Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The material and quality of Artifacts  (Read 682 times)

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The material and quality of Artifacts
« on: October 26, 2016, 01:18:45 pm »

So, in fortress mode when a dwarf makes an artifact it is of very high quality, will artifacts generated in the artifact update also be of high quality? Also will holy artifacts me made out of divine materials similar to what angels use?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: The material and quality of Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 02:01:44 pm »

The Suggestions board is for ideas of what to add to the game plans. In the future, if you have a question about what is already planned you should take it to the Future of the Fortress thread.

Just FYI.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 04:29:42 pm »

Ok.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 04:34:58 pm »

Books are functionally artifacts, yet they can have variable quality levels, so the foundation is already in the game.  I see this being useful for "historical artifacts" rather than Strange Mood objects.  For example, the First Anvil, or the heirloom socks worn by a famous general.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 04:57:36 pm »

Or the crappy copper short sword that some random hero became married to after bashing dozens of goblins into a bloody pulp with it? One thing I -would- enjoy seeing more any of is non-dwarven artifacts. I understand that right now only dwarves have the token that allows them to proc strange moods. Sure, we can always mod other races to also have moods, but it would help add depth and variety to worlds where dwarves have one way or another become extinct. I could see some of these being "lesser artifacts," but I'm a bit biased toward dwarven craftsmanship.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 02:52:13 am »

I think holy artifacts (based on what's been said so far) are completely normal objects that become 'holy' because a certain entity has become attached to them (their favorite priest's leather thong after he dies for example, or perhaps one of his teeth) much as a warrior becomes attached to his favorite sword and names it despite it being a copper piece of crap.

Regular folk don't (shouldn't...) have access to divine materials, so there's no reason holy artifacts will be made of them.

All of the above to be radically rethought come the myths and magic release of course at which point the local priest may well receive divine pants from the gods, to be worshipped forever more by his crazy followers.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 09:16:59 pm »

Books are functionally artifacts, yet they can have variable quality levels, so the foundation is already in the game.
I think the quality is actually a sort of decoration, not the item itself.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?