Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Addition to wars  (Read 1246 times)

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
Addition to wars
« on: October 22, 2016, 06:44:05 am »

In a DF battle, an attacking army advances on an enemy site and either wins or loses. I'd like that two or 3 armies from different sites can come down on one enemy in both Legends and Fortress mode, and to be able to send an army of dwarves in Fortress mode. In addition, I'd also like that in adventure mode, you can play as a soldier.

I'd also like that a civ can fight another civ of the same race (dwarf vs dwarf, elf vs elf).

Addendum 1:
An actual, in-game alliance between two or more civilizations acknowledged by the game. Like Human civ X and Dwarf civ Y form Alliance A to attack Goblin civ Z.

Addendum 2:
Dwarf civilizations able to send sieging armies and be able to go on the offensive.

Addendum 3:
A defending civilization sending armies to the attacking civilization's sites, and a militia of a in any civilization (or alliance) intercepting an attacking army, causing a battle.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 06:32:15 am by HMetal2001 »
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Addition to wars
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 08:21:36 am »

I believe battles are already planned for future versions of the game. As for civil wars, they would be incredibly dumb (for the dwarves to decide upon doing) unless they were the main race in power and most all the threats to their reign were gone. For example, if dwarven civs quarreled during a Dwarven Age, humans during a Twilight Age, and so on.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 08:32:31 am »

I believe battles are already planned for future versions of the game. As for civil wars, they would be incredibly dumb (for the dwarves to decide upon doing) unless they were the main race in power and most all the threats to their reign were gone. For example, if dwarven civs quarreled during a Dwarven Age, humans during a Twilight Age, and so on.

I think he meant for it to be between two different civs of the same race regarding intra-racial conflict. I actually kind of imagine humans, elves, and dwarves as being especially prone to this, compared to goblins who aren't all that picky about where they plop thier dark fortresses; "habitable" mountain/forest/grassland territories could be very limited on a given world (especially ones tailored for high evil or savagery,) causing different central  governments of the same race to fight over territory/control in a "there can be only one" type of deal unless a "high king" type of position can arise during world-gen to help maintain the peace between [race x] governments, where the different leaders elect one amongst themselves to enforce peace in some manner.

Humans meanwhile, seem to be capable of limited civil wars in world-gen already, with communities within the same civ  now deciding to fight eachother over things that wouldn't really be a concern to the central government (I can recall at least one account of two towns fighting over water rights, for example, and legends viewer often shows several accounts of battles between groups of the same civ when looking at human ones.)

I do like the option of being able to start as a soldier if the civ you start in is at war, possibly starting you in a camp with your side's army.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 11:02:01 am »

In the suggestion subforum, can I add to my original suggestion/statement? I'm new here. (Thanks to TVTropes, I know about ...)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 12:36:08 pm »

That you can. Simply edit your original post to add what you deem needed.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:50:53 am »

I'd also like that a civ can fight another civ of the same race (dwarf vs dwarf, elf vs elf).

I'm pretty sure that this already happens, though not frequently.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 04:58:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure that this already happens, though not frequently.

I've personally seen it from time to time among humans, but I haven't actually seen it between dwarves or elves, though I have seen groups from separate civs/races fight eachother without whole civs being dragged in a couple times which just resulted in some deaths on both sides and whoever won pillaging the place.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 08:07:21 pm »

Dwarves currently won't fight dwarves because they don't send sieges. They just keep defending until the enemy runs out of able bodies.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 06:37:16 am »

I have edited the OP for some new suggestion. This post is here just to get your attention. Post your feedback, highlight inaccuracies, and tear it apart if you have to.