Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Mod Adventures  (Read 14105 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Mod Adventures
« on: October 22, 2016, 12:31:53 pm »

Inspired by ZM5's Adventures in the Planes of Portent.

My idea for this thread is that I will go into a mod, make an adventurer and document my experience. After the adventurer dies, I'll move on to another mod. I could also go back to a mod sometimes. I encourage others to also contribute their own modded adventurers.

My first mod for this will be IndigoFenix's Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom.

World -1

I made a small world with a short history.

It doesn't look like history went very well for this version of Mario world. Only villain civs exist.

I decide to play a wilderness creature.

Looking through the list, Piranha Bean looks interesting. The Mario Wiki tells me it's a subspecies of the piranha plant. I would have preferred to play a Yoshi, but they don't exist in this world. I go with the plant.

I make a biter/wrestler character since that seems in keeping with the nature of the thing.

I decided to spawn in a shyguy hillock, since they seemed like the least evil species available.

The shyguys have a somewhat interesting backstory as Mario characters. They first appeared in Super Mario 2, which was not originally even a Mario game. It was originally released in Japan as Doki Doki Panic. The reason for this was that the original Super Mario sequel was believed to be too similar and difficult for western audiences, so Doki Doki Panic was adapted into a Mario game. Thus Doki Doki panic's enemies and some gameplay concepts were absorbed into Mario.

Back to the mod. Upon starting, I run into some unexpected difficulties.

As a piranha plant, I can neither speak nor open doors. I wasted some time trying to escape from the hillock, until I realize I can just fast travel away. Eventually, I reach the sea and rest for the night. I chose the beach since bogeymen cannot spawn there as far as I know. I think I turned them off in worldgen though.

Since I can't ask for any quests, I decide to wander the world until I find some bandits to eat. I wander through the woods for some time, getting farther and farther away from civilization. I find no pipes to inhabit, unfortunately.

Eventually, I get attacked by five scutlets.

The Mario wiki says these are cockroach-like enemies that only appeared in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. They have a long tongue for attacks.

They attack and the fight is on. I lead off by biting off a tongue and ripping off a leg.  They retaliate with a tongue-punch bruising a leaf and a tackle cracking my stem. These don't seem like major injuries. Much dodging and whiffed blows also goes on. I go for another bite but a scutlet catches my teeth in mid chomp. I break away and the brawl continues. After another leg rip for them and superficial damage for me, I land a crushing bite on a scutlet's torso. With a shake, I tear it apart completely. After that a leg ripped scutlet bleeds out. Now that I know their weakness I crush another scutlet in my jaws. Unfortunately, the two remaining bugs decide they won't tolerate that. One punches my teeth out with a blow to the tongue as I go for another chomp. I struggle to continue.

Without my teeth, I have barely any means of attack and they continue to pummel me with tongue blows to the leaves and roots. The fight then turns around as I adjust to wrestling. I catch the one who crippled me by the tongue as it goes for another jab and toss it back. It slides across the ground and I jump after it.  I repeatedly bodyslam it along the ground. Three jumps later it comes to a halt, bleeding from shattered legs and a split torso. After a bit of a scuffle, the last suvivor is similarly dispatched.

I leave the scene and eventually find my way to a goomba town. The fight with the scutlets had left me permanently damaged, but I was still able to wrestle.

The goombas are from the original Super Mario and one of the most famous enemies in the series. They were added late in development, and were designed so that their animation would only need one frame that flips back and forth.

These seem not to require stomping presently however. I head off into the forest again. Eventually, I walk through a forest of giant mushrooms to a stream for a drink. After being refreshed, I look around. I see a lunge fish in the stream and a wiggler on land.

I decide to test myself against the wiggler to see if I can still go on without my teeth. As I cross the lake though, the lunge fish attacks me.

Although my leaf was smashed, I can still use it somehow. I stop a bite by catching the fish's teeth. Sadly, my poor plant is unable to throw the fish. As it turns out, the lunge fish is over twice my size. After a short scuffle, the outcome is reached.

Too bad about *hé-ho ❤~!ho*hé-hé. we hardly knew ye. That blow to the teeth was crippling. I think sometime I might come back to this mod. It was fun to play the plant, but without being able to speak I couldn't access much of the mod. Anyway, I will move on to a new mod next time.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:45:51 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Mod Adventures.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 04:06:02 pm »

I guess this world was the post-apoc AU version of Mario where the disenfranchised minor villain races got together, overthrew Bowser and defeated the brothers.

Typing that out, I'm surprised it's not the plot to a Mario and Luigi game.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 09:38:27 pm »

Next up is Teh LOLmod. Full disclosure, I contributed a bit to this mod.

A fishy situation

This time, I made a perfectly average world, with all sliders set to the middle.

Here's Teh LOLmod's race list. Most of them are fine, except some fool added a politician civ. Forumites are reskinned dwarves. I chose to play them.

My goal was to build a town and use a chainsaw, so I made an axemite.

Upon spawning, I realized that everything was terrible and I was doomed. I had spawned in a Fortress. As for my gear, I had a chainsaw and a wiki article for a shield.

I began looking for a way out. I soon came across an older woman with a sword. She told me of various bandits and beast plaguing the world. I asked her to join me and surprisingly she agreed. She only asked for glory and death. What followed was a long walk around the halls of the fortress. I found several stairs, but they only went deeper into the caverns below. I was gradually becoming hungry and thirsty. Fortunately I had water and pond turtles to eat. I eventually met a woman titled as a "gamer commander". She seemed friendly enough, and talked about a criminal community. She refused to join me, saying that her duty prevented her. I continued to wander the depths of the fortress. I had spawned on a underground highway, so travel was easy at least. At one point my partner disappeared. Eventually she turned up again though. Finally, I reached an exit and made it aboveground.

At the fortress entrance was a lot of forumites, goblins and haxxors trading with each other.

I decided to kill off some nearby haxxor bandits before building my town. Maybe it would increase my prestige so I could have more followers, and what's the point of having a chainsaw if you only use it on trees? After a short trip, my partner and I reached the camp and began creeping in.

Suddenly, we both started vomiting and retching. We also suffered dizziness and pain. Thinking the haxxors had done it, I retreated. As it turns out, my character and the swordsmite had cave adapted. I decided to come back and kill the haxxors in their sleep. Since I was getting hungry and thirsty I decided to stop by a nearby river before returning.

After drinking and refilling my waterskin, I decided to kill a stingray sitting around nearby for food. Although I was dizzy, I still knew how to swim. Or so I thought. I got in the water to chainsaw the stingray and immediately began to drown. I managed to crawl out, but my swordsmite jumped in after me. Before I realized what she had done, she had already drowned. I felt bad. How could I have known what would happen in what was supposed to be a quick hunting trip? No. It was not my fault. My only mistake was not recognizing the face of evil when I saw it. Behold the demon, behold stingray.

Since I couldn't get in the water, I threw my dagger. That missed, so I also threw some loam and a bunch of rocks. All that did was make the stingray angry. I also built two campfires by accident.

The stingray began to swim away. I pursued at top speed, waving the chainsaw of justice for the wicked ray. Along the way, we passed two milkfish and a swimming weasel. The weasel had apparently just killed a third milkfish. They simply ignored the ongoing righteous battle.

At the bend of the river I caught up to the stingray and noticed something terrible. There were two. And since the stingray had been out of sight a few times, either could be the true villain. I would have to slay both. Attacking the ray I had caught, a pair of slices to the torso and tail sent it flying and killed it. The other stingray went swimming upriver. I sprinted after it, collapsing from exhaustion along the way. I stood and snuck up as it rested by the riverbank.

(If anyone noticed the unusual formatting, I started editing these to make them fit in smaller images.)

Although I had caught it, I whiffed the killshot. The stingray retaliated with a sting to my face.

I struggled mightly with the stingray as I tried to strike it down, retching and dizzy. I missed most strikes but a kick left a bruise. For it's part, the ray unleashed a torrent of stings that couldn't get through my clothes. It stung me twelve times in all. Though no blow struck flesh, two strikes to the head twisted my neck enough to draw blood. Finally, I dealt two slices to the ray's gut. The first only cut the fat, but the second ripped through a kidney and knocked it back. (I checked, rays do have kidneys.) As the craven batoid fled before me, I threw a rock.

It then swam away. I snuck up by the river and spotted a perfect opportunity.

The stingray bolted with its crushed eye, just dodging my chainsaw dropping to slice off its tail. I began throwing rocks. One missed and it barrelrolled away from the other before swimming away.

I followed and kept throwing rocks, inflicting several bruises. It came to rest by the bank, barely able to swim. I came running, but collapsed thrice and crawled quietly up beside it.

The ripped and torn stingray flew halfway across the riverbed and finally died. I rose and walked away triumphant, knowing that my swordsmite had finally been avenged. The only element to tarnish my victory was that both rays had died in the water, so I couldn't get tbe  meat.

I returned to the Haxxor camp that night to try and finish the job, but I saw one of their number who hadn't gone to sleep, an overweight haxxor with a hammer. I decided to start with her, and snuck up behind with the chainsaw ready. Unfortunately her robe somehow stopped the chainsaw. After a bit more combat, she gained the upper hand. Things quickly got out of control and she crushed my head.

That was a sad way to go, but ultimately it's not that bad. I had already experienced true Dwarf. I had spent my strength chasing a fish up and down a river, crying and puking and trying to murder it with a chainsaw to avoid acknowledging personal responsibility. For this I expect Valhalla.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:40:57 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 12:45:04 am »

You probably could have defeated that Haxxor leader if you had a Tv Tropes article (I'm assuming those are a thing) - would have distracted her long enough to saw through the robe.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 01:40:17 am »

My mods and forum games.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 09:41:17 am »

Yes, that's the trope I was thinking of - also gotta ask since I forgot last time, what the hell was the robe made out of that a chainsaw couldn't cut through it? Or are the chainsaws just really weak for some reason?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 10:30:01 am »

I'm not sure why it stopped the saw, I tried again in the arena and was able to get through.
My mods and forum games.

ungeniusidea

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 03:08:43 pm »

You probably just grazed him with it. Even hits that the game tells you are good might have the other guy coming off lightly depending on a bunch of factors.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 07:27:39 pm »

8)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 11:12:34 pm »

Next up is ZM5's modpack.

Burning Legion

I decided to make a pocket world with a 1050 year history.

Seems there's a lot of races in this mod.

I go with a gnoll knife user.

I started in a satyr forest retreat, carrying a Roman dagger and a ridged Aztec spear. A centaur stood nearby. I decided to start talking to it.

Suddenly a fight broke out. Apparently satyrs are evil in WoW. They all started attacking the centaur.

I pulled a satyr off the centaur and began fighting it as the centaur slowly accumulated injuries. After a struggle, I slashed his gut with my claws, which knocked him off balance enough for a string of stab wounds, culminating in the loss of his nose and a dagger in the throat. I expected him to die, so I ignored him to throatstab another satyr. Somehow they kept standing despite their fractured upper spines. A woodcutter satyr came at me with an axe, but I parried with the dagger and knifed him in the chest. Things suddenly started to get worse from here. The mangled satyr manged to gore me in the foot, smashing it. I manged to scratch him in the face, but the gathering mob knocked me out of the tree. As they swarmed and I tried to get away, I saw the centaur get too exhausted to fight back and collapse. The satyrs beat him and bashed him for a long while until the woodcutter chopped his head open. The satyrs then turned to focus their efforts on me.

After they cut off one of my hands and grabbed my fangs, I called for an end to the violence, hoping for a bright future of peace and prosperity until they went to sleep so I could murder them. They refused and one smashed my remaining hand with a punch. I managed to bite the woodcutter firmly in the head, but before I could manage the final twist I passed out and was beated and hacked to death.

This character didn't last very long, so I decided to start over with a new character. I made another gnoll, this time with even skill in spears and knives.

Before starting, I looked at the Legends entry for the fallen centaur. He was a poet, and had written works such as My Friend Tubs, Give me the Duel, and Helms Wars Episode IV:A New Hope, which was inspired by a nightmare he had. Apparently some sort of centaur/satyr insurrection was going on.

I entered the game with my new character. By "coincidence" I respawned in the exact same place.

Unfortunately, I hestiated when they didn't attack right away and fell out of the tree. The fight went badly. I inflicted various stab wounds, but they mobbed me. Before dying a second time, I noticed a satyr grab another by the horn. Several traded blows later and the satyrs were rioting. I took a horn to the lower spine though, and was unable to escape.

Now I was getting annoyed. I decided to play a different race this time, from the demon entry.

This'll do.

I appeared in Bruteankle again. I was wielding a double-bladed polearm and a sai. I started my vengance. It was a massacre. The satyrs could do very little against me, but to their credit they fought bravely at least. I soon abandoned the sai, slaughtering them with my bare hands or double weapon. A few satyrs distinguished themselves as they were extinguished. A gemcutter on the initial tree somehow failed to notice the first six satyrs falling all around him. I politely greeted him and made him aware of the situation before I slashed him apart and crushed his skull underfoot. As I killed my way through the forest retreat, I saw satyrs pummeling centauresses. Tearing them apart saved them at least.

Later, someone named Andre attacked me. He was a creature called a nightmare satyr, which I believe looks like this.

He tried to cast some sort of spell on me.

He should have known better than to try and give a demon nightmares. As he climbed a tree past me, I grabbed him by the head and hurled him to the ground. One of his hooves split off on impact. I walked up as he tried to crawl away. I then struck him with the haft of my weapon and ran the nightmare creature through the heart. I was going to say something suitably impressive but then found myself unable to remember what I was going to say. The nightmare satyr then picked up a shoe and swung it at me. It was a valiant effort but I parried and then exploded his head with a single punch. Still annoyed that he had tried to out-nightmare me, I picked up his corpse and began bludgeoning other satyrs to death with it. Later, after I had found and read Give Me the Duel, I met a satyr calling himself a "Baron of Bruteankle Blessed Warrior". As I impaled him through the heart, he managed to reach out with his claws and slash my leg. He was the only one of his people to draw blood.

As I wandered looking for victims, I heard a terrified centaur child calling out in fear and saw a dead woodsprite on the ground. In the treetops, I saw a satyr general and an ambassador fighting. They had inflicted horrible wounds on one another. By the time I reached them, they had both fallen unconscious. I still clubbed their heads in with the nightmare satyr's corpse. There really wasn't any sport in it though. One by one, nearly every satyr died. I came across a mason, crying in a tree. He didn't fight back or run. He just kept spitting on me and calling me a murderer. I talked to him, but he just kept grieving. I debated whether or not to kill him. I decided that I had had enough today and left Bruteankle.

After leaving Bruteankle, I found a band of troops moving around outside. When I caught up to them, they were just some creatures. A cow, a boar, and a beak dog. They weren't hostile so I left them be. However, a "hellcaller" satyr came charging out. I attacked him, but then the animals suddenly took over. They swarmed him ferociously and the cow crushed his head. As I traveled away, the band of animals continued to follow me around. After a stop to rest at the beach, I started heading towards a hamlet I could see nearby on the map. On the way I was attacked by a satyr expedition leader and several satyr zombies. Andre's corpse proved to be a surprisingly effective weapon for bashing in the zombie heads. I knocked the expedition leader down and stabbed them. I offered surrender and they refused. Andre then claimed another victim, officially passing my double weapon for bodycount.

I made it to the hamlet to find it abandoned. Aside from some books, I found nothing of interest. Nearby though was a tavern. Inside was a lone ice giant who called himself a Totemic. He seemed surprisingly casual about meeting a member of the Burning Legion.

After a while, we talked about troubles in the land. The Lone Squid gave me the locations of various beasts, bandits and nefarious towers. I decided to go to a camp by the beach first since it was closest. I entered the camp and was attacked by a satyr pyromancer. When she saw Andre's corpse in my grip, she cast a spell. Andre was incinerated and reborn as a flaming humanoid spectre. However, Andre did not take kindly to this. He attacked the pyromancer with the very flames that had consumed his being. I backed away to watch the battle. The pyromancer got the upper hand, breaking away three pieces of his body before smashing his torso with the slab that had given her powers.

Spotting the slab, I snatched it away from her as she swung it at me.

After having gained the powers, I tossed the slab at her. She dodged aside and started punching me. I ignored her for the moment as I tested my new powers on the nearby trees. This proved to be a grave mistake. As I cast flames to and fro, I ignited myself. I tried getting away from the fire but it was too late. I was burning and spreading flames as I went. As I struggled to survive I made sure to finish the battle so that the pyromancer could not claim victory.

As I burned I realized I had one slight hope. The ocean was very close by, through the forest fire I had created. I began struggling to reach the sea, filled with demonic rage. I started to fall as my muscles were incinerated, but continued to rise again and again. I got within sight of the sand of the seashore when I lost the ability to stand as the fires reached my spine and finished off my limbs. I lost hold of my weapon, but continued to crawl as the flames crept into my skull.

With the beach almost within reach, my demon finally succumbed, his flesh burning away with the leaves.
My mods and forum games.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 03:32:21 am »

This is how most of my own adventures go tbh - I should probably work on balance issues at some point, considering it wasn't something I took too seriously.

I like how the centaurs corpse was still present after a few weeks. Guess satyrs enjoy the smell of rotting carcasses.

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 12:31:47 am »

A member of the Burning Legion accidentally burned himself to death. It was inevitable.

PTW.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 04:16:10 pm »

Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 11:56:39 am »

I might do that sometime. I am open to suggestions if anyone has ideas. I also think it would be good if others also contribute mod playthroughs. Maybe we can make a community thread out of this.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 11:59:41 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 02:31:27 pm »

well, how about your own composite mod?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."