Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Artifacts that cause corruption.  (Read 2388 times)

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifacts that cause corruption.
« on: October 23, 2016, 04:20:25 pm »

We know in the artifact update artifacts will have cool powers, but what about the costs of using those powers? For instance if you have a sword the decays what it hits, possessing it for two long could wither the user. Or maybe an artifact that inflicts a curse similar to vampirism or werebeastism. This would make artifacts more dangerous to use and thus more FUN and interesting when you take one with you on your adventures. :P

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artifacts that cause corruption.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 12:52:36 am »

Artefacts that have drawbacks seem like quite a reasonable thing to include, though it would be limited somewhat be the practical matter that dwarfs create artefacts in fort mode, and you want those artefacts to be reasonably useful.

Really, dwarfs already have a tendency to make candy war-hammers and gold swords, if they don't just make purely cosmetic artefacts in the first place. As such if you were to throw your suggestion in now, you would end up with lots wooden mini-forge of were-rabbitism and silly things like that. Of course, that could be desirable to some. With that in mind it would be nice to have some settings in world-gen regarding the creation of artefacts(much as the myth generator is said to have now), and of course the current way dwarfs create artefacts will probably be over-hauled completely in the artefact update anyway.

shoulderboulder

• Bay Watcher
  • i am the great bootleg!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 09:25:29 am »

werebeastism.
a more correct name is lycanthropy
no

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 12:54:33 pm »

werebeastism.
Lycanthropy refers specifically to people who take the shape of wolves. Werebeastism isn't exactly a word, but it fits the bill.

I wouldn't mind seeing cursed artifacts, and perhaps it would make more sense if artifacts created from possessed strange moods were more liable to be cursed.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 06:22:23 pm »

Cursed artifacts would be nice, but some way of getting rid of curses would be good too. Perhaps ensuring balance in the universe by increasing the chances of a curse curing artifact being created for every cursed one?

Also, just to point out, artifacts won't have any powers in the artifacts release, despite the many threads speculating on awesome powers. Magic is part of the release after Artifacts.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 07:57:36 pm »

Maybe cleansing artifacts could be something priests could do at some point in the future.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 12:46:39 am »

Also, just to point out, artifacts won't have any powers in the artifacts release, despite the many threads speculating on awesome powers. Magic is part of the release after Artifacts.
So what will happen in the artifact release.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 01:39:55 am »

I thought the big takeaway was that artifacts (not just books) will be created during worldgen. Even without magic, that's a pretty big deal.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 06:50:38 am »

So what will happen in the artifact release.
Artifacts (named weapons, holy relics, weird junk, etc) will be created by npcs (as well as player fortress dwarfs as usual). Quests will exist to go fetch these if they're stolen. These can be completed by npcs or players. Artifacts will belong to entities who will want them back if you steal them. Civs will go to war over artifacts, hopefully from various distances so sieges on player fortresses won't be just limited to the nearest goblin hovel. Spies will get information on artifacts and tell bad guys about them. If your artifacts are stolen you'll be able to send out squads from your fortress to recover them. Kobolds will have real sites to stash their stolen junk in. Sites in adventurer will supposedly have lag fixed. All in all, an awesome sounding release.

After the Mythgen release when magic actually exists, magic artifacts will exist depending on that world's particular magic system.

shoulderboulder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 07:04:01 am »

werebeastism.
Lycanthropy refers specifically to people who take the shape of wolves. Werebeastism isn't exactly a word, but it fits the bill.
i was not aware that lycanthropy only refered to werewolves.
no

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 07:17:35 am »

werebeastism.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/lycanthropy
lycanthropy
[lahy-kan-thruh-pee]

noun
a delusion in which one imagines oneself to be a wolf or other wild animal.
the supposed or fabled assumption of the appearance of a wolf by a human being.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:19:13 am by Ultimuh »

shoulderboulder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 07:29:05 am »

werebeastism.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/lycanthropy
lycanthropy
[lahy-kan-thruh-pee]

noun
a delusion in which one imagines oneself to be a wolf or other wild animal.
the supposed or fabled assumption of the appearance of a wolf by a human being.

i alredy read that,after rhavviepoodle replied to me
no

Grimmrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 07:46:35 am »

An artifact should always have a proper upside. Simply because if they are too much fun, we will find unfunny solutions to get rid of them. the strange mood is already a "challange" and therefore should reward instead of possibly punish even more. Maybe the artifacts created as possesed strange moods should have some especially strong effects with a downside to them.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 10:28:16 am »

the strange mood is already a "challange" and therefore should reward instead of possibly punish even more.
It's only a challenge when you try to micromanage the materials, which affects only the artifact's value and non-magic combat properties.

Also, strange moods are going to be re-worked at some point. I think world-gen artifacts are already implemented for the next release.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:37:49 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 01:11:41 pm »

I like this idea. I am envisioning sort of a one ring situation from Lord of the Rings.
Pages: [1] 2