Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 61735 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #375 on: March 07, 2017, 01:58:38 pm »

Yea that's why I decided to ultimately get a nintendo switch.  I can get a Wii U.  Which will cost almost as much, and won't have any new games coming out.  Or I can get a switch, that does not currently have any good games outside of Zelda and bomberman (I'm a bomberman fanboy), but WILL have new games, and may very well be replacing nintendo handhelds in the future.   

Primarily things I'm looking forward to are
  • Mario Kart (I loved mario kart SNES to death but never played any of the modern ones despite really wanting to)
  • Pokemon (pokemon fanboy since Fire Red.  I'm probably one of the few people in the world who still have pokes originally from the Orre region.)
  • Super Smash Bros (surely there will be another)
  • Splatoon (always looked like my kind of game but was never able to play it)

Yes I can get all those on a Wii U, but if I'm right in my assumption that the switch is going to replace their handhelds line, I'll need one anyway.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 07, 2017, 02:03:25 pm »

That's unfortunate to hear.   I guess I'll find out though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 07, 2017, 02:14:36 pm »

Eh, if you haven't already dropped cash on it (hell, maybe if you have, since returns are a thing), you can always check some vids. There's post release gameplay video floating all over the place.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 07, 2017, 04:38:24 pm »

Solo Bomberman is being shown as the bad part. It's not top down and objects block your view.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 08, 2017, 04:23:47 am »

Actually the switch has some good frame rate, and I haven't had control issues since I moved the obstructions between me and the console (a large foot rest I was useing)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 08, 2017, 04:30:13 am »

Unfortunately, the new Bomberman game is terrible going off of reviews.

Ohh Bomberman... you are soo mixed...

If only you were more like Sonic and... uhh... actually nevermind.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 08, 2017, 03:29:34 pm »

I can't decide whether I want this yet or not. I already have had money set aside for it, and the system itself looks awesome to me, with the big problems either being things I can deal with or things which will probably be patched, but on the other hand I don't know how I feel about there only being one big game out for it so far.

In any case, if I do get it I hope Monster Hunter Generations eventually gets ported to it. Being able to beat up monsters would be WAY better if I could do it on a big screen. Even just playing on the Switch in portable mode would probably be better than the 3DS's dinky 240p screen and barbie doll speakers.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 08, 2017, 06:33:06 pm »

If you don't think that Zelda alone is worth it then you won't be missing much by waiting, unless you want to be garunteed to have a system when games you want for it do start coming out.

MHGen was my third MH game, and out of the three I felt it was the weakest. I can't fully explain it (though it's mostly to do with the 'hunter arts/styles'), but I just hope that 'MH5' or whatever is more similar to MH3U/4U than it is to Generations.

Heck, I hope they're making MH5, or planning on it, instead of making the first MH Switch game simply Generations re-released.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 08, 2017, 11:03:59 pm »

I just found out that Zelda game is for the Wii u... so... yeah no temptation exists right now :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 09, 2017, 03:47:09 am »

I might eventually replace my aging first gen PSP with a switch, if my requirements get met for it.

Nintendo does not like having my requirements be met though. :P

(I actually insist on the console being "hacked" before I will consider purchase, because I like to use emulators and the like on my portables. I dont need pirate games, just homebrew)

When the switch can do that, I will consider replacing the PSP.  It would be nice to have more horsepower than the Vita, with less headaches. Sadly though, Nintendont does not want to have that happen.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 09, 2017, 05:43:39 am »

In case of a Nintendo portable, emulators would be piracy though, since they provide a lot of games via the Virtual Console.

Yes, not all emulators, technically, but still. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 09, 2017, 04:04:16 pm »

... only if they managed to emulate nintendo's store, too. Their external server store. And tweaked the thing so stuff didn't cost points. Before that point it wouldn't exactly be piracy, heh. Probably some sort of EULA violation or security issue (connecting/processing transactions through an emulator), but copyright infringement not so much.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 09, 2017, 04:08:13 pm »

Emulation has never in a court of law been piracy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 09, 2017, 04:11:03 pm »

Emulation has never in a court of law been piracy.

That is sort of the difference between the courts and what companies want.

The laws say outright that you can make a copy of ANYTHING you have for personal use. This is why when companies sued CD-Burners they lost (IIRC).

It is why I am waiting for the courts to rule that you cannot sabotage your own product... like Apple does.

---

HECK the EULA kind of shows how broken the image of how companies view their media is and how they just bend logic over backwards (Intentionally mind you. It is just a "We want all the money and all the power" bid)

For example if you read it properly you are not buying an actual physical product so to speak. Rather you are buying a license to said product that is still technically owned by the parent company.

Yet if you, say, break your physical copy and then give proof of purchase to the parent company. They will not provide you a second copy, even for manufacturing price. So you ARE buying a physical copy and not a license, even though that is what they insist.

---

Suffice it to say... Nintendo is sufficiently scummy when it comes to their views on copyright, piracy, and stealing. Not the worst out there... But daang are they hypocritical.

Though AT LEAST to my knowledge Nintendo hasn't waged war with the grey market (AKA: Reselling). THAT is the sign of true scumbaggery... EA... (And I'd say Microsoft... but they were scared out of it IIRC)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:19:58 pm by Neonivek »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 10, 2017, 07:15:22 pm »

edited quote:

Then again... given they are not meeting demand they are REALLY risking people catching onto the system's quality.

So... >_< I am going to have to wait until "The Good Switch" before making any real judgements. MAYBE Nintendo knows this list... and fixes everything within a year or two.

Kinda funny how over the years "version 2" of consoles have changed significantly in what we expect from them. A2600/SMS/NES/Megadrive/SNES/PS1/PS2 was "We can make it cheaper now. And a bit smaller, but we'll cut some hardware features as well. Have a free game!" to Xbox's "Our console doesn't burn out/red ring now! And we can make it cheaper. Have a free game!" to the Switch's theoretical "Maybe we should make it a little more expensively. It probably won't scratch your screen/plastic lock your controllers/lose controller reception then! We'll consider the free game thing, maybe."

Too much hardware -> less hardware (or the required hardware in the odd case of the Xbox), but always smaller and cheaper and with a poorer build quality in version 2. And a free game!

I'd wait for version 2. It'll be worrying if they make it more cheaply on certain components and you lose hardware features, as is mostly the case for console part-generations. How low can they go, considering the current version's build quality?

It might be the first console where version 2 is genuinely better from a build quality and usability standpoint than the inital big-box release was. Or it might not, considering the normal trend of these things.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:33:29 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37