Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 122758 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

I can start on monday
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Perfect, I'll try to write Journal chapter 2 today then ;)
The World has changed quite a lot ! :o
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Well, the turn did last 39 years....I had pretty good FPS, though, especially given the amount of landscape reshaping. At the moment of finishing, 50ish, granted(still good for a fat fort with water generators and oceanside lapping, I think), but for majority of the fortress lifespan it remained above 100 (population growth is geometrical, after all).

...I now realize I never ran cleanconst either for potential? FPS boost (some 8k items). Ah well.
And, heh, never realized the fort had 930 bags. The seeds just sat in the linked still :P

Interestingly, retire and unretire cleans up the dead list by a tenfold. Also floods part of it due ocean (most significantly - cavern shafts), so the FPS actually drops. Interestingly, the orders to dump wafers remain in order. Also, minecarts were not moved, but they were unassigned from routes.

And of course, fishing became viable again.

And something unexpected: Mossy kumquat wood log floor outside.

This can result in trees growing on floor:

I looked at the artifacts in the save now, after uploading. Most of them depict other artifacts (some time travel), but the typical event is in year 5, related to the Crazy Siege or ascension of a queen. It'd be nice if there were more interesting things to depict

Still, some decipted events are nice even if they don't time travel.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

On Teyo Ewe - The World of Enchantments

Chapter Two - War never changes

Written by Spriggans - Keeper of Secrets
Year 42

The year is 42.
The world has changed.

Spoiler: year 3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: year 42 (click to show/hide)

Looks like all civilizations grew up nicely. At least in numbers.
In this chapter, we will cover the different wars that occured in the last years.

Let's start with the most boring civilizations. The ones who grew up peacefully in these last 40 years. No wars with anybody.

First, The merged Earth. The Elves of the Far West. They grew from 105 to 362. Absolutely nothing happened to them.

before                                                            after

Then, The Gloved Pillars. The Northern Dwarves. The one who live in the haunted glaciers. They only have their mountainhome alive : PlanChamber. They bred 20 dwarves in 40 years.
Their outposts of MistyMirrors, in the northern glacier, still stands with 4 dwarves; and the one of HallFlanks, in the central mountains, has 10.

The goblins have been quite nice :
The God-Forsaken Witch, the goblins of the South of the main continent, are now 900.

And the goblins of the Reticent Continent (The Jackals of Tops), alone on their Island, have also increased their numbers to roughly a thousand. They are the most populated civ.

Both goblin civs have been peaceful, oddly enough, for all this time.

In the West, some little wars happened amongst the Humans and the Elves.
There are two Elven civs :
- Northern : The Robust Fang
- Southern : The Lovely Ram of Kindness

There are two Human civs :
- Northern : The Stoked Confederation
- Southern : The Realm of Planks

The wars, if we can call them that, are ongoing like this :

(Arrows are the attackers, pointing to their targets)

But they are more little annoyance than real wars.
Only twenty humans/elves died in these. So, overall, the West of the World is safe and peaceful.

But my elven spies of The Lovely Ram of Kindness reported some unsettling facts...
They saw some goblins roaming in the West of their blessed forest, in a dark cave nearby.

These goblins claimed the cave in 8. They are from the most Evil civilization there is...

The Simple Malice ! Ruled by their monster Uwshe !

If the rest of the World was good to dwarves, this civilization of Goblins, whom strongplace, PlagueJuice, is located in the North East of the World, must have sworn to destroy them.

They are less populated than the other goblin civs, numbering around 400 souls (if we can use the term "soul" for goblins).
Anyway, the dwarves are equals to them in numbers...
But the Simple Malice settled an outpost in the cave near the dwarves, with 100 goblins in it.
From this outpost, attacks occured yearly, and the dwarves had to give up their strongplaces to the goblins.

The mountainhomes, TrueAttic, were the first to fall !

Then, the fortress of PlainManor was taken over...

From year 9, after the conquest of PlainManor, the Simple Malice calmed down, and is now in times of peace, not attacking anyone... For now.

Thanksfully for the Rhyming Occult-Palisade, a dwarven group, HopefulChildren settled in the Fortress of MoonHome, on an island far from any civilized being !
Spoiler: moonhome (click to show/hide)

This fortress grew peacefully all these years. And it is now the mountainhome of The Rhyming Occult-Palisade ! It is also the last hope for these dwarves to keep their freedom, their independance, against the goblin threats. The new Queen lives there, safe and very well alive...

But at what cost ?
The Northern dwarves are doing nothing, perpetuating their bloody rituals using the cosmical forces of their frozen Hell.
The Southern dwarves fled from battles, living on a paradize island, hiding from the hard Truth...

We need to react !
I sent words to all my spies to spread a new idea I had...
I hope things will go as planned.

Who knows what the future holds for TeyoEwe ?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 06:27:17 pm by Spriggans »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

There is this wonderful site for DF saves, no ads, no wait times, anything. its the df file depot! http://dffd.bay12games.com/

Really, I am so sick of Mega.

edit: Im gonna make a fort in the north
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:41:50 pm by Gwolfski »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- *looks at goblins*

*is jealous*

So much breeding!

900 goblins. about 350 in dark pits I guess.

The Jackal of Tops might go to war against Moonhome, should the small gap be bridged completely.

And that's where all the population of the Simple Malice went! That's why they're so easy so assassinate, Uwshe is so terrible ruler they'd literally rather live in a cave.

PS. Other way around: Trueattic fell in 5. Plainmanor was still attacked in 6. I looked into it previously.

@Gwolfski:
I did to register for DFFD. But I never got the confirmation mail, I never got account activation after several password resets, and the whole thing took days to wait for each thing.

So, yeah.

Unless you know some other file hoster service you'd suggest? Older sites like rapidshare have way more ads and wait time...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:58:47 pm by Fleeting Frames »

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile

PTW

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

Hallo! I'm ba-
THIRTY - NINE YEARS.
THIRTY - NINE FECKING YEARS!!!???!!!???
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Excuse me sir, that's 39 in dwarf fortress years, which is 1 irl week in this case.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

That's right.

39 years, you've been gone a long time.
We've missed you, Imic...

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile

Quiet forts last ages it seems. At least dwarves won't go extinct from goblin invasions now.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

I'm building a library in the evil glacier.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

When my turn rolls around, I am constructing a new mountainhome in an area with metal. Also, it would be nice if people would reclaim this possible fort afterwards.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm am thinking in terms of multiple fortresses to create path-able bridge from continent to island. 

Maybe have tracks and minecart track stop from map edge to map edges on 1x16 embarks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Regarding that, a previous idea from reading DF general: Embark locations can extend past the local region (happens with 15x15 base rectangle and embark-tools on in 43.03 lnp, at least). Using cheatengine (that means installing windows DF version, I guess), you could do a contiguous 1x361 (x363 if overlapping) embark from Festivesteam to Savestreams.

The FPS would be atrocious (it'd be 1,37 16x16 embarks) and you'd need to run it as miner/gatherer group (because it's so long dwarves would dehydrate when walking from one end to other), but the benefit of doing the track road like that is that wars, conquering and visitors would be placed in the entire longfort, making it hopefully act as road for civs too.

As for one for goblin island, hm....I wonder how they will react? The southern mainland goblin civ has been peaceful and is nearly as strong, but the island civ is complete unknown.

@Gwoflski:
I wish you luck.
I tried to trade books or their copies written in my fort, but failed to find them in the trade menu.

Also, I think 2 player forts died in the evil glacier, so...Look out.

@Imic:
Bred a new mountainhome, that's what! :)

Novel concept for me :P. Still, you were away for only 22 years, if you read the updates till your previous post :v
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 35