Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor breaking  (Read 1887 times)

Thomasasia

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Vampromancer
    • View Profile
Armor breaking
« on: October 19, 2016, 04:07:29 pm »

How does armor breaking work? I have noticed that my armor will start to wear down until it breaks.
"That way leads to the surface. We don't go to the surface."

Atomisk

• Bay Watcher
  • Majora
    • View Profile
Re: Armor breaking
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 10:07:57 pm »

I think both weather(water damage) and use (being hit in the peices)wear and tear your armor, like in the real world. You can't ever repair anything, you just have to replace it.
Signatures are for people with things to show off. I'll show off something.

Thomasasia

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Vampromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:11:56 pm »

My adamantine chest plate got destroyed by a bronze colossus beating my brains out.
"That way leads to the surface. We don't go to the surface."

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 02:25:55 am »

I think both weather(water damage) and use (being hit in the peices)wear and tear your armor, like in the real world. You can't ever repair anything, you just have to replace it.

I don't think exposure affects armour while you're wearing it. If you ever get in a brawl though random peasants will punch it apart like you're in a hentai fighting game or something, so that's something to look out for if you're wearing anything valuable.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 07:15:34 am »

Movement along the path to the next stage of wear for clothing (with no armor level) is just measured by ticks and/or damage. If you do a good amount of slow travel, you'll see that first stage of xwearx soon enough. Anything with armor level will progress on this path only when damaged enough times. Its tick count lifespan is limitless. Maybe it would be nice, if it too suffered wear measured by ticks, but capped at a point beyond which it could not go beyond.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 01:29:55 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Wear
Atleast you can melt down the worn stuff if you got the right mods
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 01:33:14 pm by adamkad1 »

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 09:16:54 am »

I've been fighting a bunch of giant alligators with no damage to my armour, but on a previous adventurer a night troll ripped to shreds my steel gauntlets.

So, I think armour getting damaged has to do with the strenght of whats hitting you. Could use some polishing, becase I don't see how a tusk could hit steel hard enough to produce a dent without shattering.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 06:21:55 pm »

I've been fighting a bunch of giant alligators with no damage to my armour, but on a previous adventurer a night troll ripped to shreds my steel gauntlets.

So, I think armour getting damaged has to do with the strenght of whats hitting you. Could use some polishing, becase I don't see how a tusk could hit steel hard enough to produce a dent without shattering.
Toady mentioned that damage to body parts from hitting hard stuff would be introduced at some point in a podcast (I think) earlier this year. No more legendary wrestlers being able to punch the bronze colossus to death.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 01:25:42 pm »

id except there to be another skill or something that will build tolerance to such pain

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 05:47:49 am »

You obviously have never seen an elephant attack a car. I do know that the damage to your armor does take into account the force of the incoming blows and the material the striking object is made from although I have no idea what the details of that equation may entail. Basically if you have armor made of steel or candy then it generally won't take much damage from incoming attacks unless they are made by weapons of the same grade material or higher or the incoming damage is just absolutely tremendous. I've heard people talk about how getting hit with a copper sword didn't do anything to their candy armor but getting hit by a terminal velocity minecart completely wrecked it. My guess is the night trolls fall into that second category of attacks that carry an incredible amount of force. Although they are procedurally generated I know they get bonuses to various unarmed combat skills and large bonuses to their natural attributes such as strength. Fighting a night troll probably is about akin to getting gored by an elephant.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:50:46 am by Melting Sky »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 11:17:48 pm »

You obviously have never seen an elephant attack a car.
Cars aren't plated with steel. They're mainly aluminum for fuel efficiency.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 01:59:45 am »

You obviously have never seen an elephant attack a car.
Cars aren't plated with steel. They're mainly aluminum for fuel efficiency.

It depends on how old the car is, but that is certainly true of most modern vehicles. A rampaging elephant can mess up even old steel vehicles like jeeps as well as the new plastic and aluminum ones. A large and strong enough animal could certainly crush a suit of plate mail. Although night trolls are smaller than elephants they are supernaturally strong in addition to their large size. I could see why one might mangle a piece of armor pretty badly.

Do we know if the quality of the item affects how well it wears? For instance does a masterwork steel helmet take more damage before it starts to show wear vs one of poor quality?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:03:30 am by Melting Sky »

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 06:52:49 am »

they dont mention that anywhere. go figure