Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Herbalist has become her own quantum stockpile -- 169 PLANTS!!  (Read 1131 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Herbalist has become her own quantum stockpile -- 169 PLANTS!!
« on: October 22, 2016, 11:19:56 pm »

One of my Herbalists, Urist Zanegusir ("Relicglacier") went out to pick plants, because I realized in this current version, plant gathering is far more fun and productive than farming. She came back from a trip just now walking as if she was carrying raw stone. I opened the unit viewer and cursored over her to find this:

Yes. That herbalist is carrying 169 plant items. ALL AT ONCE.

And she's not even that strong. Just "agile and slow to tire".

Wow.

Has this happened to anyone else? xD

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Herbalist has become her own quantum stockpile -- 169 PLANTS!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 11:48:44 pm »

Oh yeah, I definitely have seen herbalist slow down when returning to fort. Plants are relatively heavy in comparison to fruits, btw.

What's more - recently, I had group of herbalists pick fruits from trees during an experiment - this, naturally, drops them to the ground.

Then, another dwarf picks up the "Store item in Barrel" job (no qsps since doing quick and dirty) and goes to pick each and every fruit they dropped on ground by hand, without carrying the barrel with her (unlike bins with crafts) and adding more fruits to the job mid-job.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 07:23:16 am »

I once had a dwarf hauling 5 pages of Silver hammers and spears. He was so slow he got thirsty while doing so ...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158362.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 07:40:41 am »

Multi hauling of some items was introduced a while back in 0.40.X, I believe.

This should not be confused with the recently introduced (0.42.02?) and also fixed (0.42.04?) bug where dorfs stole items made of materials they had a liking for and carried them around (my diorite lover kept stealing diorite large pots, for instance), which might be what hanni79 experienced.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 08:05:31 am »

Nope, as far as I can tell, the Hauler just was not fast enough to drop off the stuff, before my legendary Weaponsmith produced another one, so every time the Hauler walked back to get it. This made him of course even slower, so it became a circle of death :D

It seems to me that taking the new job simply overrides dropping off the stuff from the earlier job.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 11:01:24 am »

hanni79's description sounds odd, since I haven't seen any cases where an actual hauling job has been interrupted for an additional hauling job, in particular for things like weapons where they've always moved them one at a time. If, however, the dorf decided to steal the items, the dorf wouldn't have a hauling job after the theft, and thus would be available to take a new job.
The issue could be settled if the "source" dried up (i.e. the smith stopped making weapons) and the hauler was observed to see if it still had a hauling job and/or by having the smith make weapons of a different material to see if the dorf stopped turning back to collect more (given that two kinds of weapons were mentioned, the material would probably be the target).
Obviously, examining the dorf itself to see if it had a desire for the items carried would be a strong indication for the theft theory if they were all desired, and against it if they were not.
If the dorf continued to turn back while thirsting (rather than just thirsty) I would say that is a strong indication the reason was to satisfy the need to steal silver items, as dorfs tend to actually try to preserve their lives by drinking when sufficiently thirsty rather than take up a new job. That might also shed some light on the question of when dorfs claim trinkets they like: while carrying them or when the hauling job is posted, with the behavior indicating posting of the job being the decision point.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 11:55:32 am »

JSYK, the "interruption for additional hauling job" that I saw was in 43.03.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 12:30:22 pm »

Were the fruit gathering dorfs on the way back to the stockpile or were they extending their current collection? My current understanding/assumption is that herb gathering, fruit gathering, and harvesting have multi hauling that can add targets while in the gathering phase. Note that this is subject to a substantial uncertainty, though.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 12:35:31 pm »

It was different dwarf coming from meeting area just to pick things up the tree-gatherers dropped on ground, starting from "Store Item in Barrel" job. i.e. dwarf notices a thing can be stored in stockpile and picks the job.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 05:06:04 pm »

169, that's impressive.   8)

You can force this behaviour by not having an appropriate stockpile for any of the gathered items; and achieve quasi-quantum stockpiling by designating a single tiled stockpile when your herbalist has gathered enough.  I usually go for 20-30 stacks because if the job gets interrupted (drinking, terrified, etc.) the tendency is for the dwarf to drop all the items.  Even with 20-30 they are usually moving a fair bit slower, depending on the dwarf (agility).

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 08:05:07 pm »

i once saw a post where somebody had a dwarf that held every single green glass item they could find, and the fort had a booming glass industry that made tons of green glass pots, so they ended up stealing all the booze in the entire fort for themself
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 05:32:25 am »

Stealing booze sounds like a good feature to me. :P