Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Interdimensional Death Arena (Drumroll please...)  (Read 11858 times)

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
Re: Interdimensional Death Arena (Turn 2) (6/6)
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2016, 04:56:11 pm »

"FILTHY PEASANT!"

PMd action.
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 10:12:17 pm »

"Well that didn't work as I planned."

PM'd.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2016, 12:24:14 am »

Waiting on Imic. I'll give him his spot in the initiative queue and see what else I can resolve, though.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2016, 12:34:23 am »

Pm'd
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2016, 01:32:49 am »

Q: What happened to our contestants in their respective worlds?

A: "So long as they never interact with each other, we don't care."

Turn 3

[6] Azet rises up into the air and sends forth a column of fire in Cliff's direction. Unfortunately, Cliff noted the overly-drawn-out charging animation and quickly got out of the way.

[6] Cliff cracks his whip once more, but his momentum isn't enough to wrestle the weapon out of Azet's grip. He retreats behind cover.

[4] Haldir chugs one more potion and stays hidden.
(Bleed: [6] vs [4]. Safe! Remember that anything above 3 blocks all for Defense) ([6] potion healed a random wound: [2] the middle one.)

[4] Nix engages in close combat. Before Gordak can get his shield out, he strikes, but Gordak predicts the blow and sidesteps, causing him to trip (Only a [1] got through. Bad luck.)

You can choose whether or not to use your Trait to block the Trip (or the new wound you've sustained), since it's not technically a wound, but there are better things you could use it on.

(Bleed: [5][4][3] vs [3][1]... you look pale!)

[3] Gordak shot Nix last time, and got him in the leg. [6][3][3] Unfortunately, the artery in that leg was already torn. Nix shrugs off the damage to his leg once again.

Gordak now readies his sword and shield, and with a great bellow he charges into battle: "FOR UNDARAK!!!"
[4][4][3] vs [6][3] Nix attempts to parry, but only blocks the first strike. The sword comes back around, gashing him in the side.

(Bleed: [6][6][5] vs [6][5]... you look pale!) (Heal trait: [4] healed)

Suddenly... as both warriors lock blades, a trail of smoke approaches from the east... Nyr fires his rocket launcher!

[6-chose to go last] Nyr's rocket lands squarely between Gordak and Nix. Explosions can't be dodged... so all it depends on is if it hits someone.

Gordak's dodge: [3][3] vs [3][3]... safe!
Nix's dodge: [5][4] vs [6]... fail!

The rocket explodes next to Nix, and Gordak is caught in the blast. Nix resists the blast and comes out covered in bloody scratches, but warrior's spirit unscathed. Gordak, on the other hand, [6][6][5][4] vs [6][4] takes large pieces of shrapnel to the [6] head (!) and [4] lower torso.

Notes:
 - You only benefit from directional cover if you're on the same tile.
 - You can shoot over Omnidirectional cover (no penalty) if you're right next to it.
 - You can Active Defense against bullets if you're next to cover.
 - If your target moves out of range/into cover because you were slow on initiative, you still attack unless you have limited ammo. (Wunderkatze does)

You might want to double-check your sheet. I might have changed some things.
You have about a day to choose stats. (and choose stats in Imic's case!)

Spoiler: NRDL (click to show/hide)
Wounds:
-Torn Artery (+1 to Bleed)
-Wounded Left Leg (+1 to Bleed)
-Gashed side (+1 to Bleed)
-Difficulty Breathing (-1 FOC)
-Shattered Left Leg (Blocked by Trait!)
-Mutilated Left Leg (Blocked by Trait!)
-Tripped! (-1 Initiative next turn)

Pale

Spoiler: Imic (click to show/hide)
Wounds:
-Head wound (+1 bleed)
-Another Head wound (+1 bleed)
-Leg wound (+1 bleed)
-Dazed (-1 to all Mental stats)

Pale

Spoiler: Wunderkatze (click to show/hide)
Wounds:
-

Spoiler: Mallos (click to show/hide)
Wounds:
-

Spoiler: S34N1C (click to show/hide)
Wounds:
-Heavy Bleeding in Torso (+1 to Bleed)
-Shock (-1 to PER)

Spoiler: HighEndNoob (H.E.N) (click to show/hide)
Wounds:
-
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 01:51:13 am by _DivideByZero_ »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Interdimensional Death Arena (Turn 3) (6/6)
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2016, 01:37:12 am »

"Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam."

Strike Gordak with all my strength, with my precious bat'leth.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2016, 01:39:17 am »

PM'd
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2016, 12:34:27 pm »

PM'd.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2016, 12:44:48 pm »

Pm'd
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2016, 04:41:02 pm »

"I won't hide from some low-class worm like yourself.. FIGHT ME LIKE A MAN!"

PM'd.
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2016, 04:30:49 am »

Q: ...does that mean our contestants are not the same persons as their homeworld counterparts?

A: "Remember what you learned in High School kids: what's past the event horizon, stays behind the event horizon."

Turn 4

I've started rolling 2d6 instead of 1d6 for initiative. Less overlap that way. All +1 modifiers have been bumped to +2, and vice versa

[12] Nyr takes a shot with his rifle [1][2][1] and misses horribly. The bullet flies past Gordak's face, hits a relatively flat piece of stone, and part of the jacket richochets back toward Nyr's head, scratching his ear. ([3] vs [1])

Nyr then tries to hide [2], but fails to find a good hiding spot.

[9-2] Nix's swing connects ([6][3][3] vs [4][2]) and smashes Gordak's face in. ([6][5][4][3][2][1] vs [2][2][1][1]) (full house!).

Gordak leans over, fallen. His body dematerializes in place, forming a sort of Glittering Sparkle Dust that floats up into the sky.

[7] Cliff didn't get to attack this round.

[4] Haldir didn't get to heal this round.

[3] Azet didn't get to attack this round.

"Well there you have it, folks!" announces the stagemaster. "That was one hell of a ride! But I'm afraid we have to save the rest for later. Now it's time to get voting on the next combat arena, where the remaining five will face off, plus a new recruit fresh out of the Materializer."

(Round 1 over because Imic/Gordak took a critical and 2 extra wounds, and was already heavily injured. You can rejoin the next fight if you want since there's no-one on the waitlist, but a new player gets priority for one round. After that you are counted as a new player. You can use the same character, too.)

(I noticed that combat was a little too straightforward to be interesting. Most people were just telling their characters to attack without specifying body part or attack type. So I am proposing a list of changes for the next round to try and add more choice. What do you think?)

Changes to Actions:
I added first aid actions to patch up bleeding, and I split Move into Move and Charge. Move is for locations, Charge is for chasing people.
Also, players were using Stealth to get away from combat, so I added counter-espionage.

First Aid: Try to heal a bleeding wound, rolling d6+INT-(Bleed value) and succeeding on a 4+. Can't attack or Active Defense same turn.
Cut Circulation: Tie a piece of cloth or tourniquet around a limb, cutting off bleeding but making the limb unusuable.

Charge: Like Move, but chases a moving target instead--which may move before it's your turn. You can only charge if the enemy's position was within two Moves, and the max distance you can charge is equal to the default distance times the ratio of your respective AGI stats. If you succeed, you'll be placed in melee range.

Search. This gives you an extra, private roll to finding a stealthed character within a 3x3 square around you. You roll d6, and if your d6 is higher than the target's roll to maintain stealth, you get notified via PM. INT modifiers apply as usual.

Changes to Combat:
I added a couple new actions, two for melee. I also changed Snap Shot to make it more effective at what it is (a low quality attack that's meant to be "quicker" than a normal aimed shot). Also, Defend was given a slight offensive use.

Melee Actions:
Counter - Similar to Attack, but you get to predict what bodypart your opponent goes for (or if he Defends). If you call it correctly, you get to reroll both your attack and the incoming attack (if applicable) on the Defense Phase
Feint - Pretend to Attack a bodypart. If your opponent counters your pretend attack, make a different aimed attack and nullify the counter. If he doesn't try to counter, then you get an attack aimed at a random bodypart.

Note that Close Range attacks with Ranged weapons can be countered, blocked (if your shield can take a bullet), or parried like any melee weapon. Parrying a gun just involves swatting it out of the way.

Changed Combat Actions:
Snap Shot  - One Attack. Does not cost an Action. Hits random bodypart(s).
Defend     - Reroll your Defense dice if you get hit this turn. If you block melee, your opponent gets -1 to all Mental stats next turn, and you trade base initiative dice if yours are lower.

Note that 'reroll' only rerolls your own dice, not your enemy's.

Clarifying Bodyparts:
I'm adding a table to help understand how random bodypart selection works. You roll a d6 and select from the table below:
[6] - Head. Bleeds twice as much on a 5+ and all debuffs are major mental handicaps. A [6] will knock you out for the next round in addition to heavy bleeding.
[5] - Upper torso, where the heart and lungs are. Major debuffs affect AGI and STR. A [6] will pierce the heart for a +3 bleed or worse.
[4] - Lower torso. Bleeds a lot, but debuffs are mostly mental.
[3] - A leg. You can only pierce the artery once for an extra Bleed, but debuffs affect AGI considerably.
[2] - An arm. You can only pierce the artery once for an extra Bleed, but debuffs affect AGI considerably. You can't use a broken arm to swing a melee weapon.
[1] - A hand. You can't bleed out from your hand unless it gets blown off, but you need hands to fire ranged weapons.

Aiming at some bodyparts confers a penalty to DEX due to their size:
Head: -2 DEX
Arms/Legs/Hands: -1 DEX

Spoiler: NRDL (click to show/hide)
Wounds:
-

Spoiler: Imic (deceased) (click to show/hide)
Wounds:
-

Spoiler: Wunderkatze (click to show/hide)
Wounds:
-

Spoiler: Mallos (click to show/hide)
Wounds:
-

Spoiler: S34N1C (click to show/hide)
Wounds:
-

Spoiler: HighEndNoob (H.E.N) (click to show/hide)
Wounds:
-

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 06:00:48 am by _DivideByZero_ »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2016, 04:41:39 am »

"Yay Hegh Je!"

Nice game Divide.  Do we make new characters or do the survivors stay on? 

Also, these new combat rules make me rather sad, purely because now it becomes even more advantageous to just message you one's actions and the rest of this thread will be everyone just saying "PM'ed".  No colourful action descriptions, no dialogue in fight scenes  :(
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2016, 04:47:42 am »

Sure, but you can mindgames your opponent.

"Did he really mean he was going for my heart, or was that just a boast?"

The new rules are open to change, but I'm not sure how to make dialogue more important in PvP. :S

And yep, same characters, unless you want to swap out.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2016, 05:02:20 am »

New char please.  I'd like my Klingon to die of his wounds with pride.

Spoiler: Inconceivable! (click to show/hide)
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2016, 05:31:52 am »

New char please.  I'd like my Klingon to die of his wounds with pride.

Spoiler: Inconceivable! (click to show/hide)

That trait works. Ill do the loadout when I wake up. It's late here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14