Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 61826 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nintendo Switch
« on: October 20, 2016, 09:42:49 am »

So the first video of Nintendo's newest console, the Nintendo Switch, is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

I am pretty intrigued, I haven't bought a home console since the original Xbox but this one might get me back into console gaming if it turns out to be good.

It will be interesting to see if primarily portable titles (like pokemon) will end up on it too since there is a big emphasis on the portability of it.

(and yes, that was Skyrim on a Nintendo console. Portable Skyrim? Yes please!)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:45:20 am by Wiles »

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 10:06:49 am »

It looks solid. I like the design and the controller looks fairly ergonomic in all its forms. (The two player mini controller idea is either going to be genius or unusable, though.)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 10:24:22 am »

I was wondering when the next truly modular computer/console/etc system was going to be tried and this one is actually going to come out. IBM tried it for computers over a decade ago (in the 2000's but also way before) but it never went anywhere. We almost had a sort of clunky but not too bad mainstream wearable system that could also work at home or on the job. It likely got dropped in part because people really don't like taking work home and they shouldn't. Computers are also cheaper now and easier to get in homes. A gaming console is a different entity entirely.

This makes a lot of sense for Japan, Korea, and to some extent Europe, where people live in small homes and get out a lot. Honestly, I think it's too big for millennials in the US. They don't go for the big screen phones, they go small screen and pocketable. The older crowd gets bigger screens for their old eyes.

This is hands down a better WiiU, functionally, but it still needs 3rd party support or it's going nowhere. EVERYONE wanted the WiiU's gamepad to be the console. The Switch is it.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 10:30:07 am »

This makes a lot of sense for Japan, Korea, and to some extent Europe, where people live in small homes and get out a lot. Honestly, I think it's too big for millennials in the US. They don't go for the big screen phones, they go small screen and pocketable. The older crowd gets bigger screens for their old eyes.

Almost everyone I know has a giant ass phone.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 10:32:18 am »

First impressions... I'm pretty optimistic about this. And now I'm going to re-watch and note some things I like as I see them.

Name: Using a verb for a name...? It's not the end of the world but it just seems odd to me.
Home console: good. I'm curious about the way the dongle controllers (what should those be called?) 'dock' onto a controller frame with some kind of transmitter kinda like how the portable device itself has a dock, mainly because they show a more traditional style controller later on. Will it be like the WiiU where there's one 'primary' controller while the more traditional controllers are meant to be additions for multiple players?

For the dongle controllers... it would be really nice if I could play with them detached instead of hooked onto whatever that controller transmitter thing is. One of the things I liked about the Wii+nunchuck combination was that it allowed me to sit in any position I wanted. With normal controllers you have to keep your arms in a fixed spot which can be kinda awkward if you have a chair with arm rests or like keeping your arms close to your body.

The portable screen doesn't look too large, which should be nice. If it's much bigger than the 3dsXL then there's going to be problems. The detatchable controllers means you can keep them in another pocket without making the whole thing too big for one pocket. It also appears to have four shoulder buttons total which is an improvement over the 3ds.

When he gets to the hotel he puts the screen portion onto the dock with the controllers still attached, then uses the traditional controller I mentioned, so the first controller they showed with the transmitter thing in the center may be completely optional and only exist so that you don't need to buy a second controller if you don't want to...

I personally like the idea of using the dongle controllers as separate controllers for two/four different players. Reminds me of how in Mario Kart DS only one person needed to own the game in order to play with your friends locally.

I wonder if that transmitter controller thing doubles as a charger of some kind for the dongle controllers (Seriously what should we call these things)? It's likely not a motion/gyro sensor of some kind like I thought at first because they show someone about to play Splatoon with the traditional controller, and I heard that the motion controls in conjunction with analog sticks makes Splatoon actually playable.

Overall, I think Nintendo is on to something here. I may never take the thing out of its dock, but the option to do so is there, and it looks like they have a lot of functionality for their controls that makes them pretty versatile. It's not directly competing with mobile gaming because you can play at home with real controllers. If they can somehow also make this thing into a tablet of some kind then that could sell to a lot of people, similar to how people buy home consoles just to use as a blu-ray player, but I doubt that'll happen.

So... Monster Hunter, please?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 10:32:23 am »

At the 30 and up crowd I see the 7 and 8 inchers. In the 20's I see 6 inch tops.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 10:32:55 am »

This is hands down a better WiiU, functionally, but it still needs 3rd party support or it's going nowhere. EVERYONE wanted the WiiU's gamepad to be the console. The Switch is it.

There have been some announcements already about 3rd party support.

Here's a list of 3rd parties that have been announced so far:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 10:35:18 am »

Overall, I think Nintendo is on to something here. I may never take the thing out of its dock, but the option to do so is there, and it looks like they have a lot of functionality for their controls that makes them pretty versatile. It's not directly competing with mobile gaming because you can play at home with real controllers. If they can somehow also make this thing into a tablet of some kind then that could sell to a lot of people, similar to how people buy home consoles just to use as a blu-ray player, but I doubt that'll happen.

All I ask is that the darn thing work, plugged in, with a dead battery. I often skip console generations. A user replaceable battery would be better, but I don't see it happening.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/nintendos-next-console-is-called-the-nintendo-swit/1100-5499/
From the photos it looks like the screen height is about an inch taller than the 3DSXL.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:37:57 am by BigD145 »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 10:58:49 am »

All I ask is that the darn thing work, plugged in, with a dead battery. I often skip console generations. A user replaceable battery would be better, but I don't see it happening.
The only wireless thing I've really used in the past 10 years was a wireless headset (until my chair managed to murder it). I don't like having wireless mice/keyboard/controller just for this reason. Now that you mention it I never saw a wire come out of one of the controllers and into the console, so that could be a little worrying? If they're trying to get motion controls to be a major functionality then I can see them foregoing being able to play while connected entirely. I never had a WiiU so I don't know if it had anything like that. If they made the battery easy and quick to replace it may be a little better, but they would have to sell replacement batteries so you could have a spare on hand to switch out and I doubt that will happen. They'll probably just have an integrated battery like most other wireless things these days.

Here's a list of 3rd parties that have been announced so far:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's a pretty good list right there. I hope that there's a good selection of games at launch or soon afterwards.
... hey wait, Konami? Lol.

At the 30 and up crowd I see the 7 and 8 inchers. In the 20's I see 6 inch tops.
My phone is close to the n3dsXL's dimensions in terms of length and sort of in width and I feel that's already too big for a phone. Most people I see with phones have a phone that's about as large as mine and sometimes even bigger. I live in the USA in the northeast.
So yeah, people don't mind toting around a phone that's big like that. The question is... will they tote around their phone plus a gaming system? I doubt it. Unless the gaming system can outright replace their phone it's not going to happen.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 11:10:26 am »

My hands hurt just looking at that controller.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 11:16:29 am »

Which one? The one that's detachable or the one that looks a bit like an XboX controller?

E: Apparently the detachable controllers are called "Joy-cons"?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:28:40 am by OzyTheSage »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 11:28:51 am »

They show a guy in the plane playing with a detached half of a controller, so I'm pretty sure the little holder thing they show them docking into is literally just a holder. Maybe a battery pack at most.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 11:34:37 am »

In one of the first shots you can see the holder has a few green lights on it that turn off when he takes the things off so yeah, it's probably a charger for the... Joy-cons. I still think it might have some kind of motion sensor inside.
Still, you would need a way to plug that holder thing in somewhere to charge it right?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 11:54:56 am »

Which one? The one that's detachable or the one that looks a bit like an XboX controller?

E: Apparently the detachable controllers are called "Joy-cons"?

The non-portable version of the controller. As a mobile tablet looking thing, it's wide but that's the norm. When you're at home though? Are you actually supposed to play on the thing show in the pic at this link? http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/nintendos-next-console-is-called-the-nintendo-swit/1100-5499/
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 11:56:17 am »

Honestly, I think it's too big for millennials in the US. They don't go for the big screen phones, they go small screen and pocketable. The older crowd gets bigger screens for their old eyes.
Tiny phones are small and too damn hard to type on, and my pockets can hold a 3dsxl. If I had a good reason to get rid of my current phone I'd get a bigger one immediately.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37