Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 122855 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 0.43.04
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2016, 03:21:09 pm »

One wheel short of a wagon

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2016, 03:32:09 pm »

Huh. Not only is there an evil glacier, there is also a good glacier?

Hm, how did they know of Litast's cowardice anyway? Sealed in, there should have been naught that could get out....Oh right, she ran away.

But I'm surprised to learn that the dead go to the land where those not living reside.

And I guess this marks one of the few times I've read an account where DF was played as in Toady's vision of falling fort followed by adventuring.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2016, 06:28:23 pm »

Alright, claiming the save. I'll play some tonight, but I dunno how far I'll get.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2016, 10:40:26 pm »

[Retconned due to computer dying.]

Journal of Ingish Crystalguarded, Captain of the Trueattic Guard, 1 Obsidian

It's been a strange day, journal. The expedition to Kingdomsabre returned while I was on duty today today, less Dastot Inkbolt, and demanded to be taken to the king looking as scared as if they'd seen the Blue Serpent itself. I took one of my lads and brought 'em down to the throne room, and when the king saw us he shooed me out. I don't dare to guess what they were talking on in there, but by the time the two from the expedition came out it was well past midnight. Then the royal guard told me to come on in after them. There was the king, with a big table set up behind his throne and maps all over it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Something has been stirring up the goblins of the northeast, he said. There were reports by the few hunters and woodsmen who ventured that far that they were organizing. Some said a goblin warlord had united them, others a necromancer, and one even said a demon from Hell had come into the world and taken charge. Regardless, activity is increasing and Trueattic is completely unprepared to meet the threat. I've been given the honor of leading an expedition, taking two of my best men, a pile of Nanirasrathkogsak's precious supply of metal, and a collection of builders to this spot and secure the capital against goblin incursions.

It's not far, but the preparations to leave will likely take several days.

7 Obsidian
We leave today. I've taken two of my best speardwarves, Etur Leadseals and Solon Morninggalley. Two smiths went along, Mistem Paddlephrases and Asmel Gearedfame, to make the armor and weapons. Rounding it off are an old miner, Zasit Oilyvoices, the mason Cerol Holdgate, and myself. I've been 'encouraged' to avoid taking up arms, to ensure leadership remains intact, so it looks like I'll be picking up my old trade as a carpenter. We've packed ample food for the journey, but the farmers and other tradesmen will have to come later. Hopefully it lasts us.

Those two from the Kingdomsabre expedition slipped off in the night before, too. They'd been on leave until today, so nobody noticed they were gone until they didn't show up for their shifts. Where in Oggez's earth they got to is anybody's guess, but they were in a bad way after coming back. There's a hunter in the bar that swears up and down he saw them heading northwest, but even he admits it was dark and rainy outside. Probably saw a couple of gnomes and wants to impress everybody.

12 Obsidian
We've finally arrived at the site, and drank down the last of our travel flasks to commemorate the occasion. I'm glad I'll never have to dig that wagon out of a snowdrift again, but looking around the site things could be better.

We've brought the wagon to a stop on the north bank of a frozen over mountain brook, and wouldn't you know it took us longer to put this whole expedition together than it did to bring the wagon to our destination. If we were just on foot I'd say it wouldn't have taken even two days, but the snow made it slow going with the cart. The surveyors said there's no metal here, just like back at the capital, but at least there's plenty of trees about and they say there's enough clay in the soil here to use for ceramics. Etur says some of the trees are apricots and pears, so at least we won't go hungry and we've got some exotic drinks to look forward to when summer comes. But that's enough of that, it's time to strike the earth!

So there's that. If I remember right fortress sites aren't considered valid as far as spreading out hamlets and whatnot goes, so if Trueattic falls the civ is basically dead. The attacker of a site tends to win in worldgen battles, especially since the demons that run goblin civs tend to lead those attacks, but they also prefer to attack the nearest site, so I'll be in somewhat of a hurry to become rich enough for goblin ambush/sieges to stop them just bypassing my ineligible site. Hopefully the goblins are too weak this early on for having an all-copper militia with a limited supply of metal for replacing equipment to hinder me too much, but if that demon shows up I'm probably screwed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 12:25:51 pm by Baffler »
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2016, 01:32:27 am »

I can only wish you good luck, my friend. These are all very good updates, so y'all give yourselves a pat on tha back.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 0.43.04 NEED PLAYERS!!
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2016, 10:37:31 am »

A metalless embark? That's going to make it bit harder to establish most dangerous military for retirement.

Hm, wonder if there's sand...Though traps are useless after retiring.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2016, 05:05:00 pm »

[Retconned due to computer dying.]

Journal of Ingish Crystalguarded, Captain of the Trueattic Guard, 27 Obsidian
It's been two weeks since we arrived, and the lads and I have been working nearly nonstop to get ourselves dug in and out of the cold. I had Zasit dig a pit into the ground near the wagon with a tunnel off to the side to get us started, now he's digging an exploratory shaft to get us down to stone. While he'd been doing that, I took advantage of the frozen over stream to cut some of the willow trees. The others are hauling the logs into a pile on our side of the river while I turn them into something useful. The first thing I did with them was make up some training spears and some wooden shields for Etur and Solon, and they've already started practicing.

2 Granite

Cerol finally finished drafting up plans for the underground portion of the fortress. Most of the workshops, and the military barracks, will be west side of the first level, with the kitchens, tavern, and meeting area on the east side, plus a couple of offices. The second level's mostly bedrooms, but there's space for a small temple in the center, and a library+hospital on the far east side. Lots of stairs all around to make it easier to get from here to there. I've signed off on them and passed them on to Zasit, and he's not too happy about digging out a small fortress all by himself. I told him when migrants arrive I'll put the spare picks in their hands.

4 Slate
We've officially begun our metalworking industry. Asmel has been burning wood into charcoal while Mistem takes it and uses it to smelt the malachite we brought with us. We've got 50 boulders in total, plus another 25 of native copper and 25 of sphalerite so we can make some brass and attract some civilian attention. We also moved some beds into the barracks now that it's finished, so people can sleep inside before the rooms are all dug out.

17 Slate
Keas got into the wood stockpile today while we were moving it inside, and flew off with 3 logs before anyone could do anything about it. Vutram knows what they want with logs, but there's nothing for it now. Had the spring thaw, too. The river is still frozen, but all the snow on the ground just vanished over the course of a few hours. This is a strange place.

4 Hematite
Caught our first sight of the goblins today. Solon spotted one skulking around the wood stockpile with a big sack in one hand and a knife in the other. She chased after the creature, but it was much too fast for her. We'll have to be more wary in the future. It's made everyone on edge. It's one thing to know they're out there, and quite another to actually see one. At least we know now that we're not out here for nothing.

1 Malachite
Excavation of the first floor is finished. Furnishing and smoothing down the rough stone is another matter entirely, but to celebrate we all took the day off to idle in the new common area. I've also got my own office now, and I can get down to the business of actually running the fortress.

21 Malachite
Finally got some migrants! After a quick meet and greet in the newly designated tavern Urvad the cheesemaker is swinging a pick to help out old Zasit, Atis the thresher is setting up a plump helmet field, and Urist the woodcrafter is making up some goblets. Urist looks to be fit enough for military service too, so as soon as the smiths can put together some equipment for him I'll have him join the training rotation.

12 Galena
It's been 6 months today since we first arrived here, and I'd say overall things have gone as well as can be expected. The new guys have settled in pretty well, and excavation is going along nicely on the bedroom level. Turns out Atis is quite the musician, and she and Asmel performed the Tulips of Glittering to commemorate the occasion. Hopefully the rest of the year goes as smoothly.

This update feels a bit on the long side so I'll probably tend toward a shorter time period per update in the future, or maybe put up a shorter annual update instead of a blow by blow. I also think this may be the first time I've ever seen a snatcher show up in a fort with no children.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 12:26:07 pm by Baffler »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2016, 05:37:44 pm »

And leave rather quickly and sheepishly, no doubt.
One wheel short of a wagon

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2016, 07:44:26 pm »

Dwarves always give their children away....But I digress.

Per the OP, you should probably limit max update size to what you can do in a day.

And heh, I consider that sprawling. Wood goes neatly with ...quartzite, I think?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2016, 01:18:44 pm »

Something disastrous happened. The laptop I was playing on got borked somehow (I suspect it's a power supply issue but I'm not sure yet) and everything I did between last night and the restore point at the beginning of the month was lost.

So what do?

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2016, 02:01:21 pm »

Something disastrous happened. The laptop I was playing on got borked somehow (I suspect it's a power supply issue but I'm not sure yet) and everything I did between last night and the restore point at the beginning of the month was lost.

So what do?
I guess this works for Shieldgates too...

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2016, 04:20:15 pm »

So what do?
Why is it that during almost every single succession game, at least one computer will always, ALWAYS crash and burn?
Why?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2016, 04:42:13 pm »

So what do?
Why is it that during almost every single succession game, at least one computer will always, ALWAYS crash and burn?
Why?

It's an old laptop, almost 5 years old now, and it wasn't exactly high end even then. It is weird though, it hasn't ever acted up on me to this degree before. Anyway what I'll probably do if nobody objects, since there's nobody signed up for a turn after mine, is revert to the state of things at the end of NJW's turn and start over with something completely different tomorrow. I won't edit out those retconned updates or anything, no reason to make those disappear, and I'll turn over the save on Friday night as I would have if the computer hadn't gotten messed up.

I guess this works for Shieldgates too...

Unfortunately yeah. I'd been waiting on you to post your update before I put mine up so they'd be in chronological order in the thread, but I only got through summer and all that remains of them is the screenshots from Spring, since they were hosted on imgur.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2016, 04:44:10 pm »

So what do?
Why?
Perhaps it is the will of Armok? Or maybe the evil of the underworld can corrupt our machines and not even the Omnissiah can halt its progress?
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2016, 04:56:00 pm »

I'd like a go. And i think we should update this to 43.05, as it is way more stable.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35