Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What The Hell Is Wrong With My WiFi  (Read 2470 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My WiFi
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 12:53:11 pm »

You can probably track that with wireshark.  I'd bet money, especially if it is a win10 machine. That connection to the freaking mothership is all important, you know.

Yeah, it's Win 10. That's what I'm assuming the issue is too.

Like, last week I discovered something in Win 7 that made my fucking blood boil.

So I was downloading a steam game, which usually hits my standard hard drive reasonably hard. I can see the impact pretty readily. Yet during this download, things. Were. Terrible. Several minutes for my browser to open, all my applications lagging to hell. It was the worst I'd seen.

So I pop open Resource Monitor and check what's hitting my disk. And the top entries are......two weird processes I've never heard before....looking at .exes for Steam games, some that I've played within the last week, some I've played in the last month. As soon as those windows processes go away, everything returns to normal ish.

I pop open Google to check the process....and lo. What do I find? If you've flagged your system to be part of the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program, Windows has processes that check EVERY GODDAMN FILE ON YOUR SYSTEM for windows 10 compatibility on a regular basis. They're run via scheduled tasks that the WCEIP enables and manages.

WTF Microsoft! Windows 10 is out in the wild and the free upgrade is gone, why is this fucking shit destroying my hard drive and repeatedly checking several gig files when I'm already hitting my system resources hard doing tons of other things?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:50:55 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With My WiFi
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 01:00:16 pm »

Ugh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 [2]