothing about anything, but they feel really bad about the fact that they feel nothing about anything. I feel so sorry for my poor golems now. They are just sentient enough to know they aren't really sentient, and they hate it.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 09:00:20 pm »

can we make this a feature?

chesse20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 02:01:24 am »

dont put awakened stones in a cage or they will get pissed even faster and then you will have a bad time with bad rocks

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 02:41:06 pm »

dont put awakened stones in a cage or they will get pissed even faster and then you will have a bad time with bad rocks

It doesn't even matter if you cage them, friendly awakened stones will also fall into deep depression after a while. They are like golems and are incapable of feeling good by meeting any of their needs. I don't even bother with tributes any more because friendly awakened stones are so depressing. Worse, they mess with my idle counter. Unlike other animals, they are counted as idle when they aren't doing anything, which is most of the time. At least golems try to cheer themselves up with activities, even if it doesn't work.