Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Fortress Checklist  (Read 15543 times)

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Checklist
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 08:58:45 pm »

Doable.  Do you want towers?
necro? ive never fought necromancers before, sounds fun, sure.

might even have to take an adventurer to steal the secretes of life and death...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:00:16 pm by steel jackal »
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Valdus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Blog "Scrawls"
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 09:06:20 pm »

Well now that we are on the subject is there a kiddy pool, training wheels type of world. Something where resources are thrown at you?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 09:10:32 pm »

Surface magma, lots of surface wood and plants, extra flat... My settings tend to put lots at the fingertips early.

Just setting scarcity to something more generous would make metal and jewels more abundant.

I will gen the same world twice with different scarcity values.  The high megabeast and high secret values will keep it interesting.

Edit:

Walked out to get the Chromebook.  World gen spinner is running. As always, the game us having a hard time of it.  Could be awhile.

Edit again:

World gen created a world it likes. Finally.  Genning history to year 300.

3136 rejections.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:20:47 pm by wierd »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 10:59:44 pm »

Well now that we are on the subject is there a kiddy pool, training wheels type of world. Something where resources are thrown at you?
As far as training wheels go, embarking on island with calm area, some water on surface, no aquifer and no neighbours should hopefully limit the amount of danger and trouble you face even with create a new world option.

Thing like metal, sand and clay are neat to learn but not really necessary in such a place. A volcano and sedimentary layer on embark (somewhat difficult to get) would help with this. Ideally, you'd use this to learn how to feed, clothe, and water your dwarves, perhaps how to do some water-based mechanisms, what layouts you prefer for your fortress, what elevations you prefer, and so on. Perhaps also how tavern and library work?

You'll get bored eventually probably, but it's peaceful.

atari911

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I get here!?
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of Atari911
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 11:50:19 am »

I know this is not necessarily a fort-building checkbox, but one of the first things I always do is 'o-F' and then set it to CLAIM everything. Just makes things like claiming used ammunition and dead easier. Just dont forget to change them back when you are under siege! 
Running the entire world on a 2008 macbook!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 12:55:25 pm »

Ok. I have genned a world, and it created a few magma tubes.
Sadly, they are not the combination of features I find desirable.

I have 10 candidate sites that I have added notes to.  I am laboriously embarking on, and terminating DF before save, all of them to give as precise a description as possible.  Some have some redeeming features.

Notably, Candidate sites 9 and 3 so far.

spoilered to say the thread

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 08:50:30 pm »

@atari911: Yeah. To add to that, I personally turn off auto-loom and auto collect webs under workshop orders as well.

PS: It's not really newbie-suitable on account of the neighbours + possibly wanting a rainfall tweak for giant elephants, but I recently did do a 43.03+ flat volcano for request, if you're interested wierd.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:55:19 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 08:56:25 pm »

1: Decide on entrance location.
2: Unload wagon.
3: Basic workshops above ground. Skip in dangerous embark.
4: Dig down to main floor.
5: Move everything in, move workshops inside. Build Trading post. Begin stone goods from craftsdwarf shop. Designate bookkeeper/broker.
6: Dig farming areas. Begin planting.
7: Seal entrance with raising bridge.
7: Dig food storage and workshops as well as dining hall.
8: Dig dormitory.
9: Dig dedicated Industry (Masonry, Carpenter, Forges, etc).
10: Dig water system, designate hospital.
11: Military training set up.
12: Fort is now self-sustaining. Begin stupid dwarf project.

This is pretty much step by step how I do a typical fort.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 01:22:40 am »

Hey Steel Jackal--

I wasnt really happy with that last world, so I conjured another.

This one has a winner.

Dense highwood forest, with really big highwood trees. Not quite pancake like I like it, but very close.

Has aquifer, so unlimited water.
Magma tube
SAND!! Lots of sand!
shallow clay!
Flux stone layer

dunno if it has iron though.

Has both goblins (at war!) and a tower as (very close) neighbors, along with dwarves, elves, and humans.
Embark warns of salt water but I don't see it. Besides, that is curable with a screwpump.

Here's the world file

here is where to embark:
Spoiler: Clicky! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:56:34 am by wierd »

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 08:59:01 am »

Hey Steel Jackal--

I wasnt really happy with that last world, so I conjured another.

This one has a winner.

Dense highwood forest, with really big highwood trees. Not quite pancake like I like it, but very close.

Has aquifer, so unlimited water.
Magma tube
SAND!! Lots of sand!
shallow clay!
Flux stone layer

dunno if it has iron though.

Has both goblins (at war!) and a tower as (very close) neighbors, along with dwarves, elves, and humans.
Embark warns of salt water but I don't see it. Besides, that is curable with a screwpump.

Here's the world file

here is where to embark:
Spoiler: Clicky! (click to show/hide)

thanks, this should be fun to play with.

ive actually never messed with magma, or necros before.
i mean there was that one time when a necro siege appeared, but that was way back in 2014 and i had finished the great wall already so i just ignored it

as for dealing with the possible lack of iron, i can always just use a stupid dwarf trick to make infinite steel
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 09:03:20 am by steel jackal »

Valdus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Blog "Scrawls"
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 09:33:11 am »

I would not want to burden anyone with creating a training wheels world, but how would you know that you made a winner. I have a lot of trouble finding thick trees.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 11:14:44 am »

I would not want to burden anyone with creating a training wheels world, but how would you know that you made a winner. I have a lot of trouble finding thick trees.

in the embark screen you can check some of the sites information before embarking, it will tell you if there are a lot of trees.

also, for a newb world (what you refer to as training wheels) i would recommend generating a world with the following settings: medium size, short history, low sites, low civilizations, very low savagery, very low beasts, frequent mineral occurrence.

these settings will make the world a pretty peaceful place with not much dangerous wildlife, monsters, or goblins. another thing to look for is a good biome, in the embark they look blue, but not every world has them. good biomes have almost no danger in them (save for the unicorns, mind your hunters) and they are home to the sunberry, the best plant that ever existed to make booze out of, booze made from sunberries is FAR more valuable than booze made of anything else. note that it can only be grown above ground.

i recommend you take a look at the wiki page about embarking, it should help you find the right place to embark at.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Embark

avoid embarking in purple biomes, they are evil and are for experts looking for an extra challenge.

a few other misc tips:
pots hold more booze than barrels and can be made in the craftdwarves workshop. they are also lighter than barrels.
a temple to no particular deity will give your idling dwarves something to do, and generate happy thoughts for non-agnostic dwarves.
woe to those who dig too deep and too greedily, for they know not what lies below ~ either gandalf or gimli said something like that

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 03:46:11 pm »

hey weird, ive noticed something thats, well, weird.
your world uses a graphics pack that i dont have, so when i play it, the graphics are a bit diffrent from what they should be, i play with taffer but the game is using some other tileset.
how do i change the active tileset of a world?

nevermind, i got it to work by replacing the raws
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:57:07 pm by steel jackal »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 04:04:02 pm »

Glad to hear it. Forgot about my graphics set. That is Iron hand graphics, BTW.

Magma at the surface is handy, no?  I got spoiled by magma tubes way back in .40d.

As far as I know, all industry trees should be possible on that embark.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 04:56:43 pm »

Glad to hear it. Forgot about my graphics set. That is Iron hand graphics, BTW.

Magma at the surface is handy, no?  I got spoiled by magma tubes way back in .40d.

As far as I know, all industry trees should be possible on that embark.

hmm i only see sarguro cactus, i might have embarked at a diffrent location. but either way i checked and a tower and goblins are within range, and i have the magma tube so its fine.

and yeah, magma is just amazing, i have plans to make a path for magma to flow down onto that goes by my entrance, that way i can just flip a lever and the floodgates will open and unleash a torrent of magma (well, since its above ground its lava) onto the invading hordes of zombies :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5