Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves wont equip plate gauntlet  (Read 1780 times)

Griskard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves wont equip plate gauntlet
« on: October 22, 2016, 05:14:06 am »

Im 90% sure my military uniform is set up right, but dwarf therapist is still telling me my military dwarves are missing their plate gauntlets, although I have plenty available of the right material.

Do they conflict with plate armour or something?

Also my workshop items don't fully match the manual. For example I don't have "plate helms", but I have helms and caps. Caps aren't mentioned in the manual. Is this just a naming issue and caps = helms and helms = plate helms?

I tried the search function and it seems noone else has had this problem, so I am guessing I am overlooking something obvious.

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves wont equip plate gauntlet
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 06:37:03 am »

What else are you equipping on the hand slot? Also are you using anything like an arm harness? I can't remember specifically its name, but it prevents using gloves as it covers that part but I think the partial ones does, if you understand. The layering system is a pain in the arse especially with all the new armour types added with the various mods, I spent a good 2 hours theory crafting finding out which ones are best, I do setup my military with two plate gauntlets as they tend to sometimes only like to equip 1, same with plate boots, perhaps this is whats happening.

People can correct my build if they know better.

Helm Metal
Hood x2 Padded

Plate Armour Metal
Mail shirt x3 Metal
Cloak x6 Padded

Greave Metal 
Trousers x2 Padded

Plate gauntlets x2 Metal (Sometimes they only equip one)
Mittens x2 Padded

Plate Boots x2 Metal
Shoes x2 Padded

Tower shield wood early on then mithril (very light metal) or if very strong and high armour user skill then a heavy metal type for more bashing damage
Generally I go for axes (Bardiche if I can, it's two handed normally, or 1 handed depending on strength/size of dwarf. It has massive contact area and most of the time if it hits it usually severs) best vs most IMO, its far too circumstantial to say 1 type of weapon is best though, e.g. spear for megabeasts titans, whips/warhammer for armoured etc

I can't remember about great helm / horned great helm being better I got frustrated at that point after spending so long on reading into the stats same with arm / leg harnesses.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 06:38:34 am by zakhad »
LP'er

Griskard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 07:53:05 am »

What else are you equipping on the hand slot? Also are you using anything like an arm harness? I can't remember specifically its name, but it prevents using gloves as it covers that part but I think the partial ones does, if you understand. The layering system is a pain in the arse especially with all the new armour types added with the various mods, I spent a good 2 hours theory crafting finding out which ones are best, I do setup my military with two plate gauntlets as they tend to sometimes only like to equip 1, same with plate boots, perhaps this is whats happening.

People can correct my build if they know better.

Helm Metal
Hood x2 Padded

Plate Armour Metal
Mail shirt x3 Metal
Cloak x6 Padded

Greave Metal 
Trousers x2 Padded

Mittens x2 Padded

Plate Boots x2 Metal
Shoes x2 Padded

Tower shield wood early on then mithril (very light metal) or if very strong and high armour user skill then a heavy metal type for more bashing damage
Generally I go for axes (Bardiche if I can, it's two handed normally, or 1 handed depending on strength/size of dwarf. It has massive contact area and most of the time if it hits it usually severs) best vs most IMO, its far too circumstantial to say 1 type of weapon is best though, e.g. spear for megabeasts titans, whips/warhammer for armoured etc

I can't remember about great helm / horned great helm being better I got frustrated at that point after spending so long on reading into the stats same with arm / leg harnesses.

Ahh! Thank you, It was other items they had on preventing them being equipped.

Another question, rather than starting another thread.

Where the hell is the research lab? I can't seem to find it, and I need coins badly.

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 08:33:08 am »

Inventor's workshop? Archaeologist workshop? They're the only two i know that might do what you say I haven't really ever got that far to have to research so to speak, or are you referring to magma workshops? They're unlocked once you have a tear of the mountain to make a magma well, which can be a rare find in any stone tile or through archaeology.

Edit - DO NOT CUT the tear of the mountain via jewellery workshop I found out the hard way T_T can't be used in reaction to make magma well.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:35:17 am by zakhad »
LP'er

Griskard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 09:08:11 am »

Inventor's workshop? Archaeologist workshop? They're the only two i know that might do what you say I haven't really ever got that far to have to research so to speak, or are you referring to magma workshops? They're unlocked once you have a tear of the mountain to make a magma well, which can be a rare find in any stone tile or through archaeology.

Edit - DO NOT CUT the tear of the mountain via jewellery workshop I found out the hard way T_T can't be used in reaction to make magma well.

I read something about a research lab. I need to make a mint to get some coins going, but I have no way of building one as far as I can see. I believe I have to research it, but I have no idea how that works. I had temperature off at the start so my 'knowledge' didnt evaporate either.

p0m1d0rka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 09:09:35 am »

Helm Metal
Hood x2 Padded

Plate Armour Metal
Mail shirt x3 Metal
Cloak x6 Padded

Greave Metal 
Trousers x2 Padded

Mittens x2 Padded

Plate Boots x2 Metal
Shoes x2 Padded

Thenk you! What about metal clouthing? Like silver hoods or cloaks.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 09:24:22 am »

Coins are currently made directly in the forge.

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 09:46:18 am »

Helm Metal
Hood x2 Padded

Plate Armour Metal
Mail shirt x3 Metal
Cloak x6 Padded

Greave Metal 
Trousers x2 Padded

Mittens x2 Padded

Plate Boots x2 Metal
Shoes x2 Padded

Thenk you! What about metal clothing? Like silver hoods or cloaks.

If you can craft it out of metal its obviously going to be better, as far as I know you cant, unless mood? Padded is like iron or bronze level of protection I think, so its pretty good. Although you should either stop making threads into cloth or how i do it is just set a limit to like 10 via alt w as you still need some for suturing
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:48:14 am by zakhad »
LP'er

p0m1d0rka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 11:03:19 am »

Helm Metal
Hood x2 Padded

Plate Armour Metal
Mail shirt x3 Metal
Cloak x6 Padded

Greave Metal 
Trousers x2 Padded

Mittens x2 Padded

Plate Boots x2 Metal
Shoes x2 Padded

If you can craft it out of metal its obviously going to be better, as far as I know you cant, unless mood? Padded is like iron or bronze level of protection I think, so its pretty good. Although you should either stop making threads into cloth or how i do it is just set a limit to like 10 via alt w as you still need some for suturing
You can  extract metal strand in craftdwarf's workshop and make metal cloth in forge.
for example:http://imgur.com/rN9RtA8

PS: where i can make padded hoods?

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 03:31:41 pm »

Helm Metal
Hood x2 Padded

Plate Armour Metal
Mail shirt x3 Metal
Cloak x6 Padded

Greave Metal 
Trousers x2 Padded

Mittens x2 Padded

Plate Boots x2 Metal
Shoes x2 Padded

You can  extract metal strand in craftdwarf's workshop and make metal cloth in forge.
for example:http://imgur.com/rN9RtA8

PS: where i can make padded hoods?

I did see that, I thought it was a bug, only meant for adamantine. if its made from silver its going to weigh a ton though slowing you down without a lot of armour user skill, and padded is bronze/iron equivalent. Hum... thinking about it i'm not sure if its only good against blunt damage as an bronze/iron equivalent and much less against slashing, DF tends to work that way but still your putting as much armour on as you can so it doesn't hurt.

Its one of the new masterwork weaving stations, (Sorry i don't remember specifically it's name but i know its got a fairly obvious name. It's grouped with the new masterwork workshops and its a 3x3 not the silk reel but in the same list) You make padded from there, and then you make cloth hood as you normally would but specify using padded as the material. 
LP'er