Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [14x14 tileset] biolinum v3  (Read 4569 times)

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[14x14 tileset] biolinum v3
« on: October 27, 2016, 11:19:46 am »

I've been working on this tileset for over 5 years (started somewhere around v28 or 40d, as it was known) and it was really just made for myself, as there was serious lack of 14x14 sets. 16x16 always seemed a bit to big and 12x12 lacks the room for detail. Anyway... now it's at a stage, where I think, it's good enough for sharing. This is called biolinum as the letters is based on the Linux Biolinum font, but most of it is hand-drawn pixel by pixel anyway. It is very close to ASCII and there are no plans to add a graphics set.

Newest version and info here.

Spoiler: OLD VERSION (click to show/hide)
Feel free to use the set as you like... if you republish it with or without modifications, it would be awesome if you notify and mention me, though.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:12:52 pm by moki »
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: [14x14 tileset] biolinum v3
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 01:00:50 am »

Gave it a whirl, since my next embark would probably be 2x1. Pretty neat, almost exact fit (half a tile shorter and 1 tile wider) on 1366x768 without any tabs.

Weird thing - it wouldn't accept the .png file for download as-is. Copying the image and saving that fixed it.

And I see what you mean about soil tiles. However, I love how the stone walls and floors usually look by themselves. Well,

It's not as noticeable on the screenshots in OP, but:

Feels like it is using twbt and looking at building from above, but all of this is on same z-level with 2DSW print mode.

Same thing happens with visible engravings on floor, but you already know that.

Of course, the text is square :P
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:02:52 am by Fleeting Frames »

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 04:41:25 am »

Oh well, back to the drawing board it is. Thanks, Fleeting Frames, for the input.

1. Light colors, especially cyan are always a problem, but I don't think there's much I can do about it. Maybe I'll fine-tune the colors some more and add a little bit more embossing to the letters to increase the contrast.

2. Oops, forgot about that one since my screen was is a bit too dark, which made the difference almost invisible. I guess, default black background will come back. I don't want to change all the black pixels in the tiles to this almost-black and screw everybody who doesn't like my color choice in the process.

3. Half-transparent pixels at the edges are a pain the posterior for those tiles that ignore transparency. The extra wide walls will stay, but I'll shave off the edges, so that the difference between the corners is a bit more than just one pixel.

4. I do not recommend showing the engravings by default with this set. In fact, I'd never recommend it, but that's a matter of taste. I made these floor tiles so that engraved floors look awesome without it. Especially the tiles that are extremely annoying in default ASCII like schist, orthoclase and microcline are rather nice now.

I'll post an update soon, so stay tuned. And I guess, I'll drop photobucket, since it seems to mess with the pngs in some way.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 02:09:03 pm »

!!UPDATE!!
(not necessarily on fire, but with lots of changes)

Instead of fiddling with the pixels for a few minutes, I remade the whole set as vector graphics with only very slight corrections for aliasing issues. Why? Because vectors are awesome and I might add other sizes from 16x16 to 32x32 soon. 14x14 will stay, though, because it's great to fit a lot of information on screens below 1920x1080.

Changelog:
- faces tweaked. still not completely happy with the soldier face, but it'll do for now.
- completely new soil tiles to make them a bit less annoying and flickery
- realignment of the letters, so that they're actually baseline-aligned now
- slightly stronger shading on the letters to increase contrast for unmined tiles
- lighter walls to make the main color more obvious
- decreased wall width by 1px on each side and removed half-transparent pixels to make minecart tracks easier to see

download link

Spoiler: recommended colors.txt (click to show/hide)