Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 121032 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 0.43.04
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 04:00:04 am »

Wait, I'm setting up the fortress ????
One wheel short of a wagon

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 05:12:17 am »

Or adventuring, or reclaiming, or whatever you want.

@Imic: Can we have some pictures of whatever you did at the forts?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 05:46:08 am »

Hot damn I like this name seed.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 06:01:50 am »

Journal of Nanirasrathkogsak, 1st Limestone, 2

We have arrived, at the Northern foot of the great range of Mountains know as the Distracting Rainy-Point, that crested peak beset by eternal drizzle that has captured the eyes and hearts of unwitting dwarves for centuries, twisting the course of our kingdom as we try to determine what it is about these sodden mountains that makes them so damn interesting. It is a task even a mighty fortress has been unable to complete, but often one can see more from the outside than the centre. By the will of Armok, our expedition will uncover their secret. To this end, I shall appoint one dwarf as the head secret-finder-outer of our fortress.

To the Northeast are the freezing but abundant Jungles of Stabbing, so called for the rich mineral, animal and vegetable wealth to be found there and the brutal, banal conflicts that come with it in that forsaken place, which gives us a true view of the darkness that lurks in the heart of man.

And to the true North, just before the endless and lifeless ice-mountains of the frozen oceans, is the sinister Frost of Spoils, named after the loot to be picked from the undead there, the wealth our mightiest warriors bring back from the howling wastes.

In the light of these great resources, and their srtategic importance to the Dwarven kingdom, I shall also appoint a head of Espionage, to review and make reports on the goings-on we observe in these huge natural bounties.

By the will of Armok, the fort, "Kingdomsabre", shall stand proud and subjugate the bestial natures of these cold, dark and very rainy places.

I have begun planning out our Fort. It will be located in the mountainous section to the Northwest, as we will hollow out the massive hill that dominates the plains and valleys of this place. There is wood aplenty, and our Head of espionage, Rimtar Vipertrades, a guileful merchant, has already discovered the presence of deer in these forests. Momuz Floorhours has been less sucessful so far in determining the secret of the Distracting Rainy-Point, but he has some theories, oh yes.

The lads have started settling into the place, and we held a small celebration upon arrival. I was given a new surname by the Mountainhome officials to show my enhanced position, an occasion of no small ceremony. Not entirely sure that I'm going to be a miner or make Jewellery, but everyone said it was a good name even so. Suited me, even.

~Listat Borering, Leader of Kingdomsabre
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 07:53:48 am by NJW2000 »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 06:13:08 am »

Or adventuring, or reclaiming, or whatever you want.

@Imic: Can we have some pictures of whatever you did at the forts?
I will when I get the chance, I'm doing a tad of early spring cleaning.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drama in Kingdomsabre!
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 10:11:48 am »

Scholarly Observations on the Distracting Rainy-Point
Firstly, this mountain range is pretty damn distracting. I have to go underground to write to stop myself from spending the whole time staring at the bloody thing! It's hypnotic... something about the high rainclouds on the windswept slopes, proud stone spires lashed by gales and storms... beautiful and fascinating. Wonderful.

Talking of rain, we don't seem to have a water source. Better mention that to somebody.

Oh, and according to that Litast guy, apparently I haven't figured out enough about the mountain, and he doesn't want the mountainhome officials to think badly of us, so he's made a temple I can pray to Arel for inspiration. Death and rivers... meh. To be honest, I only claimed to worship Him for tax reasons a few years ago, but better not let Litast know that his paperwork is wrong, it'd only upset him.

Letters to Trueattic
Regards to my Friends in the Service of the Kingdom. I have begun spying out the inhospitable territory around our fortress. Wishing to see if the rumours of bountiful game hunting were true, I armed myself with a crossbow, and went after a deer someone said they'd seen. Sadly, it turned out to be a porcupine. I am a little disappointed, truth be told, but will not let that hinder my intelligence-gathering activities.

Yours,
Rimtar Vipertrades
Head of Espionage at Kingdomsabre

Journal of Osorast,
We have begun constructing a walled enclosure running down the mountain walls made of ice and gates made of wood. This seems perfectly logical. Rooms of ice have been dug out, and we are getting started on the workshops. Oh look, our stoneworker tried the old "wall yourself off from everyone else" joke and nobody noticed for a week.

Oh, and just to top it all off, a cloud of "fiendish dust" just drifted in. Everyone indoors!
Spoiler: Very bad (click to show/hide)

Oh, and a couple of horses got left outside.

Spoiler: inordinately bad (click to show/hide)

We worked desperately to wall off the workshops and meeting hall...

Oh look, now they're fighting... and the cats are going out. Pity, they might have been delicious. But now they're dead... undead... killed by undead horses. Better get ready to kill whichever fiendish dust thrall horse remains... the dust has passed, at least, but small piles still remain scatteroud about our entrance. Maybe a snowstorm will clear it away.

The horse fiends have been fighting in the entrance for several days. The wall separating us from the horses is complete, but will we ever be able to leave? I have decided to butcher the dogs. We are performing and praying to keep up our spirits, but a cat corpse has turned undead directly above our head on the mountainside. I shall have to dispose of the skin very, very carefully.

Oh great, it came alive and we had to scratch it to bits. Walling off the other dog skin now.

There is no longer any food or water. I have ordered a shaft dug to the centre of the Earth. Perhaps we shall finally learn the secret of the Distracting Rainy-Point.

Perhaps we all shall die.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 11:32:07 am »

I knew that this workd was a good choice. Fingers still crossed for someone embarking in the dune of beards, though!
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 04:30:35 pm »

Two months in and I've managed to trap everyone in a small space with a buncha reanimating skins.

I didn't know I was this bad at DF.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2016, 07:34:53 pm »

Snrk. With only a day to plan and execute, things not going perfectly isn't a surprise. Sounds like the undead had a loyalty cascade. That fiendish dust is going to be troublesome to get rid of. At least the wildlife isn't undead.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2016, 08:46:18 am »

Snrk. With only a day to plan and execute, things not going perfectly isn't a surprise. Sounds like the undead had a loyalty cascade. That fiendish dust is going to be troublesome to get rid of. At least the wildlife isn't undead.
Not yet at least, give it time.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2016, 08:49:11 am »

Scholarly Observations on the Distracting Rainy-Point, 1st Opal, 2
Death and Rivers! Rivers or Death! Truly, my worship of Arel has been reinforced by this unhappy turn of events. For if we do not find a river belowground, we surely all shall die.

It is not a happy thought. Not at all.

But I think of the Distracting Rainy-point, and my fears subside momentarily. I must study it to the exception of all else.

Letter to Trueattic
My Friends in the Service of the Kingdom

It is the duty of a secret serviceman to lay down his life for his country, and if these letters ever reach you, know that I did so willingly. I am confused by the actions of Litast Borering, the expedition leader, who instead of thinking about the pile of goods outside has decided to tunnel to the caverns beneath the world for water, a task that will not be completed before we all die of thirst. What is this dwarf's agenda, constantly arguing that we should go deeper, and through his own ineptness has forced us underground so soon?

In the interests of keeping myself alive, I suggested that we tunnel through to the stocks left in a pile outside, full of dwarven beer barrels, while the undead horses are distracted. It will be a dangerous operation, especially due to the presence of an undead cat nearby, but we must strive.

Journal of Osorast

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. We are tunneling down, and to the supplies, but will we be in time? My throat feels like giant cave spiders clad in wooden armour are crawling up and down it.

There is water all around us, but it is frozen. This is possibly the most unpleasant fact of our imminent deaths.

The undead dogs skins escaped and attacked the herbalist amid clouds of miasma as the bodies of the dogs rot, uneaten flesh going rotten.
We are currently hacking them to bits with battle axes. The parts will probably reanimate, but oh well. We are also digging our way to the drink stores left outside. The undead cat may see us, but we should be able to finish it. The horse thralls fight on and on in a pit somewhere, oblivious to anything but the shattering kicks of their opponent smashing them into a fine paste. They are hardier than anything I have seen before. Even horrific beasts of the caverns feel pain and can be killed if their injuries are hideous enough. But these creatures have no limit.

The skin on the dog's head has reanimated. It is proving even less dangerous, but much harder to kill. As everyone attacks it, I am forced to construct a last-hope drawbridge shutting us off from the tunnel to the pile of booze outside... I hope it will not come to this.

There is no time. Urist Nevaslucar has died of thirst. We must break through to the booze now.

Agonisingly, it takes an age to carve out a shoddy last set of stairs... we are there! Alcohol! Liquids! Our aching throats are soothed!

Here, several pages have been torn out or come loose from the journal.

The cat approaches as each dwarf scurries up and drinks, but is summarily beheaded with a pick. The dog head skin continues to hold several dwarves underground fighting, as they struggle to extricate themselves from the fray. Perhaps a pick will kill it?

The other dogs head skin has turned undead. Urist will turn soon, but we may kill him, unlike these terrible slippery scraps of undead life. We must remember that he can kill us.

Urist has risen. Only Doren wavewheeled has escaped from the horrific fray, as he quietly worships in a corner. I shout to him to wall himself off, but he rises from his meditation and plunges into a battle against a force he cannot defeat. I, cowering in the tunnel between the outdoor drunk cache and the massacre, am the only one left. I listen to the defeated cries of the herbalist Ber Thikut, a once might battle-axe wielding slayer of undead, now supine and senseless as killing blows from the merciless Urist rain down on her.

It is horrific, but it falls to me to wall away my friends... none have a chance of survival, and once the dead Urist has finished with them, he will come for me, and the others will rise in turn. I must act now.

The next few pages are almost entirely illegible.

I had no choice! It was not my fault, there was nothing I could have done, it was for the good of Kingdomsabre! Oh, vainglorious name, to think we named you so pridefully and fell so soon. My friends and comrades in adversity are dying behind me, in a glimmering prison of bloodstained ice. I CAN HEAR THEM SCREAMING THROUGH THE WALLS.

Wait. Some have survived, if only for instants, I hear them talking. I must save them now. But have I the courage? The spy from the mountainhome has escaped as well... no, he is crawling, leading the undead to the others... I cannot watch!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2016, 09:04:03 am »

Heh. So, you've made it to summer?

Hm...There is a rarely-useful trick for retrieving goods from undead-filled surface - put a stockpile onto the goods, then dig ramps underneath them - the goods will drop right down, but the floor will remain whole.

Of course, a futile endeavour when the fortress itself has dead stalking it's halls. At least it isn't so cold that people literally freeze to death. On the other hand, perhaps that would kill the undead.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 09:13:58 am »

The tunnel outside wasn't the danger in the end, it was that damn indestructible skin bug. Just going to save whoever I can then abandon, probably. Seeing as I managed to destroy the fort in three months (or two days irl), mind if I make an adventurer to go explore the fort? I should have finished with Kingdomsabre by tomorrow, which will leave four days for other stuff.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2016, 09:36:27 am »

I'd think that would depend most on Baffler, given they're after you.

I might play with low-quality updates for a few days, if it'd be ok to upgrade to 43.05?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2016, 11:28:52 am »

At least if anyone else embarks up north, they'll know what's comin' now. And they can come prepared. Poor sodding NJW.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35