don't
- 2 (28.6%)
have
- 1 (14.3%)
time
- 3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: ☼Masterwork☼ human RUIN: Shielgates. Reclaiming experiments  (Read 20662 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Masterwork☼ human RUIN: Shielgates. Giving in to Nagas.
« Reply #180 on: December 24, 2016, 06:14:15 am »

Naga? I thought those were frogmen!

In the end, Shieldgates didn't boast any deadly architecture, slaying done purely by military.

Such a bloody tale

In a way, the potshots at nagas might have been the fatal mistake, though, allowing their climbing pathing to kick in.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 24, 2016, 08:56:20 am »

We actually survived that attack. It was the southern bridge that was poorly modified making it passable. As soon as I find some time I'll write that, too.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 24, 2016, 01:42:50 pm »

A Pyrrhic Victory indeed!  Those few in the military who survive must each be given a squad of fresh recruits, to train as well as they're able, to insulate them from further sieges. A law must be passed that each and every citizen above the age of eleven must spend at a minimum, two years training in the military and must also train one month out of twelve for the remainder of their lifetimes, to keep those initial skills from being forgotten.

What was once a thriving city may become so once again. As these past years have shown, only by full mobilization of the citizenry may the City continue to thrive.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 01:44:34 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 25, 2016, 08:31:13 am »

Well, it'd probably also survive with a secure castle, let alone with a devilishly deadly trap - maybe one nicknamed Nicé.

Arcturus

• Bay Watcher
  • Busy Being Worshiped By Alien Pagans
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 26, 2016, 05:34:37 am »

I can't help but feel partially responsible for this. If only I had trained everyone to fight a little like I planned.... It didn't seem necessary though the sieges weren't that bad when I played. Too bad the nagas could swim well and the moat had little effect. How many are left? Are there any troops left? 

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 27, 2016, 12:13:14 pm »

The Last Days of ShieldGates

Ch.II, Sacrifice of Rofa
Rofa was resting just a few minutes after the fight at the gates when a boy came in shouting
-They are in! Everywhere! The southern part of the city is being overrun!-
The proud warrior gathered the men who could still hold a weapon and ran to the brigde. Sensing the end was near he decided to sacrifice himself for the city and dived into the enemy lines. Rofa, finding himself surrounded and alone against a ever growing force, gave in and asked for a quick death to the invaders. In the meantime the mayor raised the bridge and everyone, saddened by the proud sacrifice of Rofa, started to haul bodies to the common grave.

ch.III, Slaughter at the River Crossing
A few hours went by and the sentinels dispatched at the bridge started to hear strange noises. A quick peek was enough to understand the dire situation. Slithering nagas were coming full speed toward the raised bridge... Their intention was clear enough: they wanted to jump. The few brave soldiers left tried to anticipate them building a palisade on the sides of the bridge
but it was just too late. A dozen of naga broke in and mauled the futile resistance to a pulp.

We don't really know what happened after that. The few human survivors tried to run for their lives but probably died of starvation in the woods around the city.

OOC.
Two structural problems destroyed Shieldgates
-The main gate could be climbed (i don't really know why, IIRC smooth walls can't be climbed)
-Thr river bridge wasn't sealed against jumpers (I should have noticed that but i was dealing with animals, my bad)

If someone wants to start a reconquest of the city I can upload the save
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:27:30 pm by IlFedaykin »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 27, 2016, 12:17:50 pm »

We actually survived that attack.
So, we ACTUALLY don't survived it? I'm don't understand a bit.   ::)
Also,
Ch.III, Sacrifice of Rofa
and
ch.III, Slaughter at the River Crossing
;D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:24:13 pm by MCreeper »

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 27, 2016, 12:37:36 pm »

Yea we survived the first attack on the wall  :P

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 27, 2016, 12:40:49 pm »

Got it. I may grab the save a try to reclaim the city. Failing horribly, i guess.  ;D

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 27, 2016, 01:11:03 pm »

In a couple of day i should have a connection stable enough to upload the save

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 28, 2016, 11:52:09 am »

- Bye, bye Rofa

Bye bye, Shieldgates

Bye bye, everyone living in The Infinite Universe

- Smooth walls and buildings cannot be climbed.

Walls made from blocks or stone can be, though, and Shieldgates certainly didn't obsidian-cast the surrounding walls.
Also, creatures can grab walls on z-level above if they're standing in front of them and beneath, usually. (raised bridges without walls above = can't climb, bridges with walls and floors above - can climb)

Then there's jumping - I recall a story about a bronze colossus getting in an overhanged fort in DFFMD...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:55:34 am by Fleeting Frames »

Arcturus

• Bay Watcher
  • Busy Being Worshiped By Alien Pagans
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 30, 2016, 06:00:57 pm »

- Bye, bye Rofa

Bye bye, Shieldgates

Bye bye, everyone living in The Infinite Universe

- Smooth walls and buildings cannot be climbed.

Walls made from blocks or stone can be, though, and Shieldgates certainly didn't obsidian-cast the surrounding walls.
Also, creatures can grab walls on z-level above if they're standing in front of them and beneath, usually. (raised bridges without walls above = can't climb, bridges with walls and floors above - can climb)

Then there's jumping - I recall a story about a bronze colossus getting in an overhanged fort in DFFMD...

I think it may have something to do with naga's swimming ability too. They swim innately so where most creatures won't enter water they jump right into it as long as it's the fastest path to their target. That combined with what you said probably is what did Shieldgates in.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 30, 2016, 08:31:21 pm »

So... This is why overhanging walls are a good thing, I guess - to keep good climbers from zipping over walls.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 30, 2016, 08:56:46 pm »

For Shieldgates, raised bridges as walls would have been cheaper and also prevented climbing expect by treetops (and I personally think they look nicer, too.

But with the jumpers and fliers, I don't completely trust anything that isn't completely unapproachable, tbh - be it by reaching the sky or being roofed over. Though regarding that, I saw an interesting challenge element for me to try on scenario generator: no walls, no gates, no bridges. (Other element was alongside as many towers as possible, which might be a bit... ^^;;.)

I imagined that as something like Shieldgates or ConstructIvory, but without walls. Larger maps with baits would work better due the needed 20 tile sight separation.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 31, 2016, 07:39:29 am »

I imagined that as something like Shieldgates or ConstructIvory, but without walls. Larger maps with baits would work better due the needed 20 tile sight separation.

nice idea but REALLY hard since a lot of MDF enemies are trapavoid

P.S. i uploaded last save, it's in the main post
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15