Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The quest to weaponize everything!  (Read 2082 times)

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
The quest to weaponize everything!
« on: October 25, 2016, 03:06:58 pm »

Self explanitory, although I would want Ideas on how to weaponize these, and utilize these trap types

Miasma

Nonlethal Capture traps (Without screwing over traders or my people)

Most traps in general.

Floodgates.

Stairs.

Every last thing.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The quest to weaponize everything!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 03:16:05 pm »

With the nerfing of the coinstar, the lethality of bridgeapults has theoretically increased.

They produce a 15x15 tile scatter area where items are flung with enough force to bruise internal organs.  Coupled with automatic dumping from a cart delivery system, and loaded with highly lethal cannon fodder, like clay boulders, they could serve as highly destructive area effect antipersonnel mines.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 03:38:53 pm by wierd »

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 03:37:01 pm »

"and my axe"
*scrolls down to see the next pannel*
*dies of laughter*

weaponizing floodgates is easy, just add magma
ive also heard theories about a player activated trap involving removing the designation of a floor or wall being built when it is partially complete, but i have never seen it done.

first, build one Z level above the hallway
F is floor, W is wall, and X is the floor or wall that will be used as a weapon
allow all the floors and walls to be built except X, then have X be built, when the dwarf arrives to build it, suspend the task before it is completed, this will leave the item being used suspended in space over the hallway
F W  W  W
F  F  X   W
F W  W  W

next, after the task has been suspended, remove the floor adjacent to X and replace it with a wall

F W W W
F W X W
F W W W

normally when the player removes the designation of a construction that is partially complete the material used will simply be placed where the dwarf that was working on it stood, but that tile is now occupied by a wall, so the material (preferably something like jet or lead) will be placed in the open space, with nothing below it, it should just plop down into the hallway below and strike the invader on command.

it may also be possible to expand the system in a line like this

F W W W
F W  X W
F W  X W
F W  X W
F W  X W
F W  X W
F W W W

this could be indefinitely scaled to match your hallway, and it would be 100% player triggered, so no waiting on your dwarves to actually pull a lever.

please note that i havent actually gotten around to testing this, somebody brought up the concept of a 100% player triggered trap a while back and somebody thought to use removal of designations to make materials fall, but nobody actually figured out a system to do it with, and this system is just my theory about how it could be done.
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 04:25:42 pm »

"and my axe"
*dies of laughter*

Weaponizing miasma in a nutshell
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 04:27:54 pm »

Alright, Weaponizing drawbridges is check, mostly. Now, we still have a lot to do.

I need nonlethal traps, as in capture traps, But I don't know a good positioning strategy.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 05:18:24 pm »

Nonlethal capture traps that don't hit friendlies:

If they're not trapavoid, a cage trap (with long path around for caravans) will suffice, or for bigger groups pressure plate with some method of transporting them into a hole will work (water pushing through a fortification, removing their walking surface with bridge/grate/delayed hatch). There is also the only slightly lethal method of no-quality wooden spear traps over an unclimbable pit (works better if done at diagonal angle for higher chance of being on tile when trap goes off for faster targets, though that requires some method of support, i.e. orthogonal up-down stairs on level below).

However, the problem with non-cage traps for nonlethal capture is that they still count the siege on or the animals as group of animals available on the map.

If they're buildingdestroyer trapavoid, then have them destroy a furniture that was holding back water/magma/minecart from a pressure plate to raise a bridge.

If they're non-buildingdestroyer trapavoid, they're either an invading army who saw the traps, a visitor, a merchant diplomat, an animal arriving with the migrants or a kobold/gremlin. A door to go through with detection just like buildingdestroyer's or an animal on/off a pressure plate will work. The advantage of the second is that it doesn't react to non-hostiles.

Down and up-down stairs in particular are special in that they act as walkable magma/water input or output. This is frequently used with magma.
Simple example.

You can even have the drainage be on same tile as a pressure plate by digging downstairs, putting floor on top, putting pressure plate on floor, then deconstructing floor.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 05:23:58 pm »

Creative caveins have been a staple of mine for capturing the more dangerous kinds of forgotten beast.

Essentially, what needs to be done, is drop a fully enclose "room" on top of the creature, including a roof.

Something like this:

Code: [Select]

z0:
O===O
|   |
O===O

z1:
XXXXX
XXXXXSS<-support
XXXXX

it is essential that these floor and wall tiles be NATURAL STONE. constructions will crumble!!

on the floor below, you have furniture bait to attract the FB to a suitable patch of natural cavern floor. when the FB is in position, the support destuction lever is thrown. this drops the cage, trapping the FB inside.  in the case of usefull webber variants, the enclosure is readily converted into a silkfarm.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 05:38:22 pm »

Creative caveins have been a staple of mine for capturing the more dangerous kinds of forgotten beast.

Essentially, what needs to be done, is drop a fully enclose "room" on top of the creature, including a roof.

Something like this:

Code: [Select]

z0:
O===O
|   |
O===O

z1:
XXXXX
XXXXXSS<-support
XXXXX

it is essential that these floor and wall tiles be NATURAL STONE. constructions will crumble!!

on the floor below, you have furniture bait to attract the FB to a suitable patch of natural cavern floor. when the FB is in position, the support destuction lever is thrown. this drops the cage, trapping the FB inside.  in the case of usefull webber variants, the enclosure is readily converted into a silkfarm.
Alright, what about normal inteligent things, like goblins.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 06:01:04 pm »

Cagetraps typically work fine.

For trap immune beasties, like kobolds, web sprayed cagetraps work. The above solution is for FBs and clowns, that have nostun, webimmune, and trap immune.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 06:01:12 pm »

"and my axe"
*dies of laughter*
Slightly confusing over here. Unless you know that Axe is what we know as Lynx...

(Cue reverse joke of now the dwarf is wielding a medium-sized wildcat or two... ;))

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 06:08:24 pm »

Needs a 4th panel of buxxom women flashmobbing that dwarf.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 04:43:02 pm »

Needs a 4th panel of buxxom women flashmobbing that dwarf.

+1
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 04:59:51 pm »

ive also heard theories about a player activated trap involving removing the designation of a floor or wall being built when it is partially complete

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Trap_design#Canceled_construction_deadfall

Tiles involved in a cave-in settle to the lowest level possible. A "roof" of any type will not remain a roof when dropped; it will instead crash down into the "room" and kill whatever you're trying to catch.

To maintain a "roof", you need the "roof" tiles to *not* be involved in the cave-in, which can be done. It is, however, significantly easier to just build two raising bridges in a single-tile hallway, add bait furniture, and raise the bridges while the building destroyer is destroying the bait. A single masterwork door should last long enough for your dwarves to pull the lever and capture the beast, but you can include more for a longer delay.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 10:42:24 pm »

Well a support has less delay and can kill more than a bridge, so there's that for one-off target.

Taetrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 07:40:03 am »

As for weaponized floodgates, I just found thanks to a cyclop that they make pretty effective passive building destroyer traps. The unfortunate experiment involved a half finished drowning chamber, a wandering cyclop and a chute (intended as a sink down to the caverns). The beast destroyed the floodgate and got washed into the hole; only question now is how to plug an aquifer-fed waterfall without access to magma...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 07:43:01 am by Taetrius »
Pages: [1] 2