Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ☼Mephs Map Tileset☼ - 16x/24x/32x tilesets for a nicer worldmap  (Read 32022 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

A tileset exclusively used to portrait nice worldmaps. All characters are improved to show hills, grasses, forests, towns and hamlets, necromancer towers and goblin pits. Unfortunately a lot of text character like ",", ".", "V", "0", "I" and "n" are replaced too, which means that this tileset is only for maps!

Spoiler: Example map 32x32 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example map 24x24 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example map 16x16 (click to show/hide)

Credits:
I use the text characters from Dragondeplatinos Dawnfortress set, it was the nicest 32x32 text I could find.
I used photoshop brush templates for a lot of the icons, resized and recolored.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:40:51 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Mephs Map Tileset☼ - 16x/24x/32x tilesets for a nicer worldmap
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:10:02 pm »

- It's like this in unmodded too, but small cyan streams are more attention-grabbing than moderate-sized blue streams. Not sure if this can be messed with?

- I had to zoom in and look around to figure out which were elves. Don't really associate capes and cruches with them. Initially thought the goblet represented them, as the major forest retreat represents  goblets by default.

- Both Fortresses look good and intuitive.

- Tundra, glaciers and artic oceans are eye-searingly bright, though they look very good in isolated squares. I think the ones I'm not completely sure about are:
• badlands vs hilly rocky wasteland - the latter is a single diagonal dune, right?

• Grassland, savanna, shrubland - To be fair, hard to distinguish in vanilla too. I'd guess the few trees are shrubland while double and single brushes are savanna and grassland, respectively.

- Confused one of the city types for towers occassionally.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 07:59:03 pm »

- It's like this in unmodded too, but small cyan streams are more attention-grabbing than moderate-sized blue streams. Not sure if this can be messed with?
What exactly do you mean by that?

- I had to zoom in and look around to figure out which were elves. Don't really associate capes and cruches with them. Initially thought the goblet represented them, as the major forest retreat represents  goblets by default.
Its a classical figure, a woman in a toga, not a cape/crutch ^^

- Both Fortresses look good and intuitive.

- Tundra, glaciers and artic oceans are eye-searingly bright, though they look very good in isolated squares. I think the ones I'm not completely sure about are:
• badlands vs hilly rocky wasteland - the latter is a single diagonal dune, right?
I can make the ice darker. Badlands are a diagonal canyon. Might look a bit like a dune. The latter, rocky somethings, should be a black tile with a few colored rocks/dots on it. If you look at the tileset above, its 3rd line, center. Underneath the conifer trees.

• Grassland, savanna, shrubland - To be fair, hard to distinguish in vanilla too. I'd guess the few trees are shrubland while double and single brushes are savanna and grassland, respectively.
DF kinda mixes those. I just put generic grass tiles for them.

- Confused one of the city types for towers occassionally.
The goblin dark fortress, I guess?
Thanks for the detailed feedback. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 10:06:16 pm »

Rivers, compare larger river and smaller stream:

The streams are really attention-grabbing on world map. The rivers go well in with the rest of the set.

- Nah, one of the human towns. This one:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 05:17:15 am »

As far as I'm aware, both use the same tile, DF just changes the colors. Bright blue and dark blue. IF I make the tile darker, both will look darker. :/

That human town is an anchor, since those towns only exist on the ocean. I wanted the symbol to fit a harbor.

raeborga

• Bay Watcher
  • [STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 08:35:12 am »

Maybe find a way to push the ocean tiles down a bit, either by making them slightly darker or slightly thinner? You don't get the "continent pop" that some map tilesets have.

Really minor thing. It looks great.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 09:35:14 am »

I actually made 3 different wave tiles. One is very slim/dark, which highlights continents more, but I thought it looks odd for lakes/sand/deserts.

StevedaG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 06:08:58 am »

hey Meph,is the map tileset for MDF or we have to wait for a little longer to be on MDF?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 03:35:50 pm »

It works for all DF versions and all mods. Its included in Masterwork too, in the data/art folder. Just look for the Meph_Map_32x32.png.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 04:23:26 pm »

Other questions answered... except, how does one tell what civ the various hamlets/etc belong to?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 05:28:42 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 05:54:18 pm »

Vanilla, the only time coloring changes happens via takeovers is with dark pits and forts going from purple to gray. Since this is just a tileset....Well.

All other options the easiest way is to look at sites to see their name during or before finalizing world generation, i.e. "The Dark Elven Fortress of Nimocauri". Won't tell apart with that if you have multiple civs of each races, though.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 06:05:28 pm »

I think with humans, the first human civilization is green and the second is blue. Is that right?

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 06:15:04 pm »

I see... what about MWDF races? I assume that all "evil" races are set to use goblin icons and so on? Shame to hear it uses colors, I have difficulties distinguishing certain shades.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 06:27:01 pm »

That'd be awesome if overrides could be used for the different civ sites, but it doesn't look like there are any overrides that can do that at the moment.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 06:32:17 pm »

There is no way to really access this. The amount of construction types is hardcoded... cant even change colors or anything. :/
Pages: [1] 2