Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do you remove campfires?  (Read 2207 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you remove campfires?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 09:41:37 pm »

That bar fight discussion really ticked you off, didn't it Fleeting Frames? Jeebus, if I'd known you were going to take a discussion like that so seriously I wouldn't have even started. It sounds like it hurt your feelings enough for you to catalogue all the hurts, and for that I am sorry.

I've got exactly two people here who I trust to have correct information. Everyone else can bring whatever proof they like, and I will consider it along with my own experiences. Just because I don't immediately agree with you doesn't mean I won't, it just means that so far, I find your evidence lacking. Don't take it personally, it's simply how I approach the world, let alone a game like dwarf fortress.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 01:40:27 am »

Fleeting Frames: How was I calling out people who are helpful on the Internet?

GhostDwemer, I just wanted to say that your first post in this thread bluntly ignored Heretic's actual question in favor of second-quessing their perception. Your second post continued to force your point: Heretic had no idea what was going on in their fortress on their own computer.

But go ahead and try to fix your FPS by putting out a single fire, then come tell us how well that worked for you.

You ended this post with a sarcastic dismissal, the first instance of any sort of negative tone in the entire thread. Remember, OP has yet to get a definite answer.

When you suspect that OP's problem lies somewhere beyond their assumed knowledge of the game, you are better off attempting to answer their main point of questioning, then politely suggest that something else might actually be the issue. You can't just deny their question and not expect to get called out for it.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 02:04:46 am »

Ok. This thread is going to be [something].
But I will try to answer just those questions that I get asked, and not on the ones I want.
1. I know everyting about botom layers, excluding hell, because I using ArmokVision that can show you EVERYTHING on map. So here are my 7 dwarwes, 10 golbihans patrolling their camp and standing in tents, some troglodites(not many, really) and 2-5 animals.
2. Armok Vision itself make some FPS damage, but it's OK.
3. I made wall/floors on campfire - it still here! I made wall with DFHack - it's still here! etc. I can't find command in dfhack that destroy any object you choose.
And - just for everyone, who misunderstood something. I had play DF a lot before, so I had the same situation - absolutely the same, excluding campfires (for some cause there was goblin camp without campfires) and had no this problem.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 10:11:45 am »

Hi Heretic, I can't help you with the campfire, sounds like you've tried everything that I know of.  I'd suggest destroying it via cave-in, but it sounds like you're at embark, and are pre-military.

Instead, maybe focus on eliminating other variables that you do have control over?  As mentioned, pathfinding is a very common issue.  I know you've had a successful goblin embark before, but I'm thinking - maybe this set of goblins have a bad patrol waypoint that they can't get to?  Maybe the goblins in the tent are "stuck"?  I'd do some savescumming, spawn some magma on the goblins one at a time (it will be entertaining, at least), and see if eliminating them solves the problem.  If it doesn't solve it, then you've at least eliminated one possible variable.  That's how debugging goes!

My 2c.  Good luck!
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 11:13:46 am »

Ok, y'all: the OP got a definitive answer when Quitust weighed in and said that campfires are completely unlikely to be the problem. If you don't trust Quitust or you don't know who he is, there is no helping you, seriously. Again, with gusto: campfires aren't the problem. THAT is helping the OP by telling them the truth.  I'm out.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 05:11:19 pm »

I can't find command in dfhack that destroy any object you choose.
For things laying on ground, you could use autodump destroy to destroy things laying on the ground you d-b-d'd.

For contaminants like broken arrows on the ground, it is clean map.

For buildings, only thing that springs to mind is Roses' remove. I'd guess campfire is treated as building, though I don't have one handy to confirm this would work at all - I'll second Quietust suggestion of uploading the fort.

Btw, should you try cave-ins, Wiki does suggest channeling out beneath them does not work. (No mention of ones from above, though - merge some water and magma higher above to punch through?)
Instead, maybe focus on eliminating other variables that you do have control over?  As mentioned, pathfinding is a very common issue.  I know you've had a successful goblin embark before, but I'm thinking - maybe this set of goblins have a bad patrol waypoint that they can't get to?  Maybe the goblins in the tent are "stuck"?  I'd do some savescumming, spawn some magma on the goblins one at a time (it will be entertaining, at least), and see if eliminating them solves the problem.  If it doesn't solve it, then you've at least eliminated one possible variable.  That's how debugging goes!
To add to this (if only for different situations), for further testing you can use exterminate command on all but 1 of your dwarves (have to keep 1), as well as spawning walls around them to keep them from pathing - though this can fail badly in the case of your typical walled-in werebeast having a strange mood.

@GhostDwemer: ...Yeah, you nailed it. I cannot read the considerations in your mind.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 05:29:19 pm »

Btw, should you try cave-ins, Wiki does suggest channeling out beneath them does not work. (No mention of ones from above, though - merge some water and magma higher above to punch through?)

I think the wiki's referring to performing a simple d-h channel on the campfire tile, as opposed to digging out the z beneath it which is what I think we're both thinking of?
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 05:48:50 pm »

Little late for the party, but I've noticed whenever I light a campfire on Adv. Mode it takes a bit more for my adventurer to move while said fire is lit.

Maybe that's why the OP thought that might be the cause?
Have you tried making a dirt or paved road over it? Or building a workshop over it?
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.
Pages: 1 [2]