Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 118385 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 0.43.04
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2016, 12:03:37 pm »

The tunnel outside wasn't the danger in the end, it was that damn indestructible skin bug. Just going to save whoever I can then abandon, probably. Seeing as I managed to destroy the fort in three months (or two days irl), mind if I make an adventurer to go explore the fort? I should have finished with Kingdomsabre by tomorrow, which will leave four days for other stuff.

Sure, that could be interesting. If you've got something else in mind I'm perfectly happy to wait for the end of the week.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2016, 12:31:22 pm »

Journal of Osorast

It is terrible. The scholar I appointed, Momuz Floorhours, bereft of his pick, is being killed as I write. From the tunnel above me come sickening thuds and screams, while outside two undead horses tear one another to pieces. Momuz, from the sounds of it, is putting up a hearty fight, but he can never win against the undead Urist.

Our main soldier and miner, Doren Wavewheeled, bravely distracted the undead while Momuz and another dwarf crawled away to recover and perhaps escape the unliving horror. His sacrifice shall be remembered, as he walked into battle unasked and fearless, forfeiting his life for his friends. But the Vipertrades spy, from the Mountainhome, crawled towards them, bringing the shambling Urist with him, selfishly seeking a safety that would do his shattered body not one ounce of good. It is upon him that the blame for their deaths lies.

No! I must take responsibility for this. I acted foolishly, slowly, I failed to plan, and got caught up in vainglorious dreams even as death crept in around us. This is my failure, even as it is the others' deaths. But I cannot face the Mountainhome after this. I do not have the strength to look upon the faces of the other dwarves and report the slaughter of my brethren.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Momuz has been killed, his last stand valiant but hopeless, and brutally ended, trapped between pillars of the temple and beaten mindlessly. Perhaps his god revealed in his last fleeting moments the secret of the Distracting Rainy-point. But I think not.

I shall remove the walls blocking the undead in, letting their shambling bodies wander the treacherous Frost of Spoils, to be perhaps interred with honour in years to come by some remote dwarven settlement, or to fall beneath the earth through some mighty valley or crevasse and trouble us no longer. I think that in undeath at least I may do right by them.

I am a coward. But I will not face the recollection of my shame and the horrible events that have passed, once I leave this place. Instead, I shall wrap this journal tightly, together with a few scraps written in code and scientific observations, and press it into the hands of the first dwarf I come across, then flee forever from those who might recognise me.

We should never have come out here. The horror. The horror of it.

Litast Atekathel, last survivor of Kingdomsabre.

The following collection of papers was thrust upon a migrant dwarf on the way to a founding settlement, by a bloodstained, muddied and hooded figure who ran away without saying a word. It was the object of an inquiry once it reached the Mountainhome, and a suitable warrior-academic is being selected to carry out further investigations into the irregular events that transpired in the ill-fated fort of
Kingdomsabres.

One wheel short of a wagon

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2016, 04:49:00 pm »

Wow. Next time, we should be prepared. Hopefully.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2016, 02:29:46 pm »

Personal Diary of Dastot Inkbolt, Warrior Academic of Nanirasrathkogsak, 22 Opal

Well! My first duty as a Warrior Academic; the investigation of a fallen fort, in the Distracting Rainy-point as well, that lodestone of fascination and strange happenings. As Nanirasrathkogsak is based in the mountain range in the centre of the world, getting that far up North will be some journey, but by the will of Oggez and his world of holy caverns and mountain peaks, I shall see this affair through to the finish.

Spoiler: my destination (click to show/hide)

I felt some trepidation as I leave the fortress, despite a trusty speardwarf on one side and a stalwart mace user on the other, but am ready to do my duty, whatever the cost. The scant account offered in the Kingdomsabre Journal has already piqued my interest, and I can't wait to find out what happened there for real. My first night under the open stars, and now my adventure has truly begun.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2016, 02:33:14 pm »

Ooooh... I like where this is going.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2016, 04:37:59 pm »

Sorry, can't post today due to not much time for DF. Should Gods willing reach Kingdomsabre tomorrow, be finished seven days after my turn began.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2016, 01:25:18 am »

K'.
I'm willing to give you an extra little bit just so as to finish up with this. All in favour, shout something obvious.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2016, 03:30:35 am »

Upgrading to 43.05, Y/N?!?!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2016, 05:35:24 am »

Upgrading to 43.05, Y/N?!?!
I could try, but I haven't done it before. None of my forts make it far enough to be put into the next version.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2016, 05:54:03 am »

It is as simple as copy-pasting the region folder from save folder to save folder, and then hoping the bugs don't eat you.

I'm mainly asking due the limited dfhack support for 43.05 while 43.04 was skipped over.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2016, 02:51:17 pm »

D'ya think that one of ye, because for one thing, I don't have the save.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2016, 03:05:14 pm »

Personal Diary of Dastot Inkbolt, Warrior Academic of Nanirasrathkogsak, 24 Opal

Continued travelling West, to the North of the mighty mountain range that is our home. Will reach the Distracting Rainy-Point in a matter of days. From there, it will be better to make the strenous journey over the attention-grabbing mountain, rather than trek through the freezing and warlike Jungles of Stabbing or enter the deadly undead Frost of Spoils. We will make a stopover at the research fort established there, Planchamber, after visiting the Peak for one of the grandest views on the continent.

In other news, I picked up a little camel meat. Better than tick brain or troll lung... I'm a little uncomfortable about the whole "eating sentients" thing, not that I'm prejudiced against elves or anything.

At last we see it!

25th Opal

Today we nearly ran into the horrific Frost of Spoils, distracted by a brief view of the ocean. We had gone far enough West, further than our destination, and began the ascent here or not at all.

The climb was long and ardous, but the view from here is simply incredible... it's like being at the top of the world. The Distracting Rainy-point is true to its name...rain-clouds shimmering about the fantastic slopes of the lofty mountain, the massive Spread Teeth Peaks like incredible jaws or fantastic sculptures through the mist... truly, I can see why this mountain has proven so fascinating to dwarfkind.

We camp on the mountaintop. Tomorrow, we may begin the final leg of our journey across the mountains to Kingdomsabre, and strive to find out what happened in that ill-fated place. I am nervous but resolved, ready to face the undead.

To save time, we will only stop at the Mountain fort Planchamber after our investigations. There is no gain in postponing the inevitable.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2016, 10:09:56 am »

Well, that will now be most significant event that ever happened in that region, I guess. Hail to be engraved!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2016, 02:22:31 pm »

Personal Diary of Dastot Inkbolt, Warrior Academic of Nanirasrathkogsak, 26 Opal

The morning was incredible, sun rising incandescent over the peaks. If today is the day we die, so be it. The mountain peaks and sunsets I have seen are unmatched in this world, and the journey has been tough but glorious.

Someone or something was moving about the mountains at night. We all heard it. But we know not to discuss such things.

We caught our first glimpse of Kingdomsabre in the late morning. Shrouded by dark mists and rainclouds, we still thought we saw the footprints of at least one individual nearby...

The final leg is by far the most dramatic, as we navigate inpossibly steep cliffs, deadly snowslopes and skirt an icy glacier. This is a truly inhospitable land.

Right now, we are walking down a frozen river into Kingdomsabre. If I die, I pray that this journal finds its way into safe hands. Enclosed are letters to our relatives and friends.

The investigation is about to commence.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2016, 03:14:03 pm »

Personal Diary of Dastot Inkbolt, Warrior Academic of Nanirasrathkogsak, 27 Opal

As soon as we entered, we began to find small animal body parts and things scattered about for no discernible reason.

Then we came across a wind-beaten corpse, lying out in the cold. This was extremely surprising, given that Litast Atekathel claimed to have heard each of the others die in the tunnels. It is possible that the corpse was dragged out or moved away after reanimating, but who would do such a thing? And if it were a shambling undead, how did it fall again so close to its deathplace, with not a mark on its body? We have no choice but to doubt the testimony of Litast, an unreliable narrator all told already. Why would he conceal the fact that at least one other dwarf left the tunnels? Guilt at his own cowardice? Or a darker reason?

The corpse was identified as that of the heroic Doren Wavewheeled.

Not long after that, we found a second skeleton, that of Rimtar Vipertrades, the "spy from the mountainhome". Perhaps the two were working together? Did they escape? Fake their own deaths only for the undead to catch up to them? But why would they wait till Litast was gone? Did he himself kill them after escaping? We could think of no definite answers, so continued on with heavy hearts.

Another body was found, wollen clothes scattered around the fragmented bones, tossed and inflated by the wind.

Almost at once, we located the entrance hidden under the outdoor food cache, as well as the wagon, and the various dometic supplies necesarry for a healthy settlement blown horribly hither and thither in the gale. For some reason, this sight was nearly as upsetting as the corpses. I took a second battleaxe from the wagon... a weapon they had not managed to retrieve in time, from the account.

We managed to get into the cover of the entrance. Clearly, they had not connected the drawbridge in time, or the horrific events would never have occurred. Though on reflection, I somehow feel that there was more to the tragedy than this.

We found the barricade, but decided to check the bedrooms first. So far, no undead. Their still and trade depot are still outside... either disaster struck early or they delayed too long. From the meagre supplies blown about, it appeared that they had built or created very little.

With nothing else left to do, we entered the tunnel that Litast dug to escape, down which several dwarves must have later crawled bloodied and afraid... at the end of which waited, we were sure, a band of fearsome and relentless undead. Doren's battleaxe was found here too... he must have dropped it while escaping.

The tunnel, seemingly endless, finished all too quickly. And at last we were in the bloody and soiled space where so many died only months ago. The cracks in the floor left by desperate struggles and inhuman blows were evident, the bloodstains and strips of torn flesh still lingered, dried and frozen there. For months, desperate for moisture, the dwarves had beaten on the walls in their fury, and tunnelled down into the centre of the mountain.

And there I saw it. Scratched into the freezing ice, their fingers must have been blackening with frost even as they did it, was the last testament of Momuz Floorhours, Scholar of the Distracting Rainy-Point. In it was the secret of the glorious yet treacherous - oh now, I call it treacherous - mountain range. The origin of the eternal shimmering rainclouds above its gentle vallys. And its connection with the land of creeping undead and freezing ice to the North. In his diggings for water the scholar had, I know not how but by some arcane measurements or divine inspiration, uncovered the terrible link between the two, and revelaed the nature of this tantalising - deadly - mountain.

The truth is worse than the devils of hell that walk this earth. I cannot go to Planchamber now - those that live among such evil - no, Trueattic must know. The machinations of Litast are made icily clear to me now - and how he was driven to such evil, I now know - why he killed so many and behaved in such a way. His account is spurious and fake. It is clear that he is a much more dangerous individual than he seems. And he is mad. Truly, he could not live with the knowledge and not be mad.

This matter must be made known to the Mountainhome, but for fear - deadly fear - that the warped secret of the Distracting Rainy-point should be known is too much. Some things should not be told. It is too late for me. So I must entrust this diary to my companions, and bid them go to Trueattic at once with news of my death. Only by that may they escape the terrible, maddening nature of this mountain. And they cannot know the contents of these papers. Even now, the scratched message and diagrams, which I have not shown them, are unpicking the workings of my mind - the horror! It is too awful. Find the Litast traitor - he is the key. Do not come here: to find out this terrible secret in the place where it is so powerful will be deadly. It assaults the brain, and I cannot live for long without the darkness creeping into me. You would go insane as well. Instead, find the warped, sick dwarf known as Litast, and make him talk. After that, your course should be obvious, and perhaps this evil will be stopped.

I send my companions from this place now. And me, whose mind has already felt the workings of this ungodly thing? Who has shouldered a burden too heavy for mortals to bear without breaking under the strain?

My corpse will guard this unholy place.

Trueattic Archives
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 35