Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 61475 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #540 on: July 11, 2019, 01:35:48 pm »

Yea the pro controller is really the only worthwhile controller--the joy cons are big hitler.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 11, 2019, 02:33:39 pm »

Also good

My switch has been on the go to or from work. Good for a two hour drive at night.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 11, 2019, 07:08:16 pm »

Yea the pro controller is really the only worthwhile controller--the joy cons are big hitler.

My left joycon won't let me up smash in smash ult anymore.  Meanwhile, the wired xbox-lookalike bowser controller will randomly hold down.  I got one of the gamecube replica ones recently, we'll see what that one does.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 12, 2019, 02:15:39 pm »

My left joycon won't let me up smash in smash ult anymore.  Meanwhile, the wired xbox-lookalike bowser controller will randomly hold down.  I got one of the gamecube replica ones recently, we'll see what that one does.
Joysticks are always the first thing to go for every single controller/system I've ever had. Can anyone here point me to a controller where the buttons actually give out before the stick does (but not because the buttons are sucky)? Because if that even exists I would pay a premium for it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 12, 2019, 03:10:23 pm »

Joysticks are always the first thing to go for every single controller/system I've ever had. Can anyone here point me to a controller where the buttons actually give out before the stick does (but not because the buttons are sucky)? Because if that even exists I would pay a premium for it.

Replacement sticks are sold for a reason. You use them the most.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 12, 2019, 03:35:48 pm »

Yeah, what you should be looking for is something that takes a long time to go at all, not something where specifically the buttons go first.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 12, 2019, 04:33:05 pm »

Does it count that the D-Pad for my 3DS is barely functional(particularly the up button) while the analog pad and the C-pad are still working?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 13, 2019, 02:00:37 am »

Might just need a good cleaning.  I have looked inside an (older) 3ds, and it's nothing too sophisticated inside for the dpad. Basically the same kind of rubber contact found in a remote for a TV.  A good cleaning, and it should be right as rain.

Analog sticks on the other hand, work through an analog resistance rating going through the two axes of movement, and when that contact inside wears, it gets intermittant contact, and the ohm value changes for its resistivity. Thats why you have to replace them when they act wonky.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 03, 2019, 06:30:23 am »

So... I got my first switch yesterday. Any tips for long lasting joycons? (if any)

Also, I got Fire Emblem and I'm having fun. I got 35€ to spend (it came with a nice voucher), any games I should buy?

Thank you, bay12friends.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 03, 2019, 11:06:34 am »

There's nothing you can do about button presses and analog sticks. They all wear eventually. Get a hard case if you travel.

What game genre's are you interested in?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:27:38 am by BigD145 »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 04, 2019, 03:57:32 am »

I have played my switch pretty lightly, and kept the joycons clean and safe on their charger.

I have left joycon drift that's appeared suddenly and inexplicably.  It's just the design of the things.

Too damn bad that the pro controller costs so damn much.  That would be my suggestion- Turn off the joycons, put them away, and get a propad.  Get the joycons out only when you have friends over.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 05, 2019, 08:01:58 pm »

I have played my switch pretty lightly, and kept the joycons clean and safe on their charger.

I have left joycon drift that's appeared suddenly and inexplicably.  It's just the design of the things.

Too damn bad that the pro controller costs so damn much.  That would be my suggestion- Turn off the joycons, put them away, and get a propad.  Get the joycons out only when you have friends over.

Eh, I have a pro wired controller.  It also has drift, honestly worse than my joycons do.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 05, 2019, 09:07:10 pm »

The official wireless Pro Controller is pretty tough in my experience. I haven't had any drift issues with mine yet, and I use it pretty religiously on both my laptop (yes, you can connect it to Steam and it works amazingly well, gyro and all) and my Switch. Wired third-party stuff by and large can't be trusted. Even if it's really cheap, it'll typically not last long enough to make it worth the trouble compared to one of the official controllers. I say this from experience: do not buy any third party pro controllers unless they have amazing reviews and have stood the test of time.

Joycons you can't do much about. Use the Pro Controller more often if you can. If a joycon does start drifting, I would highly recommend getting a replacement stick and simply repairing it yourself. Trust me. I have never performed repairs on a controller before in my entire life, but I was able to completely fix my left joycon's stick by just following instructions online.

I paid something like... $11 for a full repair kit including two replacement sticks and the screwdrivers and stuff you'll need, instead of $40 for a completely new left joycon. Even considering 45 minutes of repair work (which will probably be less if I have to do it again) it's a pretty good deal, and it's not like you have much to lose; if your stick doesn't work and you manage to tear up your joycon's insides, well... you were probably planning on buying a new one anyway.

To be sure, it's a crappy situation and Nintendo should really be cracking down and paying top dollar to make sure less people are affected by joycon drift, but for the time being, doing repairs yourself is simply way cheaper than buying new 'cons.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 09:10:56 pm by Nighthawk »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 05, 2019, 10:40:05 pm »

But I'm fairly certain my wired one is official.  It's one of the ones with nintendo characters printed on it.

It never stops crouching in smash.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 06, 2019, 01:14:21 am »

But I'm fairly certain my wired one is official.  It's one of the ones with nintendo characters printed on it.

It never stops crouching in smash.
I'm no expert, but I've seen a fair few third party controllers that are licensed by Nintendo, but not made by them. Perhaps I worded things poorly. When I said "official," I should have said, "not third party." Nintendo can say, "Yeah, this controller is okay to use and won't blow up when you plug it into our system," but that doesn't guarantee the product's quality, necessarily.

As far as I'm aware, the wireless pro controller is the only controller made specifically for the Switch, by Nintendo, that actually holds up to rigorous use. I have not seen anything about a made-by-Nintendo wired controller.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]