Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dumping zone sorting?  (Read 1184 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Dumping zone sorting?
« on: October 28, 2016, 02:48:03 pm »

I thought of this while playing with a complex goblins storage system.

What about a way to create multiple dump zones and designate what goes into them, sort of like a stockpile? It would be cool to have, say, all goblinite go to a dump next to the forges.

Hardly a major thing, just a thought.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Dumping zone sorting?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 10:52:25 pm »

Wouldn't the solution just be to use a stockpile?

A dump zone with stockpile settings is basically a legitimized QSP.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 06:45:55 am »

What Bumber said.

Quantum stockpiles are a placeholder for a better storage system, I think. No point improving it in the short term, it'll just lead to even more complaints down the line.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 01:59:10 am »

I also run into issues with invader cleanup, so this is a partial diversion off the thread topic. I never have more than three dump zones and only one will be active. One for "down to the forges", one for "into the magma", and the third will be very temporary and then deleted. My system for cleanup is to put a new stockpile for metal armor and weapons and a new one for all non-metal stuff, both near the mess. Then I turn off the civilian alert and the most of the stuff ends up on those stockpiles. Then I activate my "throw it down to the forges" dump zone and dump-flag the bins with metal stuff and the non-metal stockpile is set to give to the "junk to sell" stockpile near the trade depot, then the new stockpiles are deleted when they are empty.

It there something I could do to improve this series of steps?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

spudcosmic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 11:05:53 pm »

Wouldn't the solution just be to use a stockpile?

A dump zone with stockpile settings is basically a legitimized QSP.

This could be implemented with a fix to quantum stockpiling. I think it would be pretty easy to make it so there's a limit to items per tile based on volume and any more items dropped on would "spill" over to nearby tiles. It would be like a simulated pile.