Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 60884 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #405 on: March 13, 2017, 01:29:29 am »

Eh. If it's not that good, just about everything I've seen in the last two or three decades is pretty much outright shit.

Yeah... that does seem legitimately likely.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 13, 2017, 01:47:51 am »

There are many things I think I would try differently on a second or third playthrough.  That said, even other zelda games that are basically on rails have some replay value if you put them on a shelf for a few months. Just play something else for awhile, then come back and revisit a golden oldie.

BotW looks like it will be a good alternative to skyrim for a quick romp through the wilderness. I just wish it had some crafting options for consumables, like arrows.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 13, 2017, 05:41:05 am »

Back on topic, I'm glad to hear the Switch is doing well and receiving the praise it is. Most of the praise seems to be oriented towards its capabilities as a portable rather than a home console, so I really do think a portable-specific package might be in Nintendo's interest, even without any hardware upgrades, just removing the controller housing thing and dock from the box and selling that. Like I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo released something like that in the coming months.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 13, 2017, 09:52:18 am »

How does BotW compare to Witcher 3, which iirc got the best reviews in the history of reviews for an open-world RPG?

Or to Horizon Zero Dawn, which people keep gushing about, but which is a ps4 exclusive?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 13, 2017, 11:35:04 am »

How does BotW compare to Witcher 3, which iirc got the best reviews in the history of reviews for an open-world RPG?

Or to Horizon Zero Dawn, which people keep gushing about, but which is a ps4 exclusive?
From what I've seen, Witcher 3 and BotW are kind of hard to compare. Witcher 3's strength is its story and writing with the mechanical side being kind of unremarkable. BotW's strengths seem to be more in how the player interacts with the world on a more mechanical basis with the story being mostly relegated to the background from what I've glimpsed of it.

They have their strengths in entirely different areas, Witcher 3 was clearly designed story first while BotW seems to have been designed mechanical interaction with the world first.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 14, 2017, 04:04:28 pm »

Tried to buy a Switch at GameStop. Sold out, but they wanted me to put down on a $600 bundle order for one. ...Yeaaahno.
This is pretty much exactly what happened to me. I've tried looking all over the place the past couple days, but still nothing. I was hoping that by waiting until a while after the system released I'd be able to avoid most of the swarms of people trying to buy it and make it easier to get my hands on one, but I ended up achieving the exact fucking opposite. Then again, waiting just over a week was probably far too little anyway.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 14, 2017, 04:12:25 pm »

Yeah, most of what I've noticed seems to suggest you're probably not going to have a good time getting at the things until at least early april.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 14, 2017, 10:40:49 pm »

be that as it may-- It looks like my prerequisite for purchase is already being explored:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/nintendo-switch-ships-with-unpatched-6-month-old-webkit-vulnerabilities/

It just enables arbitrary code at the context level of the browser, (BSD does a good job of preventing priv escalation)-- but as the hacker involved notes, "it's a starting point".  (It gives him/her a place to test code samples to look for a means to escalate out of the browser and into kernel space, where things get fun. Essentially a place to run execution jumps, or get payloads into memory pages to get executed by kernel mode code to perform second stage hijacks, etc.)

At this rate, I might buy one when they become available at the end of the year. :P

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 15, 2017, 12:02:08 am »

be that as it may-- It looks like my prerequisite for purchase is already being explored:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/nintendo-switch-ships-with-unpatched-6-month-old-webkit-vulnerabilities/

It just enables arbitrary code at the context level of the browser, (BSD does a good job of preventing priv escalation)-- but as the hacker involved notes, "it's a starting point".  (It gives him/her a place to test code samples to look for a means to escalate out of the browser and into kernel space, where things get fun. Essentially a place to run execution jumps, or get payloads into memory pages to get executed by kernel mode code to perform second stage hijacks, etc.)

At this rate, I might buy one when they become available at the end of the year. :P

The 3DS had a similar exploit in older firmware versions. It was mainly used for injecting data into the RAM through some cool overflow glitch; I used it to get well trained, ready to battle Pokemon. I could probably have used it to get some of the crazier skills in FEA easily, but I updated before i thought of that.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 24, 2017, 09:16:33 pm »

So Nintendo is doing a sort of open beta for Splatoon 2 ("global testfire") and it appears that they're using P2P connections. Getting some For Honor flashbacks here. If they stick with P2P servers then I am going to seriously question just what the hell they're going to be using the internet subscription fee to pay for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 24, 2017, 10:47:59 pm »

So Nintendo is doing a sort of open beta for Splatoon 2 ("global testfire") and it appears that they're using P2P connections. Getting some For Honor flashbacks here. If they stick with P2P servers then I am going to seriously question just what the hell they're going to be using the internet subscription fee to pay for.

What? Did people honestly believe they were using the subscription fee... to actually provide a better internet experience?

But maybe Splatoon 2 will be Peer to PEer... AND can be played without the subscription.

---

But honestly the P2P is probably because it is a Demo... Then again it would be HILLARIOUS if you could only play this demo if you subscribed to the internet fee.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:57:56 pm by Neonivek »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 24, 2017, 10:58:42 pm »

I mean, the whole point of having astress test is to test servers, but there's no point if you have no servers.

And if they just wanted to do it as a demo then it wouldn't be only open at specific times

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 24, 2017, 11:06:34 pm »

Foolish humans.

The obvious answer is obvious. There *IS* a server, and it IS involved in the connection-- It just is not providing the service you think it should be providing.  More than likely, it is providing some kind of DRM or monitoring service.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 27, 2017, 04:13:42 am »

If they stick with P2P servers then I am going to seriously question just what the hell they're going to be using the internet subscription fee to pay for.
1000 years from now, when they dig up Miyamoto's secret mausoleum lined with golden Wii Us and his terracotta army of Marios, you'll know what your "internet subscription fee" paid for.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 12, 2017, 06:18:50 pm »

Arise, slightly comatose thread. The Nintendo Direct is upon us, bringing news of upcoming games, including Kirby and Sonic games, Fire Emblem, and of course, Arms and Splatoon (No Smash Bros. announcement yet, sadly). Oh yeah, they also mentioned Senran Kagura. I say this because the particular news about it made me laugh my head off.

Go forth, fans, to your preferred online video-streaming site and take a look for more details.

(Here's a YouTube link to a video of the direct, for your convenience.)
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37