Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 121622 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 0.43.04 NEED PLAYERS!!
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2016, 05:49:54 pm »

since there's nobody signed up for a turn after mine
Like I've been saying, I'm willing if it gets upgraded to 43.05. Though since Imic hasn't added me, I guess it will remain 43.04 :P

And yeah, crashes suck, but it's not like the updates were lost. Some of the most entertaining updates I've read have been eaten by crashes ^^

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2016, 08:15:37 pm »

If upgrading is as simple as moving the save to DF version 43.05 I can do that easily enough, and in fact already have. If not I'm hesitant to throw out the existing turns, map, and world history. Short though it is.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2016, 10:14:19 pm »

No, that's it for upgrading. Some version differences won't get updated raws or such like that, but 04-05 isn't like that.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2016, 01:45:50 am »

Sorry, I was not reading due to having a different timezone.
I am perfectly willing to change it to the latest version, as long as someone else can do it, since I have no idea how I would go about doing something like that.
Added Gwolfski to the list, and Fleeting frames... Could you do that, please?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I cannot, for Baffler already did it.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

I cannot, for Baffler already did it.
Oop, sorry. Missed that.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2016, 04:05:56 am »

I'd like a go. And i think we should update this to 43.05, as it is way more stable.
By the way, Gwolfski, you mist post pictures.
Please.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know, I'd like to take a crack at this, starting on a Monday, and have all week to plan and play. 
Now would be a good time, or next Monday.  Not a good time over Thanksgiving week though.

Who's next? Where's save? etc? Can I cut in while I'm in the mood? :p

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

You know, I'd like to take a crack at this, starting on a Monday, and have all week to plan and play. 
Now would be a good time, or next Monday.  Not a good time over Thanksgiving week though.

Who's next? Where's save? etc? Can I cut in while I'm in the mood? :p
You will be put at the end of the turn list, by the way. This world is showing much promise already, I must say.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Journal of Udil Deleratöl, Chief Miner of Plannedchambers, Year 2

2 Obsidian: Suicide. It's suicide! I received orders today from a courier, signed by the king himself, that I am to lead an expedition eastward into the Frost of Spoils! Some mad prospector came back a week back, Ingiz I think his name was, talking to the travelers and drunks in the tavern of an island of calm taiga in the middle of the glacier rich with minerals of all kinds. Our own mines yield gold and silver, but nothing worth making a mace out of, so he caused quite a stir. I guess someone with pull was listening too, because the site the orders mark sound a lot like what the prospector described.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I will carry out King Trammelletters' orders, if only to avoid a hammering for oathbreaking. I finished drafting a supply list for the expedition this morning, and the baron signed off on them without so much as a word. I figured he would balk at the expense of the weapons and armor at the very least. I only wonder at who else they roped into this mess.

3 Obsidian: Met the rest of the expedition today. Sarvesh, a miner like myself, Aban, a carpenter and woodcutter, Zon, a mason, Avuz, a brewer and farmhand, and two macedwarves, Litast and Kubuk. I also found a horse-cart loaded down with all the supplies I'd asked for, packed and ready to go. We leave immediately.

12 Obsidian: We finally arrived at the site, and Keng take me if it isn't exactly what the prospector described, but we'd hardly finished unhitching the horses when we caught our first sight of the undead.

Damn me for letting Litast and Kubuk walk without their equipment on! I ordered everyone inside, and we'd only just got the horses in and a ditch dug to hopefully deter the beast when it reached the wagon, when something strange happened.

It took some plump helmets and wandered off. Not even all of them. Near as we can tell it just opened up the barrel, grabbed one of the 5-cap pouches in what's left of its jaws, and shoved off westward. He can keep it for all I care, but if every half-ton pile of rot and muscle Keng sends our way can just be sent off with a couple plump helmets and a smile, I might have been worried for nothing! Only ravens are flying about now, but even with what would normally be a bad omen everyone's spirits are high, Litast and Kubuk's especially, as we get our excavation started properly.

27 Obsidian: It can't have all been good. Sarvesh dug down deep trying to make it down past the topsoil and ended up striking an aquifer. We'll be happy for it as a source of clean, and not frozen, water once we get past the damned thing, but it's the getting past that's the trick. I've been talking with him and Zon about solutions to get past, but whatever we do likely won't be figured out until after the new year. Until then, we'll just hole up here, warm up, break everything down and take it inside, and see what we can do to secure the entrance.

Tried something different rather than just doing the same embark again. Hopefully my desktop doesn't die on me too, heh. Apparently zombies still retain tags like [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER], and both dwarven civs in this world have no real access to weapons-grade metals. Keng takes the appearance of a male dwarf and is associated with night and nightmares.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 06:40:50 pm by Baffler »
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

We need to make some form of metal - mining station on the other side of the mountain, so as to send all of the produce back to the mountainhome.
Volunteers?

Fyi, you can unretire other forts and continue them, but only with the founder's permission.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bwahahahaha!

I know it can happen, but it's nonetheless amusing. I find spawned zombies to be somewhat docile compared to reanimated or husked ones, anyway ((giant) alligators are so much worse).

So Deep metal...Did you prospect for bismuthine and your goal is to build a bismuth bronze fortress? Mind, with but a single metal, this is hard, as the damnable thing can't be combined with bronze bars - only pure tin and copper bars will suit it.

And, hm, 2800 points used? This world was genned with 10k point limit, I guess.

You know what, this will come very useful for my plan of building multiple quick forts during my turn. 200 blocks for a thousand points each would speed along aboveground castles massively.

@Imic: I suggest lets not require a permission, mainly because the owner may be AWOL and time is in short supply with 1 update a day (besides, standard succession asks no permission to modify existing fort, every overseer redoing the fort is kind of a running joke :P)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

Yeesh, fine.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

So Deep metal...Did you prospect for bismuthine and your goal is to build a bismuth bronze fortress? Mind, with but a single metal, this is hard, as the damnable thing can't be combined with bronze bars - only pure tin and copper bars will suit it.

I couldn't figure out a good way to show it, but that part of the glacier has shallow metals and deep metals. The reason I embarked partway onto the taiga was wood and soil, basically.

As far as getting metals, I vaguely remember only worldgen sites contribute to a civ's portfolio. If that's the case the only thing for it is to move the game forward and let them expand into places that do. Though maybe they gain access to it when you sell them to the caravan? We'll see, I guess.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

200 blocks x 5 pts = 1000.
(5+6+7+8+9)=35 pts = Proficient Mason (Mason +5)

I would get 2 Masons at proficient and 2 blocks = 80 pts.

50 stones x 3 pts = 150 pts.  You can even go fancy with obsidian at 9 pts each stone.
50 stones + Mason = 200 blocks.  2 Masons can crank out blocks fast enough for the 5 construction workers.

I like 5x5 room towers; at least 2z high with a 3z roof.
But I've done the odd 3 x 4 to roof the wagon and have stair+hatch exit down to the other side of the wall; much faster than having raising bridges for security.

It's also a matter of luck of getting time to hide on day 1 embark; even if flying corpses are around.
Giant x undead are harder; but others can be handled by a couple of

2 Mason +5, Hammer+3, 1 Dodger, 1 Discipline. Now you have armed civilians.

2 Axe dwarfs + 5, 1 Dodger, 1 Discipline which gives them +3 for other skills (Cook, Brew, Grower, Butcher, Tanner).  More armed citizens.   

2 Miners at +5 Miner, 3 Dodger, 1 Discipline can give them +1 for other skills like Appraiser, and the other one a Mayor candidate.
That leaves 1 Doctor with +3 Weapon, 1 Dodger, 1 Discipline.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 35