Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves are placing things in this strange place  (Read 778 times)

DragonOfWar900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves are placing things in this strange place
« on: October 26, 2016, 11:27:16 am »

So i was looking around the outside of my fortress and i found this:

It's the trapdoor looking thing.

It seems that this object contains quite a lot of stuff. And my dwarves sometimes go up there and store items in that place. What is that and how do i remove it. I tried claiming all of the items but it didn't seem to work. I tried using Designate>Remove construction/Reove Designation, Set Building Task/Pref (It didn't highlight the object), all without success.

Bradders

• Bay Watcher
  • A creature fond of drink, incense and industry
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves are placing things in this strange place
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 03:11:21 pm »

Well, what is on that tile?  Did you examine it with (k), (q) and (t)?  Is it an (i) dump zone forgotten about?  Needs more info's.

RattyB

• Bay Watcher
  • Help.
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 04:24:44 pm »

Do you know what graphics set you are using?
It may help.
Good day to you, sir!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 04:44:26 pm »

It looks like you've toggled "garbage dump" on an activity zone on a z-level above. Dwarves will automatically chuck items marked for dumping off an edge when they can, leading to a pile like that down below. Disable "garbage dump" on your pasture/plant gathering/etc. zone and your dwarves should stop tossing stuff in the pile.

DragonOfWar900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 10:32:01 am »

Well, what is on that tile?  Did you examine it with (k), (q) and (t)?  Is it an (i) dump zone forgotten about?  Needs more info's.

I examinated the thing using k and there was Cloth and leather bins, a toy, 3 crutches, a quiver, a sand bag, 2 barrels, a plump helmet spawn bag, cabbage seeds bag, an iron anvil, a whip vine seeds bag, a backpack, a chest and bells. All of which are not marked as "Dump". I've used (i) and there wasn't a garbage dump zone.

Do you know what graphics set you are using?
It may help.

I'm using Pheobus

It looks like you've toggled "garbage dump" on an activity zone on a z-level above. Dwarves will automatically chuck items marked for dumping off an edge when they can, leading to a pile like that down below. Disable "garbage dump" on your pasture/plant gathering/etc. zone and your dwarves should stop tossing stuff in the pile.

From what I know, I've never setted a "garbage dump" as an activity zone, as it's, for me, a " complication more to worry about". And i haven't found a zone were i accidentally setted as a garbage dump.  Plus, none of the items there are marked as "Dump".

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 08:06:54 pm »

I've also had situations where dwarfs store objects in strange places...

In one strange scenario, one had claimed a skeleton as their property and stored it in a cabinet in their bedroom!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't ask me why.

It could be that a caravan had broken and dropped all its items on that spot. It's happened to me in the past, a wagon had rotted (or something) and dumped its load; or potentially a merchant got spooked and dropped stuff.
Were the items forbidden on that spot when you found them? if so, this could be the explanation. Check your missing units page for a missing wagon.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 10:13:22 pm »

Have you ever produced or obtained chest or bells, actually? They usually indeed show up mostly by caravans.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 02:59:43 am »

Definitely caravan drops.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 09:44:52 am »

Definitely caravan drops.

Have you ever seen a caravan bring a hatch cover? While it's certainly possible that the caravan dropped those other items somewhere, if dwarves are "storing items" in this particular spot then it isn't likely to be a caravan drop.

From what I know, I've never setted a "garbage dump" as an activity zone, as it's, for me, a " complication more to worry about". And i haven't found a zone were i accidentally setted as a garbage dump.  Plus, none of the items there are marked as "Dump".

They wouldn't be marked "dump" after dwarves dumped them; they would be forbidden.

Anyway, you can upload a save to DFFD ( http://dffd.bay12games.com/ ) and someone will take a look at it.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 06:40:53 am »

Are the dwarves actually storing items in there, or storing items they take from there?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.