Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 61697 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 12:41:10 pm »

PTW, interesting concept.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 12:49:49 pm »

I've owned the original Gameboy, Gameboy Color, DS, and 3DS.

Not getting this one.

Not really because of any reasons of how the console will be underpowered or whatever, but because Nintendo keeps being idiotic. They removed one of the best socializing features of the 3DS in the sketchbook sharing thing because some people drew penises (yes, I'm still very bitter about this decade-old issue. It's in my Book of Grudges.). They still can't get online gaming right after so many bleeding years. They started using some really hopeless localization companies. They constantly region-lock not just their games but their own hardware and peripherals too. They still refuse to link your bought games to your personal account, instead insisting on it being linked to the system itself so if you ever lose it or want to upgrade you have to call to Nintendo and beg them to transfer your games for you.

The list is endless. And this is just the stuff that related to me on the portable side of things. Look at the Wii U.

How can I justify supporting this company when they keep fucking me up the arse.

-------------------------

Of course, I say all this. But the moment they release Monster Hunter on it I'll go running back like the bitch I am.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 12:51:59 pm »

All I ask is that the darn thing work, plugged in, with a dead battery. I often skip console generations. A user replaceable battery would be better, but I don't see it happening.
... If they made the battery easy and quick to replace it may be a little better, but they would have to sell replacement batteries so you could have a spare on hand to switch out and I doubt that will happen. They'll probably just have an integrated battery like most other wireless things these days.

I think there is a fair argument for both integrated batteries and removable.  Integrated is cheaper overall (part of why it's popular at the design level), but with all the bad press the Galaxy Note 7 has been getting, making the batteries easier to replace if they start acting up also makes sense.  The Note 7 is the most recent and most visible case, but lithium-ion batteries have been blowing up or catching fire occasionally for years.

At this point, it's probably too late for Nintendo to pivot on the 1.0 hardware design; their stated release is only about 5 months away, which means units/parts are already being manufactured.  If I were a betting man, I'd put money on integrated with some extra voltage regulation to keep from turning the Switch into the Mario Galaxy Note 7.

-----

Whether they gain and keep momentum will be entirely on the hardware; battery life on typical usage, battery on heavy usage, downtime for charging / can you use it while charging, wireless latency between all the bits...  let's hope they were paying attention to the performance sins Ouya committed with their wireless controllers.  They'll sell a honest pile of units no matter what because of the new Zelda title, if nothing else.  (I'll even admit that it looks excellent, and I'm a pinched tempted... and I haven't owned a console in ~20 years)

I do wonder about the software architecture as it relates to the multiplayer-while-portable parts of their little sizzle reel.  If there is a typical host/client arrangement, someone is gonna get hosed on battery life; if the runtime load is distributed betwen all participants, what is that going to do to overall latency?  Some of this will probably be case-by-case basis for each game, but foundation choices made by Nintendo will definitely influence, overall.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 12:52:31 pm »

I do or did own a pair of slacks that could fit this console, but they are incredibly rare in the wild. The front "hand" pockets are on the outside. They can easily fit a paperback novel, coming and going. They are sometimes called a patch pocket.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 12:53:20 pm »

How can I justify supporting this company when they keep fucking me up the arse.
By watching a few Breath of the Wild trailers? :P
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 12:55:50 pm »

Name: Using a verb for a name...? It's not the end of the world but it just seems odd to me.
Switch is also a noun. Has been for a long, long time. Light switch, that thing with railroads, the thin branches et al probably best known as a corporal punishment tool. Apparently some kind of hair thing, too.

Part of me is now wondering if the name is a subtle declaration of intent to beat the ass off the competition. E: And to be fair, Nintendo's home country is very fond of that sort of wordplay. This is getting more suspicious the more I think about it...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 01:00:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 12:58:43 pm »

By watching a few Breath of the Wild trailers? :P
The last Zelda game I bought still had 2D sprites. I'm not really interested in that kinda stuff.

My 3DS is used for Atlus Games, Monster Hunter, and Rune Factory.

Don't think I even care about first party Nintendo games any more. After you've played them for 20+ years you kinda stop caring.

------------

I might also pick it up if it gets cracked. Don't think that'll happen this time though. Ninty's getting good at their defense.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 01:02:59 pm »

The non-portable version of the controller. As a mobile tablet looking thing, it's wide but that's the norm. When you're at home though? Are you actually supposed to play on the thing show in the pic at this link? http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/nintendos-next-console-is-called-the-nintendo-swit/1100-5499/
Wow, I didn't even notice how far forward the grips are, they're practically underneath the buttons.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks like it's going to have a similar issue I had with the 3DS. With that console in order to get a good grip I need my hands so far forwards my thumbs are resting just above/on the hinge separating the two screens. I can't imagine how much of a pain it's going to be getting at the D-buttons or the right analog stick judging by this image.

They still can't get online gaming right after so many bleeding years. [...] They still refuse to link your bought games to your personal account, instead insisting on it being linked to the system itself so if you ever lose it or want to upgrade you have to call to Nintendo and beg them to transfer your games for you.
I agree, if they can't fix their online then it's going to really hurt them. If they force you to pay for it like Sony and Microsoft do then forget about it.
Of course, I say all this. But the moment they release Monster Hunter on it I'll go running back like the bitch I am.
Then there's this. Goddamnit Capcom.
Name: Using a verb for a name...? It's not the end of the world but it just seems odd to me.

Switch is also a noun. Has been for a long, long time. Light switch, that thing with railroads, the thin branches et al probably best known as a corporal punishment tool. Apparently some kind of hair thing, too.
I got the impression the thing is named after the action of switching between traditional and portable modes, not so much a lever. I guess you could argue that it is a switch in that sense that, like a switch, it can have multiple different states.
Still think it's kinda strange, and what about acronyms? NS? I prefer NX because the X can kinda represent switching, especially if you view the X as a 'cross' instead of the letter X.

In regards to Zelda, it's something I'll pick up if I do end up getting the Switch, but it's not a system seller like Monster Hunter is for me.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 01:05:33 pm »

Don't think I even care about first party Nintendo games any more.

There have been some announcements already about 3rd party support.

Here's a list of 3rd parties that have been announced so far:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From all those big name companies, I think theres gonna be some pretty good third party games this time.  Hopefully we might get a P5 port to it too(PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 01:07:24 pm »

If it can play Skyrim, P5 shouldn't be a problem.

It'll be up to Atlus though. Those guys are equally as capricious and as stubborn as the gods in their games.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 01:22:33 pm »

Eh, look, its another one of those things nintendo does that I think is nifty but probably not for me.

I'm just one of those people who never really had much of an interest in playing games on the move, really. Games for me are a thing I do when I have some measure of time for myself, and when I'm traveling I usualy have things that are more worthy of my attention than games, plus, the moving parts which fit together all seem to scream "look at all these objects you'll probably lose at some point and be unable to use the device properly!" to me.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 01:34:12 pm »

I got the impression the thing is named after the action of switching between traditional and portable modes, not so much a lever. I guess you could argue that it is a switch in that sense that, like a switch, it can have multiple different states.
Still think it's kinda strange, and what about acronyms? NS? I prefer NX because the X can kinda represent switching, especially if you view the X as a 'cross' instead of the letter X.

In regards to Zelda, it's something I'll pick up if I do end up getting the Switch, but it's not a system seller like Monster Hunter is for me.
Clearly it is called switch because it has a more powerful dom mode and a less powerful sub mode.

Also, lots of games. With both Unreal and Unity, it's going to be quite the system. http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13345516/nintendo-switch-activision-ea-bethesda

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 01:51:57 pm »

If I spent a lot of time outside my home, sitting still with nothing to do, and also didn't have a pile of books waiting to be read and several other handheld consoles/phones with backlogs of games to play, then this would actually be pretty compelling.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 02:40:33 pm »

Switch is a word, at least.

Wii sounds just like wee, Switch only sounds like shit if you try on purpose.

Looks quite nice, though. It rather depends on the games, bottom line, but it's a hell of a lot more solid than the last console. Of course, I've never owned a Nintendo product, and it's never really been part of my life. That's what makes Nintendo so interesting to watch, from a stranger's perspective. This is a lot more intriguing than whatever Captain Xbone & First Mate Pist-Four were playing at.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 02:41:41 pm »

Yeah, I haven't been a Nintendo devotee since I was 15. And the endless death march of devices Nintendo puts out pretty ensures I never will be. I like Nintendo games but not enough to keep up with all the expensive backend purchases.

My ideal shape for comfort is pretty much the opposite of what's in that pic. (Hands pointing inward = grip stress. Wrists pointed inwards, hands outwards = not.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37