Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How edgy is the man in black on a scale of 1 (least edgy) to 10 (edgiest)

1. Ridges on a cactus
- 0 (0%)
2. Attacked by monomolecular papercuts
- 4 (12.9%)
3. Edge la Edge: you bully
- 2 (6.5%)
4. Don't steal my Shadow Sonichu OC
- 2 (6.5%)
5. Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cries evertim series
- 2 (6.5%)
6. Crawwwwwwwwwling in my crawwllllll
- 2 (6.5%)
7. We're reaching Bismuth levels of edge
- 2 (6.5%)
8. Please dear you're making the children edgy
- 3 (9.7%)
9. LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOOOOAAA (the Naruto AMV)
- 4 (12.9%)
10. Wake me up WAKE ME UP INSIDE can't wake up
- 10 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: WestWorld (TV show) Season 2  (Read 16452 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WestWorld (TV show) Season 2
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2018, 05:05:20 am »

Otherwise a very dull episode but

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 06:09:42 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2018, 07:16:09 am »

I must admit all of my hype has vanished; I think I'm just going to watch the finale

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2018, 08:40:14 am »

@Elsie - I was certain I had written a post in this thread when the season started about how much I wished she'd turn out to not really be dead but looking back it seems I didn't. Regardless I share the sentiment.
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 31, 2018, 09:50:06 am »

Ok so I'm caught up. I can see why some of you have tuned out.

I'm not done with the series but yeah, Dolores and Maeve and the entire "empowered female" theme running through this whole show is starting to wear very thin. At first it was like "You go girl." But lately I feel like I'm watching a cheerleading show for the "Strong Female Protagonist." Basically, women are the competent ones in West World. They drive the plot, they solve the problems, they have the power (in some character's cases, ridiculous amounts of it) and the skills to fix all the problems them mens created, and most of the men in the show are now sidekicks. Either they're whipped sub-humans like the plot writer who are designed to be as unlikeable as possible, love-interest murderbots like Maeve's bo or Teddy who march entirely to the beat of the ladies' drum, intentionally designed punching bags like Chief What's His Name who everyone just keeps telling his performance review is going to suck, or a partially lobotomized plot container with no agency like Bernard, who when they need to let a little more story slop out of the top of his head. The only other male characters with agency (other than Robert) are the various heads of security or the kill teams, who you're not supposed to empathize or identify with it.

These themes were all true in last season too, but they've turned the dial up on all of it. And it wouldn't really even bother me that much, were it not for the hamfisted quality they're delivering their message with. We get it. Women rule, men drool. Now can you at least write a plot that doesn't require inventing magical powers to make your heroines seem like actual badasses?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:18:29 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2018, 06:15:28 pm »

Ok so I'm caught up. I can see why some of you have tuned out.

I'm not done with the series but yeah, Dolores and Maeve and the entire "empowered female" theme running through this whole show is starting to wear very thin. At first it was like "You go girl." But lately I feel like I'm watching a cheerleading show for the "Strong Female Protagonist." Basically, women are the competent ones in West World. They drive the plot, they solve the problems, they have the power (in some character's cases, ridiculous amounts of it) and the skills to fix all the problems them mens created, and most of the men in the show are now sidekicks. Either they're whipped sub-humans like the plot writer who are designed to be as unlikeable as possible, love-interest murderbots like Maeve's bo or Teddy who march entirely to the beat of the ladies' drum, intentionally designed punching bags like Chief What's His Name who everyone just keeps telling his performance review is going to suck, or a partially lobotomized plot container with no agency like Bernard, who when they need to let a little more story slop out of the top of his head. The only other male characters with agency (other than Robert) are the various heads of security or the kill teams, who you're not supposed to empathize or identify with it.

These themes were all true in last season too, but they've turned the dial up on all of it. And it wouldn't really even bother me that much, were it not for the hamfisted quality they're delivering their message with. We get it. Women rule, men drool. Now can you at least write a plot that doesn't require inventing magical powers to make your heroines seem like actual badasses?
Well you definitely learn very early on that instead of 1 writer there's 8 writers working on season 2. Which would explain why there is so much confusion in the show over which direction they are supposed to take. The only thing all 8 writers agree on is that Maeve, Ford and Dolores are central to the plot, but they don't agree on everything else

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2018, 03:37:27 am »

So newest episode, i love the biblical untertones.

Okay should have finished the episode first...

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:26:05 am by Ghazkull »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2018, 06:59:04 pm »

Regarding MiB post-credits...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2018, 07:18:06 pm »

my hat
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2018, 09:13:06 pm »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2018, 09:18:22 pm »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2018, 01:45:01 am »

Could be that

Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2018, 12:29:16 am »

Just finished the last 4 episodes. It's a lot to take in, so I will probably have something to say later. But I will say now:

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2022, 03:29:02 pm »

Time for a Necrobump!

I just finished Season 4, and one thing is really nagging at me.
Whenever the doorway to The Sublime was opened it created a rift in space over the Hoover Dam, presumably leading to the Sublime on the other side of the rift. The thing is, obviously, rifts in space don't just appear in the real world. This leads me to assume that the Dam, and the apocalyptic world it shared where most of the season took place, were all part of a simulation.
However this assumption seems to be contradicted by the finality of the narration at the end of the season, which strongly implies that all of those events were real. Which just leads me back to, wtf was up with that rift? Was the rift intended to be a symbolic representation of the doorway opening, visible only to the audience? Because that would be entirely counterintuitive in a show which constantly forces the audience to reevaluate their perception of reality.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #148 on: September 08, 2022, 05:39:51 pm »

Time for a Necrobump!

I just finished Season 4, and one thing is really nagging at me.
Whenever the doorway to The Sublime was opened it created a rift in space over the Hoover Dam, presumably leading to the Sublime on the other side of the rift. The thing is, obviously, rifts in space don't just appear in the real world. This leads me to assume that the Dam, and the apocalyptic world it shared where most of the season took place, were all part of a simulation.
However this assumption seems to be contradicted by the finality of the narration at the end of the season, which strongly implies that all of those events were real. Which just leads me back to, wtf was up with that rift? Was the rift intended to be a symbolic representation of the doorway opening, visible only to the audience? Because that would be entirely counterintuitive in a show which constantly forces the audience to reevaluate their perception of reality.
wat
I've not been following in the show and the contextual leap is making me pretty amused. Sounds like they took the show in a fun direction

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2022, 08:25:51 pm »

As another less-severe necro, Westworld is officially cancelled.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11