Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salutations DF Community!  (Read 1697 times)

Sir_Bovard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Salutations DF Community!
« on: October 25, 2016, 06:07:50 pm »

Iv'e kept up with this game's development for five years, and now I'm ecstatic to declare that at last I am part of my favorite game's forums!  :D

Unfortunately I still don't know most of the mechanics for this upcoming masterpiece. (Erm... 70+ steam games to deal with too) But now I'm ready to get down and dirty with the greatest simulation game of all time! I've had about seven fallen fortresses during these years (Uhh... without aquifers), but now hopefully I can commit myself enough to delve deep into this DF community.  :-[

I'll be happy to give monthly donations, however I need to see if this project will not die. (Or at least Bay 12 Games has a backup plan if development ceases for some reason) I also want to contribute ideas and knowledge to the community, but first I need those things for me from you wonderful folk.  ;D

I have numerous questions, but this is not the purpose for me creating this thread. I simply want to gauge what this community is like. (I've had my fair share of disappointments in various forums)  :'(

Well anyways, my name is Sir_Bovard at your service. My values consist of:

1) God, family, friends, respect, justice, love, etc.
2) Truth, wisdom, and knowledge.
3) Philosophy.
4) Gaining fame, power, and money. (entrepreneurship)
5) Any type of game on Earth.

I'm 17 years old, soon to be the magical age of 18. (In like 5-6 months)  8)

I love Italian, Chinese, and various other exotic foods since I'm tired of American food.  :-\

I love dogs more than cats.  :P

That about sums me up, so what are you guys like?

Sir_Bovard at your service!

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Salutations DF Community!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 09:14:14 pm »

Hello, Sir_Bovard, and welcome to Bay12.

I think you'll find it a friendly community, more so than most others I believe; however, the best way to "gauge" the community is simply to look around and get involved. Dedicated introductory threads like this are rare (though not frowned upon), and furthermore DF General Discussion is probably the least-used board on the whole forum, so don't be offended if you don't get too many replies to this thread. We are welcoming, just not always outgoing.

As for donations... the game's been in development for ten years. At this point it's more likely the creator will die before the project does. And anyway, your donation is what assures that development will continue. So, do it!

(you've been following DF since you were twelve? We barely even had internet when I was twelve...)

I also can't help but notice that your list of values has, uh, multiple entries per number. And is philosophy not covered under truth, wisdom, and knowledge (for that matter, is truth not covered under God)?  ;D
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 09:32:29 pm »

Welcome.

It is good that you prefer dogs to cats, because dwarfs do also.  Dogs can be trained and will be useful in combat.  Cats are historically infamous for FPS death and causing problems after adopting a dwarf then wandering off and getting killed.  Or spreading deadly dusts.

Sir_Bovard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 10:19:59 pm »

Hello, Sir_Bovard, and welcome to Bay12.

I think you'll find it a friendly community, more so than most others I believe; however, the best way to "gauge" the community is simply to look around and get involved. Dedicated introductory threads like this are rare (though not frowned upon), and furthermore DF General Discussion is probably the least-used board on the whole forum, so don't be offended if you don't get too many replies to this thread. We are welcoming, just not always outgoing.

As for donations... the game's been in development for ten years. At this point it's more likely the creator will die before the project does. And anyway, your donation is what assures that development will continue. So, do it!

(you've been following DF since you were twelve? We barely even had internet when I was twelve...)

I also can't help but notice that your list of values has, uh, multiple entries per number. And is philosophy not covered under truth, wisdom, and knowledge (for that matter, is truth not covered under God)?  ;D

Thank you Loam for your thoughtful advice! :D It's true that I've known about this game for much of it's development, however nowadays DF feels a lot more tangible to play than it did when I first played it. (Because I'm a little older now)  ;D

I understand that Toady One has an incredible drive to continue to develop the game. No doubt there. I guess I was just wondering if something were to happen and if he had a backup plan. But your right, I should give him support. After all, I believe personally he should be getting the big bucks, not Minecraft. Lol, I'm not one to judge because I played Minecraft longer than DF. Nonetheless this has been my favorite game of all time due to my hype for it.

About my values, I'm sorry that I kinda made them confusing. XD I meant for each of the number categories to symbolize their importance to me, not a practical order. 8)

Welcome.

It is good that you prefer dogs to cats, because dwarfs do also.  Dogs can be trained and will be useful in combat.  Cats are historically infamous for FPS death and causing problems after adopting a dwarf then wandering off and getting killed.  Or spreading deadly dusts.

LOL! So true... I assume you mean like the time when my fortress was overpopulated by cats to the point where lots of them died and it drove the dwarves so stark raving mad that they decided to kill each other?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 01:47:39 am »

A backup plan? Welllll.....No. There have been few games inspired by DF one way or another, of course, but if bay12 and tarn brothers were to go down into grave (and old age is not going to do them in before your kids are older than you are now), I'd expect the discussion move entirely to reddit and remain active with modding and utility development for another five years, perhaps, though still having a smaller community after that. After all, both the game's major release update pace and a regular fort can take over a year (i.e. DF2012 - DF 2014 - DF2016) even right now while remaining quite alive (that is to say, the forums aren't actually all that big as far as forums go).

for that matter, is truth not covered under God?
Well, I think Edward Elric would be more qualified to answer that question :P
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:49:29 am by Fleeting Frames »

gamerscout

• Bay Watcher
  • Warrior of the lurker army
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 12:20:47 pm »

I have only been playing df for 2 and a half year. I mostly play adventure mode. I am also 17 and a half years old. I am not much active on the forum but I look at it more or less everyday. I am a history nerd who also likes to play tabletop rpgs. I think that more or less sums me up.

Sir_Bovard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 12:29:45 pm »

(and old age is not going to do them in before your kids are older than you are now)

That's good enough for me haha!  ;D

for that matter, is truth not covered under God?
Well, I think Edward Elric would be more qualified to answer that question :P

Fullmetal Alchemist?

I have only been playing df for 2 and a half year. I mostly play adventure mode. I am also 17 and a half years old. I am not much active on the forum but I look at it more or less everyday. I am a history nerd who also likes to play tabletop rpgs. I think that more or less sums me up.

Nice to meet you gamerscout! You like tabletop games? Cool! Do you play online or with family and friends?

gamerscout

• Bay Watcher
  • Warrior of the lurker army
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 05:02:37 pm »

I play with my family. I could be up to playing online in the future but that would have to wait till I am done with my senior year.
Do you play any tabletop games?