Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water generation plant  (Read 7657 times)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water generation plant
« on: October 27, 2016, 04:44:29 pm »

I made a little water generator to produce water on a glacier, version is 43.05. Nothing much innovative, but still something I could not find in forum or wiki, so this might be useful to some other players. The little control room is just a hauling route set to push daily, the signal goes to the hatch in the main circuit (a minecart stands on it, currently not visible). The pressure plates are linked to the (pre-toggled) gear next to the magma pump and the bridge preventing the water to flow out uncontrolled. Controls are powerless, but pump needs power of course. The pressure plates are pathed over twice within 100 turns, so I get the required longer intervals between on and off signals that I required (for the somewhat slow pumpless spread of water). Ramps have the obvious tracks (straight south in the ditch, acceleration on the three brick ramps).

The water refreezes (and produces full ice) once the magma is not pumped anymore and settles back to the reservoir, this requires past exposure to the outside.

The control room:

z+0 while frozen / z+0 while liquid:

z-1 while active:

z-2 while active:

Signing off,
Stukod Nosingfikod, chief engineer of Stabbedchambers
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 12:40:00 am by taptap »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water generation plant
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 11:55:41 pm »

Sweet! Any chance you could put that on the wiki? If I ever play a glacier I will want to refer back to these plans, and frankly the search function in the forums leaves something to be desired. Maybe under "stupid dwarf tricks?" (No, not all the tricks are stupid, that's just the name of the catch all page for neat and/or stupid projects that aren't necessarily "mega" in size.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 01:15:57 am »

Sweet! Any chance you could put that on the wiki? If I ever play a glacier I will want to refer back to these plans, and frankly the search function in the forums leaves something to be desired. Maybe under "stupid dwarf tricks?" (No, not all the tricks are stupid, that's just the name of the catch all page for neat and/or stupid projects that aren't necessarily "mega" in size.

I think there is a bluepirnts page.

edit: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Blueprint_library
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 02:47:43 am »

Interesting. So in addition to an obsidian farm, we can now have an ice farm for unlimited building materials (although only under the particular circumstances of a biome that freezes at least occasionally).

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 03:22:38 am »

Interesting. So in addition to an obsidian farm, we can now have an ice farm for unlimited building materials (although only under the particular circumstances of a biome that freezes at least occasionally).

This is more about the water, actually. You can of course cast ice with the water generated to build a nice igloo settlement. If you are only in it for ice boulders you could build even simpler with no need to ever move / skim water. (Just partially mine, melt, refreeze, mine again...)

The urgent need for water occured to me once on a no-water, but habitable single cavern glacier embark. There I really wanted the water for a hospital and underground power generation (and fluid logic), it has been a project ever since.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:26:23 am by taptap »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 04:44:59 am »

*blink*

Any reason why not just park the minecart on the on plate till you have enough water?

And yeah, haven't seen anything like this implemented before.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 05:09:40 am »

*blink*

Any reason why not just park the minecart on the on plate till you have enough water?

And yeah, haven't seen anything like this implemented before.

Need a better tuned main circuit to just run it on autorepeat (could open the hatch by lever then) as is I need additional delay for water bridge to close again. A few extra loops in the main circuit would do the trick as well, but I got bored of tuning and single-step counting especially when not strictly required. Operating only daily is a smaller loss than it might seem as the whole operation takes several hundred steps already. (Factor 2-3?) But there definitely is space for improvement.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 05:23:18 am »

Ah I see. I got the impression that it refreezes and outputs every 50 steps.

Is there any floor in front of pump?

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 05:58:58 am »

Ah I see. I got the impression that it refreezes and outputs every 50 steps.

Is there any floor in front of pump?

No. Any floor would mess up refreezing. (On a larger scale you would require some pattern with partial bridges most likely. Initially I wanted to go with a bridge until I realised water refreezes when non-moving full 7 magma is below it, so this is simply my original design without a bridge to hold the magma. )
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:03:25 am by taptap »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 05:29:44 pm »

This is an undeniably irrelevant necro, but what is that tileset? I'd like to use it.