Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 121755 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

Thank you so, so much. I haven't had time to take the save myself, or I would have ages ago.
I think you may have embarked on a pre existing structure for there to be hostile dwarves.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

Thank you so, so much. I haven't had time to take the save myself, or I would have ages ago.
I think you may have embarked on a pre existing structure for there to be hostile dwarves.

The hell are you talking about man, I did a few test runs and it seems the hostile dwarves are easily killed off. They don't even fight back. Seriously.

What were the creation stats? Do we have a lot of minerals or few? I'm seeing chalk and marble, so we've got that going for us, which is good.

Edit: It occurs to me using the latest version, 0.44.02, might have caused some things to be bugged. They say there's no food available, for example. There is food.

Edit: Confirmed, save is bugged. The barrels are OK, it seems the version shift wrecked stuff. Either someone else can have the save or I will have to try it again. Fixed, see bottom of post.

Maybe we can dfhack in the new items, reactions, and so on so our civilisation can at least use pedestals and display cases? I do not use dfhack and have not used it that much except in DF2010 and DF2012 when some succession games apparently HAD to use it. Also the update below is complete notwithstanding having to replace images at a later date.

Summary of what happened:

Journal of CaptainArchmage. Dwarfdate Unknown.

tl;dr: MY GOD

So I have apparently been awakened from Arcane Sleep by the dwarves of this fortress and have been transferred to an otherwise braindead host. I don't know anything about their history but I can tell you their situation is bad. Like really bad. And some people have been dumb as fuck in here, not going to be "socially correct" or anything.
Spoiler: State of the Fortress (click to show/hide)

The fortress is full of "hostile" dwarves but I'll let them do something before shit gets real. We have a fucking military dwarf and can deal with them if necessary, I'd rather not kill our own kin before we have to.

Some poor sod being chased around by a reanimating uh, body part.

Spoiler: The State of the World (click to show/hide)

Alright, time to take on my new title. I think "Recovery Wizard Commissioner" is better. I've checked through my body's physical stats and service record, I seem to have got four kills, all crundles in the caverns, where I seem to be working now. I found a map of the world lying around in what might have been the previous leaders' bed (but it's a fucking dormitory, God damn it). Our glorious fortress also appears to be called Kingdomsabre, and our civilisation is called "The Gloved Pillars" and I am the expedition leader of The Remarkable Union.

It seems all previous leadership has been annihilated, or at least lost in some disaster that has wiped out our leadership. I tried to make our swordsdwarf the new militia commander but noted there was some difficulty (out of character: bugged?) in making our hammerdwarf a member of the squad. I then reshuffled our three-dwarf squad.

Our leadership screen looks like this. I did not assign a hammerer as due to the state of emergency, we need all the dwarves we can get.

I am also no longer doing mining. We have two skilled miners.

As the glacier is the only part of the fortress that has a re-animation problem, we will move our facilities out of it. The heart of the fortress as shown isn't going to be a good place to put things. For now, I will seal off the caverns if possible, and we will construct a forward base and primary staircase.

I ordered some wheelbarrows made as whoever ran the fortress these last few years didn't make any.

I have found no evidence of any significant food production facilities, so I have ordered the digging of a larger farm in the soil. Once that is finished we can start expanding the fortress and bring ourselves prosperity, as we may have once had.

Edit: Got an idea. Maybe I can just retire and unretire the fortress.

Edit2: Well that worked. Experimentation shows I can have people doing "give food" and shit now! Unfortunately that's all for today.

Journal of CaptainArchmage, 8th Granite 52

So I figured out over the past week that the year is now 52, which means I have been in arcane sleep for a long time. We're on the 8th of Granite of the year. Unfortunately, everyone's been going crazy and I can't figure out how to store my pick. Nobody can find water to give to the dwarves in the hospital, which is reasonable since there's a dead cave crocodile and a dead dwarf in the lake it sourced from. However, we have a lot of food and nobody seems to understand it's there. I've thus scheduled downtime so we can sort this shit out, looks like we have to recalibrate reality to some new universal laws. Maybe I'll even try to find a new body in the meantime!

Spoiler: ΟΜGBUGFIX (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:08:47 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

Kingdomsabres, eh?
Kingdomsabres was an extremely early fort, built in a haunted glacier. It ended with zombies and insanity. Good times.
Thanks for updating the world, by the way, I'd prefer it to be on the latest version, thanks to all the stuff the latest version has, so in short, thank you very, very much.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kingdomsabres, eh?
Kingdomsabres was an extremely early fort, built in a haunted glacier. It ended with zombies and insanity. Good times.
Thanks for updating the world, by the way, I'd prefer it to be on the latest version, thanks to all the stuff the latest version has, so in short, thank you very, very much.

Don't ask me why, I loaded into the game and that's where I was. I will ask have asked the DFhack people now whether we can hack in the new items (pedestals). The museums and rumours should now generate as the world advances forth but there are no existing ones.

I will see about forcing mineral changes as well. Warning, it might fuck up some forts.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:46:47 am by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 0.43.05: Back in Kingdomsabres
« Reply #484 on: December 18, 2017, 09:55:27 am »

There aren't too many forts, and the old Mountainhome had no minerals anyway.
It isn't exactly what we would call inhabited anymore.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 18, 2017, 02:22:00 pm »

There aren't too many forts, and the old Mountainhome had no minerals anyway.
It isn't exactly what we would call inhabited anymore.

I've checked on DFhack and we apparently have a script that might work on the latest version of DFhack (which is a beta, FYI) to fix the minerals. Fixing the pedestals, display cases, and museums is a different matter. As I have just retired the fort to fix bugs, I will refrain from unretiring until I get a more concrete answer (read: the fort will probably likely be on a hiatus for the middle of the week and a lot of things will probably get broken).

I will do a post-retire post-upgrade post of the save on here in the meantime as a record (and backup).

UPDATE: We can fix the pets too now. That's one more thing of the list, I'll probably give the world open heart surgery and see if it works.

Basically what needs to be done to make the world DF2017-complete:
-Update the raws (copypaste).
-Fix the items for existing civs so as appropriate, they use display cases and pedestals.
-Update the pets list so Kobolds and the like have the new pets. Also fix the kobold caves if possible, if they don't already fix themselves.
Quality of Life / World Survival
-Fix mineral distribution. I will do a 100 or 300 distribution and have asked, if ready.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:06:16 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 21, 2017, 02:17:10 am »

Worships you
Thank you so much for all this, I don't have the time to actually go on my own PC anymore, thank you for doing this so much.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 22, 2017, 08:30:23 pm »

Worships you
Thank you so much for all this, I don't have the time to actually go on my own PC anymore, thank you for doing this so much.

Save, Pre-Fix: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13336

Well this is the 0.44.02 save of the world, after retiring Kingdomsabres, and before the open heart surgery to make the world DF2017 complete with everything from display cases to pets to fixing the mineral settings post-worldgen.

Do you also want me to fix language files so the pre-DF2012 changes which removed "untoward words" are reversed? Simple raws change, no hacking (but only new characters and artifacts will have those words in their names).

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 25, 2017, 05:00:51 pm »

No replies yet. I have been ill with flu the last two days leading to liquid spewing out both ends-

-so I'm going to do the responsible thing and now dfhack the new shit into the game. I think I'm going to do some light changes and hack in the new stones, at least in the local spots...

-On Mac. It's less likely to explode.

HOLD THE LINE, WE'RE GOING TO MAKE THIS SUCK-SESSION WORLD GREAT AGAIN! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Update #1: I've got the biome manipulator system to work. We'll probably have to inject the raws (this is the most dangerous bit) after a new embark is made. I was hoping to go back to Kingdomsabres, but no, we're probably going to have to go with a new fort to get everything back on track.

HASH OF FIRST ATTEMPT TO FIX THE WORLD: If this gets fucked up I can revert. I've manually made some changes to the mineral composition.

Voidlog of CaptainArchmage, Dwarfdate 8th Granite 52:

Following the need to send my claimed body into de-synchronised recovery mode, I sense a great disturbance around The Perfect Jungle, as though a great magicks have worked the land. Not to mention, the dwarven civilisation is at war with the goblins!

Additionally, the continent has no libraries! Not enough temples! Not enough taverns! What a travesty. I have made a decision, I shall establish a fortress there, which shall have a library. I send forth a powerful custodian, and build the necessary facilities for a library. Afterward, I shall possess the body of an elf, endowed with immortality, and begin delving into the mysteries of the universe.

ARMOK VULT!

I have chosen this dwarf to be the custodian. Assuming direct control.

Skill Set:
One Custodian (Chemist, Broker, Weaponsmith)
Two masons
One Carpenter and Doctor
Three Miners, so we can get this sh*t on the road.

Supplies:
HOO BOY, we have a huge budget available to us. I have my speciality "Pepe the Frog" brand parchment included on the list.

UPDATE:

File, post-biome fix (just around the new embark, it would require too much time to understand the script, and write a new function to troll through and fix the world biomes): http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13344

There will be more to do - fixing the raws themselves and injecting this into the world.

VOIDLOG OF CAPTAINARCHMAGE, DWARFDATE 23 GRANITE 52

NO FUCKING PEDESTALS YET?! FUCK NO. I'M GOING TO DO SOME MORE MAGIC -

*Calls up the ritual of FULL Update*
Code: [Select]
devel/inject-raws tool ITEM_TOOL_PEDESTAL tool ITEM_TOOL_DISPLAY_CASEAAAAAAAAND ITS WORKING!

HOWEVER, I MUST CHECK THE ANCIENT KNOWLEDGE ON INBUMING THIS WORLD WITH THE KNOW-HOW OF MAKING A DISPLAY CASE... IT IS UNCLEAR TO ME WHETHER THE RITUAL IS
Code: [Select]
devel/inject-raws reaction MAKE WOODEN DISPLAY CASE OR WHETHER THE INCANTATION IS TOO SPACED OUT

UPDATE:

IT IS DONE. AN ERROR WAS FOUND IN THE WAY THE INCANTATIONS WERE BEING HANDLED, BUT THAT HATH NOW BEEN RESOLVED. IT IS NOW POSSIBLE TO MANUFACTURE DISPLAY CASES IN THIS WORLD.

I have fully updated the file to 0.44.02, so there are no missing reactions or components. Save:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13347
I will now move the save to my PC and update the file to 0.44.03

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 01:36:43 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 26, 2017, 02:27:24 pm »

Ooh, I think this world has more than one dwarf civ; and with v44, the civs can steal artifacts from each other and ignite the Kin Wars!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 26, 2017, 04:57:21 pm »

😶
WTF did I just read...

... I am amazed, confused, and thankful at the same time.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 05:00:47 pm by Imic »
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 27, 2017, 03:29:25 am »

So.. The save is back on tracks !

Great ! ;D

Looking forward to it.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 27, 2017, 04:55:29 am »

Question to Captain Archmage.
Will you be wanting to continue your turn after you're done, and...
Oh.
Oh.
Ooooooooh yes.
Dear Armok.
I have just been hit with a scheme.
A great plan.
When the turn is iver, I have an idea.
Checkin out the save.

Well, look at that. Stupid goblins.

I repeat, Stupid goblins.

The elves are still there, somehow. Bastards.

And the humans are dying. typical.
This is what we call a Crapsack world, kids.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 05:13:17 am by Imic »
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 27, 2017, 12:04:13 pm »

I will be continuing the save and will hopefully make an update as to how the fortress survives the first, um, incident right on embark. I have a file on my PC with the population details, how many humans are left?

Also yes, I wanted a "war with the goblins" start. And that's why I chose that point.

AND SO IT BEGINS

Voidlog of CaptainArchmage, Dwarfdate 52.01.22

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Spoiler: Embark with Hematite (click to show/hide)

Now that I no longer have to cast spells to get shit to work (for you motherfuckers in the studio audience back home in the void), I get to survey our surroundings for the first time. We have stopped our wagon in this little vale here, which is blocked off at the north and east by some rather steep - but not insurmountable chalk cliffs. The river runs through a canyon from the north. The cliffs themselves are embedded with mineral inclusions and gems, notably hematite, tetrahedrite, bituminous coal, lignite, and several gem formations. This part of the world is clearly not lacking in mineral diversity, of course, this is probably why I have chosen to settle here.

In other news, I am disturbed by a flock of keas to the north east. We cannot let them overrun our defences! To arms!

I assign these positions in emergency.

This will be our Militia Commander's Squad, hopefully he can dwarf-fu these keas out of here. Strength comes from within!

Well that list is going to fill up REAL fast. Hold my beer.

Or not. A vast wave of panic ensued and a tree chase began. In order to save our anvil from raids, I build a forge out of an anvil and a pile of charcoal, which left it nailed down. We're all back at the wagon, and nothing was stolen. It seems the keas were chased off to another part of the embark, but we cannot leave our gear on the surface. I begin planning the next stage of our operation-

SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT THEY'RE BACK

Are you fucking kidding me?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 09:45:16 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 2017 : Keas everywhere.
« Reply #494 on: January 02, 2018, 05:09:42 am »

I love it. Thank you for doing all this.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35