Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any plans for brewing specific drinks ?  (Read 3606 times)

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any plans for brewing specific drinks ?
« on: October 21, 2016, 04:39:42 pm »

Heya,

I just started a new fortress with all that new management stuff, it's amazing :)

But I noticed it's still not possible to order specific drinks to be brewed.
Is this planned, is it a bug or did Toady just not implement this yet?
Anyone got some info on this ?

I really would have loved to have all my different kinds of alcohol auto-managed, it bummed me out pretty hard I can't do this without building 12 different stills :(

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any plans for brewing specific drinks ?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 08:19:05 pm »

With other crafts, you can press "d" after queuing an item to designate a custom order. That might be worth a try with alcohol and prepared meals.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 08:51:14 pm »

You can use dfhack's job-material (default hotkey is ctrl-A for gui mode) to set it to use the specific plant you desire, without mucking with stockpile links.

This of course doesn't work with manager (but DOES work with prepared meals), as it is for just that specific job.

It, however, does work with workflow - which will pull the dwarven wine from reagant:

So that you can order it to always keep some on hand:

Mind you, workflow doesn't work in 43.05 yet. And of course, you can only have 10 repeating jobs, while there are iirc 162 different boozes at maximum.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 08:56:12 pm by Fleeting Frames »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 10:06:33 pm »

You can already brew specific drinks in the standard game.

All it needs is a little micromanagement.  (z) -> kitchen, vegetables/fruits tab and turn off brewing (b/toggle) for all except what you want brewed.  If you alternate fruits and vegetables you don't even have to pause between brewing jobs, just change vegetable while fruit is brewing and vice versa.  Or use space to pause immediately on finish of brewing job, open up z and toggle x off and y on.  (Unfortunately toggling off in the middle of a job will cancel that job.)  Alternatively you could use forbidding to ensure only the desired amount each kind of brewable that you want processed is available and leave those toggled on brew.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 12:46:33 am »

Stockpile linking wouldn't be too difficult for one or two specific drinks.

Just make a food stockpile that only accepts one kind of plant, and have it take from your main foodpile. Also make a furniture stockpile that only accepts empty barrels. Construct a still, and link it to the two previously created stockpiles, and you're set to brew as much parsnip wine as you might wish. Rinse and repeat for each variety of plant you want to quick-brew.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 07:54:22 am »

@Salmeuk:
OP already mentions stockpile linking, and finding it cumbersome for mere 12 stills.

@feelotraveller:
Forbidding most of the plant stock is a novel idea I haven't seen before, however. Could be useful in some situations, I suppose.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 08:07:32 am »

Well, I usually use kitchen menu.
But since in the new version they don't become unhappy, I just use the same old plump helmets over and over again.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 08:40:56 am »

With other crafts, you can press "d" after queuing an item to designate a custom order. That might be worth a try with alcohol and prepared meals.

Sadly, this does not work for drinks, which is what I would have expected to work.

You can already brew specific drinks in the standard game.

All it needs is a little micromanagement.  (z) -> kitchen, vegetables/fruits tab and turn off brewing (b/toggle) for all except what you want brewed.  If you alternate fruits and vegetables you don't even have to pause between brewing jobs, just change vegetable while fruit is brewing and vice versa.  Or use space to pause immediately on finish of brewing job, open up z and toggle x off and y on.  (Unfortunately toggling off in the middle of a job will cancel that job.)  Alternatively you could use forbidding to ensure only the desired amount each kind of brewable that you want processed is available and leave those toggled on brew.

This is not a bad idea, but far too much micromanagement for my taste.

Thanks for your answers :)