Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leatherwing bats...  (Read 903 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Leatherwing bats...
« on: October 19, 2016, 09:16:44 pm »

Okay I have had trouble getting theverything leatherwing bat skins to tan... I'm in a dwarf fort, last I checked it had the more leather and standardize leather turned on.  Not sure what happened, because I've turned it into leather before.  Doesn't seem to let me turn them into parchment either.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

chesse20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leatherwing bats...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 02:04:10 am »

the bats are probably already made of the leather and you are trying to make leather of leather so it wont work

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 03:25:07 am »

okay here is the details.  So I had leatherwing bats(got tired of trying to figure them out so they dead now),  I'd shear one and a "Stray leatherwing bat skin" would end up in the refuse pile.  No one would pick it up to "tan a hide" in the tanner shop.  To be exact no Leatherworking job would be available anywhere, (i.e. it wasn't usable to tan a hide, make parchment, harden leather, etc.)  Basically the game is not recognizing the skin as a hide that can be tanned.  I remember tanning them under 1.15 with kobolds, I'm now under 1.19 with dwarves.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 02:42:39 pm »

I've noticed this too. Leatherwing bats used to be a good source of leather, but now they just produce unusable skins.