Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarves are kind of boring now.  (Read 3194 times)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves are kind of boring now.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 10:43:47 am »

Biggest fun lost for me were the pathing changes (creature climbing) that disabled creature logic. (Supposedly they made sieges more fun, but did they?)

I really like that creatures can climb and jump now. I just think Toady didn't take it far enough. There should be specialized enemy units that come along in big sieges that do things like disarming traps, burrowing and maybe battering rams or building destroyer 3 type enemies that can break things like draw bridges and walls. In general I prefer it when there is more variety in the sort of threats that show up. Just killing an entire siege with a single spike trap in a goblin grinder is kinda boring.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 12:50:00 pm »

I really like that creatures can climb and jump now. I just think Toady didn't take it far enough. There should be specialized enemy units that come along in big sieges that do things like disarming traps, burrowing and maybe battering rams or building destroyer 3 type enemies that can break things like draw bridges and walls. In general I prefer it when there is more variety in the sort of threats that show up. Just killing an entire siege with a single spike trap in a goblin grinder is kinda boring.

Dunno. If I have defensive buildings then no amount of climbing and jumping helps against it, even though at that time I used to meet sieges in open battle until I became terminally bored by them (I learned to handle sieges just fine, did nothing special either, just training my dwarves, but I got nothing else done between sieges and hauling off loot and dead goblins and slowing fps, maybe others enjoy that, but I know I did not anymore in the end). The complete invalidation of all I learned about goblin based computing was the only effect I felt.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 10:13:38 am »

Climbing is overrated as an offensive ability. A wall 4 high is usually too high for any invaders to scale. A 2 high wall is high enough that maybe 1 or 2 can get through in time to to be hacked to pieces by a garrison squad. I would love if toady had included working siege engines that could damage your walls though
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 10:43:22 am »

Too bad they don't even bring ladders.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 11:11:14 am »

The current fruit picking ladders are of limited use to siegers, as I believe they're a single Z level high.

Personally I wouldn't mind battering rams and siege engines provided the dwarven side was upgraded to get access to countermeasures, such as siege engines that can actually be trained at targets in both angle and in elevation, and the ability to pour boiling oil at enemies operating battering rams and siege ladders (yes, magma is dwarfy, but it's also a pain to haul around).
Pages: 1 [2]