Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World of the Goblins  (Read 2047 times)

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World of the Goblins
« on: October 15, 2016, 10:55:33 pm »

Dwarfkind is massacred. The elves; extinct, save for a few that have been forced into slavery as birth mules. The goblins, un-relentless in their march of murder, now rule the world of Tellistlinòn.

All of humanity is dead. All but one, lone, forgotten human, living in a far off region known as Spuspsotbostu; the Spotted Hills.

This is his story.

Awakening atop a snow-covered cherry tree, the lone human yawned. It was morning already.

He knew little more about the world around him than he did his own name. A strange name at that. Urist. He knew it only by the inscription carved into his basket. Urist Suttorish.

Urist stood and stretched, taking a few steps forward from the branches. Unfortunately, a slick of ice caught his foot, and he came tumbling down. Blood spurted from his new injuries. Tears poured from Urist's eyes, but he rose back to his feet. This was not the first time he suffered a fall like this, and even scars can fade with time.

Urist walked a short distance from his sleeping tree, and climbed down a small hill. There it was; an opening within the snow, concealed by thick branches. He climbed through the opening and fell, landing on his feet. The burrow, although small on the outside, was several feet taller than even he was, and stretched on in a twisting passage. The only light Urist could see was a small flicker coming from further in the cave.

There stood a great behemoth, resembling less a dingo and more a frenzied hyena. It towered over Urist, covered with shaggy fur from head to toe, with lips forever distorted into baring its teeth. It was Mocuricuro; Urist's adopted mother.

"Morning, Mother," said Urist, as he tossed down his spear and walked to the back of the cave. The best equipment could always be found there; Urist never knew how Mocuricuro found such strange equipment, or how they were often too small for him to wear, or even how she 'crafted' a perfectly forged bronze spear and dagger for him, but he often wondered. Stepping over the many gloves and breastplates, Urist walked to the corner where an object caught his eye. A crown, made of rock and bone.

Brushing the strange object aside, he gathered the shiny, silver trinkets that littered the floor from Mocuricuro's latest haul, bandaged his wounded hand with scraps of troll fur, and returned to speak with her. To his surprise, she spoke first.

"Urist," said Mocuricuro, turning her head to the side, "Have you ever dreamed of traveling beyond these hills? Seeing the world I've forbidden from you?"

Urist thought about it for a moment. He once had wondered what other creatures lived beyond the hills, having only known himself, the occasional small animal or bird, and Mocuricuro. Still, the thing he most craved was tranquility. He wished to live a quiet life, one without worries of danger or what creatures lurk past the river.

"Yes. I have."

Mocuricuro nodded. She knew it was time. "Then... fight me."

This caught Urist by surprise, and he stumbled back. "W-what?"

"Fight me, Urist. Fight and slay me. If you can do this, then I know you're ready. This is why your parents entrusted you with me, and this is why they gave me the gift of speech. So that I may train you, and prepare you for the upcoming war!"

"What war? What are you talking about? You told me long ago, when I had asked you, that you never knew my parents. That they dropped me off here, at this cave, before you had returned."

Mocuricuro laughed and snarled simultaneously. "You are a smart creature, Urist. You should know that no animal speaks as I do, and yet you never wondered why?" Before Urist could utter a response, Mocuricuro lunged for him. "Enough! Fight me or die, human child!"

The cut dug deep into Urist's skin. He had no desire to harm his own mother, but... if it was true that she lied to him all this time, then he would fight. At the very least, he would fight until he could get answers.

He drew his spear and thrust it forward. Mocuricuro ducked, but this was just as Urist wanted. The spear tip cut into her tail, and she roared in response, jumping back. Urist wouldn't go down quite so easily.

Recovering from the injury, Mocuricuro ducked another of Urist's stabs and struck him with her paw. Her claws tore into his lip, drawing fresh blood.

"Enough! You must kill me, or I shall do the same!" said Mocuricuro, as she prepared for another lunge.

Her claws extended for a killing strike, Urist was left with no choice. He flinched and rose his spear into the air. The giant dingo's head slid through the bronze spearhead, cutting through artery and bone and impaling the beast.

Mocuricuro collapsed on the floor; limp. Tears seeping from his eyes, Urist withdrew his spear and approached her, hoping for some sign of life.

"Y...you did good, Urist."

Urist pressed his hands onto the wound, hoping to stop any blood loss. "No... no! Don't do this. Why? Why did you make me do it?"

"Because," she said, losing consciousness, "you're the only one who can stop them. I wish I could tell you more about your parents. They loved you so, so much."

Crying, Urist nodded. "Past the river, right? That's where I need to go?"

Mocuricuro nodded in turn. "Son, I think... I'm going to take a nap."

Then, she was gone. Urist was alone once more with nothing but his tears and scars. He took the crown, among other oddities, and left the cave. He was truly alone, but rather than sadness. he felt... emptiness. Then, determination. He needed answers on his parents, and why they abandoned him, and why they told Mocuricuro to train him. As much as he preferred the tranquility... he had a mystery to solve.

And so, he began the journey forward. Past the river... just as she told him to go.

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of the Goblins
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 12:39:29 am »

Urist steadied himself, hiding in the grass. He knew he would get hungry in the upcoming journey, and would need food. Just as Mocuricuro taught him, he pounced forward and onto a raven, smashing its head with one of the silver trinkets he found in the cave.

The bird flailed for a few moments, twitching. Urist knew it was in pain, and decided to make its death as merciful as possible. Taking a deep breath, he swung the coin down once again, and the bird died.

Unfortunately, he had mangled its body. No meat, or even bone, could be butchered from the squished remains of what was once a raven. A crude tool such as a lump of silver could never butcher it well. Urist thought he could use his knife, or spear, but knew that they, too, would mangle the body. He would need some other tool. Grabbing two nearby stones, and plucking a branch from a plum tree, he assembled a crude axe.

This time, it would be a clean kill. Approaching another raven from a nearby flock, he swung the crude axe towards its neck, and the head cleanly separated from the body. Urist set to work in butchering the bird, deriving what little meat he could from its remains, and set off on his journey once more.

After several hours of walking, Urist found what he had been looking for: the river. Beyond this river, he was out of familiar territory. Never once was he allowed to cross it, and now...

However, the further Urist traveled, the more he tired. Passing the jungle and returning to ice-filled lands, he grew cold, and kindled several campfires to sleep next to. Night was approaching just as well, so it was good that he chose to sleep rather than travel.

Then, he awoke. In the middle of the night, he heard whispers. Footsteps. Who was there, he wondered. After a few moments, they subsided. Urist drifted back to sleep, brushing it aside as his imagination...

Awaking once more, he could see the sun rising in the east. It was morning at last. Still, the strange sounds from the night lingered in his head. As he stood up to leave the camp, he looked down and his stomach churned. A track, sitting there in the snow. One he could've easily have made... if he had approached from the east, rather than the north. His heart pounded, and he ran.

Less than a mile away from his campsite, a small hill was visible. Unlike the clearing he had slept in, this hill was surrounded by snow-caked trees. A miniature forest, if you will. Walking there, freezing in the snow from his lack of clothes, Urist hoped to find another burrow like that of his adopted mother's. Instead, however, a wooden door greeted him.

Stepping toward the door, glad to finally meet another intelligent being like himself or Mocuricuro, Urist turned the knob and closed it behind him. Rather than a warm fire and an equally as warm smile to greet him, though, there was a lead cage hanging from the roof. It had a half-eaten skeleton of a short being similar to himself, clad in tattered rags. Its face almost entirely gone, the only identifiable trait Urist could spot was a beady, glowing, yellow eye.

The stench was unbearable, though Urist had smelled worse. Or at least he hoped he had. As he approached the cave, his foot stepped on something. A large piece of fabric, with stitched outsides and a bellowy inside. It was a bag, although he had never seen one before, and thus had no idea what its name was. Still, the purpose of the device seemed obvious to him. It was like Mocuricuro's mouth, except not quite as wet, or toothy.

Before he had another chance to reminisce, footsteps came from further in the cave, along with a bellow. The hill home's resident was approaching, and they were definitely angry!

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 12:40:52 am »

It's interesting to note that his name was random-genned. I didn't name him Urist or anything, it just happened and was the first name I got. I dunno what his name actually means (since I wasn't paying attention), but it's probably something like Urist Catdog or something. Still, a neat fact. Wonder how he got the name Urist.

JakeSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 01:23:01 am »

Very interesting saying Urist is dwarven?...will this continue if Urist dies if not FIGHT HARD TO LIVE!!!
VALLHALLA HUNGERS!!!
-JakeSlayer

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 05:47:02 am »

It's interesting to note that his name was random-genned. I didn't name him Urist or anything, it just happened and was the first name I got. I dunno what his name actually means (since I wasn't paying attention), but it's probably something like Urist Catdog or something. Still, a neat fact. Wonder how he got the name Urist.

'Sut' is human for 'bone'. 'Torish' is dwarven for 'crown'. Apparently this guy is called 'Dagger Bonecrown': talk about coincidences.

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 12:35:50 pm »

Very interesting saying Urist is dwarven?...will this continue if Urist dies if not FIGHT HARD TO LIVE!!!
It's called "World of the Goblins", not "Urist Suttorish the Human in the World of the Goblins". So if he dies, then I shall simply create a new adventurer in the same world, and continue the story.

'Sut' is human for 'bone'. 'Torish' is dwarven for 'crown'. Apparently this guy is called 'Dagger Bonecrown': talk about coincidences.
That's actually really helpful. I could probably do something plot-wise with that.

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 05:45:13 pm »

God damn it.

I forgot to save last time and so it warped me quite a ways back. Went back to the lair, and... it's completely different in shape.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 12:27:42 pm »

lets start it over then?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 10:30:49 pm »

Posting to watch. This looks fun!

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 06:06:10 pm »

Yep, I wouldn't mind seeing it rebooted as well. SwedishLemon had done a pretty good job writing the original posts, and I wouldn't mind a continuation, even if it was more or less with a different Urist.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 02:36:11 pm »

voting that IF a different adventurer is needed, he shall be called Urist Dragonslayer.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."