don't
- 2 (28.6%)
have
- 1 (14.3%)
time
- 3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: ☼Masterwork☼ human RUIN: Shielgates. Reclaiming experiments  (Read 20737 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Masterwork☼ human RUIN: Shielgates. Reclaiming experiments
« Reply #210 on: January 10, 2017, 08:33:52 am »

Ok, here is little update.

Behold, it’s Meng Smoketeach, badgerwoman countess! What’s wrong with it? 1. She isn’t countess of badgermans. 2. She is sitting in my fort. Also badgermans civ screen.

Forgot to update:Expedition leader’s leg almost fully healed(only dent last) and she can walk now.

So, Humans are inside, golem is gone, time to finally pull that damn lever that open entrance to the fort. Only lever I found was lever on third level of mason’s guild, so I ordered to pull it. Hmm… It seems that stairs to second level is broken…  Ordered to rebuild it, but humans preferring to gather blueberries from farmplot, rather build-deconstruct something. I waited some time, then set “pull lever” order to “do this task now!”. Someone immediately rushed to do this. *facepalm* But when lever finally has been pulled, it turned out that it not linked to the bridges. *facepalm x2* Ok, link bridges to this lever, then.  Weaponsmith has put artifact mechanisms to main bridge,  went to the lever, but then… I’m already don’t remember what I done to him, but task has been canceled. Facepalm combo! Containing URGE to destroy this damn bridge at all, I reset the task.
   Expedition leader, temporarily set to healing duty. She is now healing Jirdo, though VERY slowly, since she must walk very big distance to get to cloth-thread-whatever is needed for healing.
   “Ghostly” child has grown to become a peasant and has disappeared immediately.
Though one more “ghost” has come soon after this. It seems there are always nine of them. Reminds this “guys”, strangely.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  Smiths joined smiths guild.

I ordered armorer to produce two sets of steel plate armor. I hope there is enough steel for this.
Jirdo has healed from” his arm is mabgled beyond recognition” to “his arm is shattered” (Why the hell he can’t walk because of this?) and for no reason get out of hospital.

Of course. Of course they don’t able to finish linking before caravan come. I bought two barrels of booze and some food. Few inevitable good thoughts reduce more stress points then over9000 “horrified”s and constant haunting by ghosts produce anyways.

Something has collapsed on the surface!

Ilum Firefondled, proficient bladewoman, finally deconstructed my first attempt to climb over the walls and fallen in the river being unconscious. Now she feeds carps instead of training new warriors.
  Both bridges finally has been linked to the lever, and this lever has been pulled. Yay.

Finally in 21 of Sandstone, migrants has arrived. There are competent weaponsmith(when you don’t need them… >:( ) , gemcutter(set to catapult, since he have some siege operating skill), competent wood burner-adequate armorer (assigned to militia since she is “mighty”, peasant, cheese maker, fisherman and carpenter-bowyer. It’s enough of migrants to start work on fortifications. Also, what the hell is the dark freaks, that preferred for their macabre ways and glasseye and beryl spirits that can be consumed!?

Ex-tavern(?) gather all kinds of people: goblins, dwarves, nagas, badgerman, and even damn Giant Spider Fiend. Named accordingly.

Strangely, some humans (militia commander and new recruit) have strange thought about “having rescued”, and I’m even seen, how expedition leader “rescued” militia  commander, but he have no wounds.
  It is beginning of winter now. Nothing very interesting happened. Militia of two pikemans are training, fortifications are being built (they are looking a pretty ugly, though),  and all is fine, except this stupid Ilum’s death.
4. The easiest way I know of is to make 3 stacks of coins, trade 1 stack to traders, then make a macro to trade pair of coins from the 2 stacks you have for 1 coin the trader has five times, then run the macro 99 times. If you want to do coinstar or drop loop training, I dunno how safe coins are, but wooden earrings are quite safe on embark dwarves' clothes.
Thanks for answers!  :D No, i'm just noticed, that you can broke someone's bone by throwing coin in him, and wondered, if it possible to make minecart shotgun.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:41:36 pm by MCreeper »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2017, 10:14:48 am »

Interesting - is Shieldgates neverland, that kids disappear when they grow up?

It sure seems chaotic. "Their wagons have bypassed your inaccessible site", indeed.

Wait, Vanod is a weresmith? Armorer by daylight, smithing by moonlight..

Well, as long as they can work it is fine.

Weaponsmith migrant is never bad. Can mood into something nice!

Strange thoughts indeed. Being rescued...Occurs with adv. mode rescuing of children. Being freed happens with being released from cages, though.

Sadly(?), minecart shotguns don't break apart the fired stacks (if they did, waterguns would have some interesting, if laggy, uses). Though it does mean shotgunning a stack of bolts will be edged and hit the weight of whole stack, as useless as the action may be.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2017, 01:32:32 pm »

I finished my turn.
  Forgot to update: “ghostly” child don’t actually disappeared, I just mislooked.
        This fort seems to have “lack of militia” curse, i.e. me. To train warriors faster I ordere dthem to kill one of the “hostile” nagas, but don’t taken to mind, that they don’t equipped their gauntlets for some reason. “Meh, it’s two  pikemans with mithril pikes and good armor, what one naga can do to them? I mean, naga can’t kill them by hitting only their arms, right?”

NOPE
This is engraving of MCreeper, Bugi, Bugi’s left lower arm and naga. Bugi’s left lower arm is flying. Bugi is dead. Naga is laughing. MCreeper is laughing trough facepalm.
  Though, steel plate armor deflected all strikes of bronze sword, so if nagas will came with bronze-grade weapons, you can just send armored lye makers on them. Trouble is, they PROBABLY will not do so.
   Expedition leader lying in the hospital “Faint”  and without left leg. Turns out, one of the ghosts battered her, cutting  her leg off. Armorer bring her crutch. I tried to bury some corpses, but they preferring to bury nagas, then humans. Forgot that I just can make tomb, then coffins get claimed for nagas, than I said “meh, I’ll do it later”…
     I said Mimap, the gem cutter has been assigned to catapult? No, damn it, she isn’t. She prefers to cancel “load ballista” job, since I don’t have ballista ammo instead of building catapult. Smiths made her ballista arrows, then she slowly assembled them, then she even more slowly loaded ballista with said arrows, then she finally assembled catapult, then I decided that building catapult 10 tiles away from “quantum stockpile” is not very good idea,  then she decided to ignore catapult parts from previous catapult, then… well, I killed her, actually. >:(
   She was outside, slaughtering the trees around the wall,  when surface “cave brute” attacked her. Or she attacked brute, don’t sure. Said brute attacked succubus thief before, and get open artery and cut fat in the fight, before throwing succubus away, tearing-bruising the lungs and ending the fight. Though succubus is stay alive now.
   So, Mimap attacked brute with her iron battle axe, and done fairly well, before fourth page,
when brute broke her arm, causing her to drop her axe.

But brave(or stupid) gem cutter kept attacking the brute with her bare arms(legs, teeth).
I ordered “militia commander” to kill the brute, but canceled-reordered few times, when I thought (name) will kill brute herself, so commander don’t get to brute in time.
On 13-14 page (name) passed out from over exertion, and brute just strangled her, gaining title “Declineclasp”. What militia commander does? Why, he goes to eat! Ok then, I gathered all citizens in one squad to kill the brute before he leaves the map. Weaponsmith, who get out outside for some reason, bumped in another brute, which broke his arm in two places and run away when I unussigned weaponsmith out of squad.
  Carpenter Lon Ellozras  get to Declineclasp first. He was equipped by steel axe, so he was able to severe brute’s nerves and arteries. Brute broke Lon’s leg, though. After 3 pages of fight, they decided they get enough of this.
   Weaponsmith upgraded exceptional quality mithril pike to masterpiece. It goes to militia self-commander, though he just refuses to wear gauntlets. Another bugs, perhaps, he changes all other equipment perfectly.
     Ghost battered migrant weaponsmith, cutting his leg off too. But humans ignore freshly engraved memorial slabs as they ignore barrels in carpenter workshops, and prepared food in kitchen.

I built some bridges-levers. Lever in third level of mason’s guild\memorial hall\expedition leader quarters controls main bridges(i.e. west and south.) lever in the meeting hall controls bridges of the bunker. Lever on first level of bunker, near to door, controls east bridge, lever near north bridge of bunker controls north main bridges(most north of them, actually). You can move to any less confusing place, of course.

In the end of spring, humas finally get enough time to put some people in their tomb, including  that battered expedition leader and weaponsmith. No more legless cripples! 

Ok, here the safe.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12658
Notes to next overseer:
 We playing from summer to summer now.
I built some new bridged exits for fort. Lever in third level of mason’s guild\memorial hall\expedition leader quarters controls main bridges(i.e. west and south.) lever in the meeting hall controls bridges of the bunker. Lever on first level of bunker, near to door, controls east bridge,
lever near north bridge of bunker controls north main bridges(most north of them, actually). You can move them to any less confusing place, of course.  :P
  Wall extending obviously isn't finished yet, cause of lack of workforce. You call migrants for gold in merchants guild.
 Carpenter workshop with now-empty wood stockpile is placed on the south side of river.
Stockpile near smiths guild is for exceptional quality weapons and armor, which you can upgrade to masterpieces.
Make humans use barrels and not ignore memorial slabs.
And make this damn militia commander wear his gauntlets already!(and not only him >:( Bugi didn't wear her gauntlets too)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2017, 03:34:49 pm »

Ehehehe. Trained naga versus untrained humans?

Well, that could have gone better indeed, if the naga had kept on hitting steel.

So, what can an 'armless militaman do?

Ah, I see. Die, I guess.

Bye bye, untrained humans. Skill really does help determine the military success.

Btw, they're not wearing gauntlets because they're wearing gloves - it's one of the other; those things are both "Shaped". This is why the standard recommendation is "replace clothes".

Hope you noted, named and linked the levers.

Arcturus

• Bay Watcher
  • Busy Being Worshiped By Alien Pagans
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2017, 09:31:06 am »

Hey, recently back from my usual break from the Dwarf Fortress community (I need those from time to time). Looks like no one wants the save at this point. I guess I can just jump in then? Seems a waste to not make Shieldgates great again, like the Donald Trump of Dwarf Fortress. Our roads and bridges will be second to none you know. Will be using the words very, very a very lot from now on. We will be very, very well defended as well. No need to repeat this : "Nagas just swam the moat and climbed the walls" thing. I hope you started on improving the walls to be naga-proof guys, because we have a very, very large wall to build. Holy shit I am the Donald Trump of Dwarf Fortress, now all I have to do is kick the people out of the bar and call them illegal immigrants.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:38:29 am by Arcturus »

Arcturus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2017, 10:49:25 am »

Summer 195

Autumn

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:49:57 pm by Arcturus »

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2017, 01:57:38 pm »

Hey, recently back from my usual break from the Dwarf Fortress community (I need those from time to time). Looks like no one wants the save at this point. I guess I can just jump in then? Seems a waste to not make Shieldgates great again, like the Donald Trump of Dwarf Fortress. Our roads and bridges will be second to none you know. Will be using the words very, very a very lot from now on. We will be very, very well defended as well. No need to repeat this : "Nagas just swam the moat and climbed the walls" thing. I hope you started on improving the walls to be naga-proof guys, because we have a very, very large wall to build. Holy shit I am the Donald Trump of Dwarf Fortress, now all I have to do is kick the people out of the bar and call them illegal immigrants.
And we'll make the naga pay for the wall, of course

The southern quarry is for flux, make sure the underground drain has been walled as well. The door has a retracting bridge iirc
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:03:39 pm by IlFedaykin »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2017, 02:14:59 pm »

*amused* The first step makes sense, but still... ironic :P

I guess the door pre-dates moat.

Nah, hostile residents problem is present even without embark-tools.

Arcturus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 03, 2017, 09:50:17 pm »

Winter 195

Here's The Save : http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12698

I submitted the save early because I just feel better if everyone plays from spring to spring. Pardon my OCD.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:54:07 am by Arcturus »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 06, 2017, 05:49:46 am »

Don't know about large scale attacks, but I guess you should expect werebeasts now.

Have you tried fighting Succubi in partially-submerged diagonally-snaking corridors? Should minimize their ranged attacks.

Arcturus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 08, 2017, 03:53:07 pm »

Don't know about large scale attacks, but I guess you should expect werebeasts now.

Have you tried fighting Succubi in partially-submerged diagonally-snaking corridors? Should minimize their ranged attacks.

The thought never occurred to me to submerge anything when fighting succubi. Will have to try this on a dwarven fort sometime. Wouldn't work too well in a human fort unless of course you use pumps. That would have the side effect of creating a waterfall which may boost morale. I'll think about, maybe on my next turn I'll make something like this.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 09, 2017, 01:25:44 am »

Some of the things you were wondering about have indeed an explanation. The wall door, for example, was a temporary exit and has a retracting bridge
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]