Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 62256 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2017, 11:32:52 pm »

They've repeatedly marketed the Switch as being primarily a home console which can be made portable. It's not meant to be a next-gen portable, which is why the 3DS is staying while the Wii U isn't.

That's one of the big reasons that it's being mocked so heavily: it's a "home console" which looks like a hybrid gameboy with a bunch of Wii controllers and visuals that look three or four generations out of date. Maybe it'll be the precursor to a mature market the way early Microsoft tablet computers were, but recall how successful and well-remembered those were...

Basically it's an awkward transition console which doesn't look like it's going to do either role as well as a dedicated machine. The only people who are going to buy it after the initial rush of sales will probably be nintendrones and people desperate for exclusives.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2017, 12:19:04 am »

Well of course we'll see how much the 3DS staying actually pans out. That system IS old (the original 3DS came out in 2011!). What'll be telling is what platforms the next iterations of stuff like Pokemon/Monster Hunter/ect in a year or so get released for.

I'm still convinced the real potential of the machine would be competing against tablets for games, on the back of having actual controls and not just a touchscreen (ie why nearly all tablet/mobile games are utter dogshit). It doesn't NEED to be powerful for the type of games best suited for having it on the move anyways. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not going to jump into Zelda or such on a bus, I'd much rather say a Darkest Dungeon or Titan Souls, something I can play for 10-20 mins stints at a time.

The types of games that suit that tend to not need giant amounts of power, and work well with a controller. But same thing, time'll tell if the system gets a decent library for that purpose. I'd personally love it if it just got a bunch of ports of good indie games, but I won't hold my breath on it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2017, 06:47:37 pm »

I am still planning on getting one.  I probably won't preorder, but I'll still probably try to get one near or at launch.

I haven't had a console system in years.  I have an old nintendo wii that it literally only still hooked up for netflix. (which I don't even use myself, I watch netflix on my pc).  And I would like to try out a real console again.  I'm still of the opinion that traditional consoles won't last much longer, but people could rightly call me bias if I haven't played one in recent years.  The switch will give me some updated info to look at. 

The switch if anything seems to at least be trying to innovate in what I think is the correct direction for them to go to remain relevant.  With or without their insistence on crappy motion controls.  Nintendo also has stuff that interests me.  Playstation and Xbox have little in the way of games I'm interested in.  PS has Final Fantasy, Xbox has....uh....nothing, and Nintendo has Link, probably a pokemon side game a-la coliseum down the line, Smash Bros, Splatoon, Bomberman if konami can somehow avoid fucking it up...  I'f I'm going to buy a console it's going to be for more than 1 game.

Anyway I'm still tentatively on the hype train.  I've inched closer to the emergency exit, but I'm still technically within the cabin.  Hopefully they keep the online cost low enough to keep owning a switch more economical for gaming than just a cell phone with a data plan.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:49:30 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 18, 2017, 01:34:55 am »

I'll see what happens.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 18, 2017, 10:33:18 am »

You guys are all so logical and... smart (adjectives fail me). As for me, with BoTW coming as a release title, Nintendo already has me by the throat; I'm gonna get the system regardless of how things turn out.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 18, 2017, 12:21:31 pm »

Eh, don't worry, I know I'll buy one and the the Zelda at launch. and I'll surely get one or two other controllers once a good multiplayer game comes out (one that's not a Mario Kart). and I'll get this Mario World, it looks awesome :D

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 18, 2017, 07:34:57 pm »

BoTW is also going to be on Wii U. Although that seems like an even riskier purchase at this point.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 18, 2017, 07:42:43 pm »

BoTW is also going to be on Wii U. Although that seems like an even riskier purchase at this point.

I was gonna say. The Wii U was not a great console. Lots of dumb choices with the pad.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 18, 2017, 07:53:00 pm »

The idea of a console you can pick up and use as a tablet does actually sortof appeal to me. But it just seems like there won't be that many games for it, especially given it appears to have zero back-compatibility.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 18, 2017, 08:13:42 pm »

I am still planning on getting one.  I probably won't preorder, but I'll still probably try to get one near or at launch.

I haven't had a console system in years.  I have an old nintendo wii that it literally only still hooked up for netflix. (which I don't even use myself, I watch netflix on my pc).  And I would like to try out a real console again.  I'm still of the opinion that traditional consoles won't last much longer, but people could rightly call me bias if I haven't played one in recent years.  The switch will give me some updated info to look at. 

The switch if anything seems to at least be trying to innovate in what I think is the correct direction for them to go to remain relevant.  With or without their insistence on crappy motion controls.  Nintendo also has stuff that interests me.  Playstation and Xbox have little in the way of games I'm interested in.  PS has Final Fantasy, Xbox has....uh....nothing, and Nintendo has Link, probably a pokemon side game a-la coliseum down the line, Smash Bros, Splatoon, Bomberman if konami can somehow avoid fucking it up...  I'f I'm going to buy a console it's going to be for more than 1 game.

Anyway I'm still tentatively on the hype train.  I've inched closer to the emergency exit, but I'm still technically within the cabin.  Hopefully they keep the online cost low enough to keep owning a switch more economical for gaming than just a cell phone with a data plan.

You might not be able to pre-order even if you wanted to. Not bothering to make enough to even satisfy their most hardcore fans seems to be a thing with Nintendo.

We found out during the Nintendo Switch presentation on Thursday that the upcoming console is releasing on March 3, and pre-orders opened shortly afterwards on Friday. Now, just three days later, GameStop has already sold out their Nintendo Switch pre-orders.

Many other major retailers are also listing the console as unavailable. Walmart now lists the console as "out of stock" and Amazon says it is "unavailable." Target and Toys R Us list it as "coming soon." GameStop says that it is working closely with Nintendo to get more in stock and advises that customers should sign up for email notifications.

P.S. The top of the article says "Update: Nintendo Switch is available to pre-order at Walmart" but WalMart's website says they're out of stock again. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 18, 2017, 09:48:32 pm »

Well of course we'll see how much the 3DS staying actually pans out. That system IS old (the original 3DS came out in 2011!). What'll be telling is what platforms the next iterations of stuff like Pokemon/Monster Hunter/ect in a year or so get released for.
Next pokemon game will still be a handheld thing, unless they make another Colosseum/XD.
But Monster hunter? I doubt capcom even knows, they can't seem to make up their mind where to put the things.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 18, 2017, 09:50:27 pm »

I would be perfectly fine with them releasing Monster Hunter on PC.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2017, 11:51:54 am »

Monster Hunter Frontier exists, and has existed for a while, but unfortunately it's only available in Japan(and in Japanese), requiring a VPN or similar to connect.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 22, 2017, 08:41:02 pm »

Monster Hunter Frontier exists, and has existed for a while, but unfortunately it's only available in Japan(and in Japanese), requiring a VPN or similar to connect.
Is that the same gimmicky chinese mmo ispil mentioned?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 22, 2017, 09:11:55 pm »

No, the Chinese one is simply Monster Hunter Online. Frontier is the Japan-only game.

I wouldn't even mind if a hypothetical MH game on PC wasn't an MMO. Although it could be nice to have a room with more than 4 people in it...
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37