Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you remove campfires?  (Read 2220 times)

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you remove campfires?
« on: October 23, 2016, 01:31:11 pm »

I'm embarked in goblin camp. Where are some campfires and they are killing my FPS! How I can destroy them(with DFHack or not no matter).
Please! It's really good embark and I don't want to loose it to FPS!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you remove campfires?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 02:05:54 pm »

What makes you think it is the campfires killing your FPS and not the fact that you embarked on a place with a bunch of goblins in weird, convoluted rooms?

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 02:16:34 pm »

Because I know, that mist, smoke and other particles are much worse then ten goblins. I had sieges of 300+goblins with fps more than now.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 03:02:11 pm »

Have you tried putting water on them?
 (possibly with liquids plugin? There's a gui mode binding typically set to Alt-L during k-look.)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 04:22:45 pm »

Because I know, that mist, smoke and other particles are much worse then ten goblins. I had sieges of 300+goblins with fps more than now.

Ah, you sure about that? My entire first cavern level is on fire right now from a flaming FB and I'm geting a drop of maybe 1 or 2 FPS over what it was, and that could honestly be from other reasons since I am building a megaproject. Seriously, why would smoke or mist  be such an FPS killer? I honestly can't fathom why it would take a lot of CPU horsepower to make mist or smoke.

People "know" a lot of things about this game that are dead wrong. Maybe this is one of them? There's a big difference between a siege where they all sit around doing nothing and a fortress full of goblins in weird maze like rooms. But go ahead and try to fix your FPS by putting out a single fire, then come tell us how well that worked for you.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 04:40:09 pm »

Yeah, I've had a cavern level burning too, and it didn't hit me very hard.  On the other hand, I once quit a fortress because I pitted a dozen captured mountain gnomes and my fps sank like a stone.

I would guess the belief in smoke causing fps loss comes from high-graphic games where particle effects make a huge difference.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 04:58:34 pm »

I've got this friend who is a sales representative, and he's got this dog that he takes with him most of the time, they ride together all over the southwest. The dog loves barking at cows and horses, so the guy will always point them out when he sees them. One day I'm riding with them and we see some cows to the right of us, the guy says "cows!" and the dog runs over to the left of the car, frantically looking back and forth  out the window.

On a hunch, I say "horses!" and the dog runs over to the right and sees the cows and starts barking excitedly. See, the dog understood that "cows!" and "horses!" meant animals it liked to bark at were nearby. It had just gotten confused about the specifics. When they were first riding together, there must have been more cows to the left and more horses to the right. It had learned that "cows!" meant left, and "horses!" meant right.

This game does that to us all the time, letting us create false cause and effect connections in our heads. Because we can't look at the source code to be sure what's really happening, it's easy to "know" all kind of completely wrong things about DF. I've done it, as I'm sure most players have.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 05:14:29 pm »

Well, if you think some specific hypothesis is wrong, go ahead and falsify it *shrug* Otherwise, painting unnamed helpful forum posters with broad brush of "there are people wrong on the internet" and "you don't know what you think you know" isn't helping to actually answer the question.

Though for OP's situation, I'll note that campfire and forest fire may be different things - first is more like a building, I think, given it is unmoving and you can set it. Can also test stacking of them in adventure mode or turning temperature off(I expect this does nothing, however), perhaps?

Otherwise, things that can drop FPS to single digits with 10 pathing units...pet-impassable doors, or perhaps really intense fights - possibly in unrevealed underground. Try using reveal and seeing if there's chaos below?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:16:59 pm by Fleeting Frames »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 06:01:44 pm »

Oh please, FleetingFrames. Get a grip. I did falsify it: I have a huge fire with lots of smoke and it is not slowing my FPS. This result was verified by another poster who stated that fire and smoke do not harm their FPS, either. I am helping the poster by getting them to stop barking up the wrong tree and trying things that will not help their situation.

The poster clearly stated that they have embarked on a goblin fortress, you really don't think that might have something to do with the FPS issues?!? You flip me attitude for my answer, then proceed with your own explanations of why the FPS issue is probably not the fire, which is exactly what I did. Sheesh. Only, you ignore the one big obvious cause. Helpful indeed.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 06:32:20 pm »

Your previous post was only calling out how helpful people are wrong on the internet and spread misinformation, don't be surprised if you're called out on it.

It is not like I have not set the world on fire myself, but huge fire is not (tens?) thousands of campfires.

If you have had ever embarked on goblin fortress yourself, you'd know they're not super-laggy by itself - the 6x6 tests I've done on forts with dozen times OP's units have ran at 100 FPS. Even with that, saying "the whole embark is at fault" doesn't help with fixing.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 06:55:29 pm »

Since campfires don't belong in fort mode I think the OP made a logical conclusion. Wether they are right or not remains to be seen.

So someone run an adventurer into an old fort and light a campfire and find out.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 07:06:11 pm »

Fleeting Frames: How was I calling out people who are helpful on the Internet? I wasn't. I was saying this game makes it easy to jump to false conclusions, and that I myself am often guilty of it. A little self deprecating humor to lighten the mood. How you got "calling out how helpful people are wrong" from that, I can't even hazard a guess. Why are you taking this so personally and acting like I attacked you?

Goatmaan: Campfires often appear in fort mode when humans siege you. They light campfires and hang out by it. It slows down FPS by about zero.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 07:18:06 pm »

So to help the OP, how can they be rid of it?
Can they designate a zone and use buckets?
Would they have to wall it in first?
Will rain put it out?
How about sealing it in?
Cave in?
And last but not least...magma  :P

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 08:21:56 pm »

@GoatMaan: They're typically indoors in tents, so rain wouldn't work I think.

Failing all that though, in adventure mode the campfires eventually burn out on their own, so could ensure fort is self-sufficient and leave to run overnight to see if things improve.

@GhostDwemer:

"People "know" a lot of things about this game that are dead wrong. "

"Because we can't look at the source code to be sure what's really happening, it's easy to "know" all kind of completely wrong things about DF. I've done it, as I'm sure most players have."

Easily matching a greater proof asking pattern you have shown previously. Low effort posts that diss the information provided(rs), even on the very same page.

Putting it in terms of this thread, matching said pattern would be saying "fire and smoke not killing FPS is just unsubstantiated rumour" (without even "see this ‼lignite‼ bin in ocean") after Mostall posted, despite people providing personal anecdotes right before.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 08:26:45 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 08:30:19 pm »

Easily matching a greater proof asking pattern you have shown previously. Low effort posts that diss the information provided(rs), even on the very same page.
I'm not sure if you're trying to end the argument or prolong it, but if it's the latter, I would advise stopping.

As for campfires causing lag, all they really do is create Smoke flows which slowly spread out and disappear, which probably causes less lag than a typical pump-driven Mist Generator. If you want to know where the actual lag is coming from, I'd recommend uploading it to DFFD so somebody else can analyze it with DFHack and other tools - it's possible that you've got a large number of animal people in the caverns below, and unit pathfinding is one of the biggest sources of lag in DF (aside from temperature updates and connectivity recalculations resulting from flowing water and opening/closing doors/bridges/floodgates).

[edit] That's not to say that flows don't cause lag, though - in some rare circumstances (such as with bug #1835), flows can cause a ridiculous amount of lag, but I don't think this is one of those situations.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 08:37:58 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2