Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 118405 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

True on 5 construction workers, but the nice thing is that you don't have to. No need to wait for production to designate.

Though depends on scale. Could do mix and match.

I find lot of undead seem to be get slaughtered by just "Play Now!" team with no overseer support. I fear the alligators more. As far as military skills go, probably going to  give my miners teacher 5 shield user/biter 5, tbh.

What social skill do you pick for locking in a mayor/expedition leader?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For Mayor, I do Persuader; Consoler and Pacifier if I skip Dodger+Discipline. 

Biters and Shield Users are fun.  Early deaths usually comes when day 1 embark has not picked up equipment before undead scatters everyone.

I've also seen lucky neck scratches from Giant x corpses that become deadly.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Journal of Udil Deleratöl, Expedition Leader of Mistymirrors, Year 3

The pages of the book have suffered a good deal of water damage, and many pages are difficult to read.

2 Granite: The new year's celebrations are over, so it's time to get down to business. We all agreed it's best to try to pierce the aquifer somewhere inside of the hill we've taken up in, so to that end we've dug out a little room off to the side and taken out the roof. The idea is to dig a shaft down to the aquifer, let it freeze, then clear away the ice and install a retaining wall around a stairwell. Once we're through, we put the roof back in to stop anything from dropping in on us from above. There's no telling how long all that's gonna take, so me and Sarvesh dug out some little side rooms to sleep in and let Avuz start growing some plump helmets.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

9 Granite: We've pierced the aquifer, before we'd even furnished the temporary quarters too. Usir has been kind to us, and the aquifer was only a couple meters deep on the taiga side. It may be deeper on the glacier's side, so we're going to dig some exploratory tunnels before we plan any larger-scale digging. While we're doing that Aban is chopping wood so we can roof over the shaft.

18 Granite: Our exploration into the strata below the glacier itself discovered a vein of limonite! Unfortunately, it's surrounded by aquifer and cannot be safely excavated. We've started digging down lower, hoping to find someplace dry, so we can start sending iron back to Plannedchambers. I remain cautiously optimistic.

1 Slate: The aquifer seems to stretch all the way through the sedimentary layer, which means we're not likely to get much iron out of this site. What we do collect will be limited to the small areas of ore that have shifted into the chalk layer below the taiga. We'll leave space along the edge of the aquifer so we can dig for those veins without disrupting the fortress proper. I also had Litast and Zon take the horses outside to graze. It's dangerous, but still all I see is ravens they're starting to look pretty lean.

24 Slate: I nearly died today. Sarvesh and I were digging along the edge of the aquifer, and Aban was hauling a boulder up to the stockpile, when water started leaking out from behind my pick and Sarvesh's at almost the same time. The water came on faster than I've ever seen, and the lot of us were swept along to the lower levels of the excavation by the water. The space down there was more open, but the way above us was completely blocked off by the water.

It was up to our waists when I had the idea to try digging out and up. We might have run into more aquifer, but it was worth the shot. I got out that way, but Sarvesh and Aban ended up on the other side of the room. With the stairs dug on the edge of the room there was nothing I could do but watch, and thank all the Gods they made it. I'm halting mining in that section to prevent another accident, and if we try that in another spot in the future we'll have to be much more careful.

6 Felsite: We set up some furnaces today to make charcoal and smelt what ore we've collected, and I've set Litast and Kubuk on it to give them something to do. The way I look at it we've got 128 bars of iron coming to us from what we've collected. More than enough for our use, but if we want to justify this expedition we're going to have to collect a lot more to send back to Plannedchamber.

We also got our first keg of Mistymirrors dwarven wine made up today, and it's damn good despite Avuz' complaining about "soil quality" and "climate." He did insist that we leave a barrel of the stuff, along with some of the plump helmets, outside the door a good distance away to ward off the... wildlife. It made good sense, so out there it sits. I doubt it was necessary, but I marked them as forbidden to make sure nobody goes out to get one.

Not much to report for this one. Usir takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with fishing, fish, hunting, and water.

Edit: Fixed images.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 07:35:02 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heh. Digging beneath an aquifer - a tale of me flooding my dwarves, there it is.

But even with aquifers in sedimentary layers, what you can extract from even average cases is still so much better than best of metamorphic layer >_> Sedimentary OP.

Are you going to do a cavern drain to extract the limonite in conglomerate? I recall one neat case I had of 4z soil and then stone aquifer, with cavern 5z from surface. Could easily did out the areas near the cavern ceiling with up/down stairs, though the flooding eventually pushed back the miner and overwhelmed the lowest map edge for a small lake.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question: If you collapse a section of aquifer tiles below, do they remain aquifers?

I know that cave-in plug in method, the aquifer tiles are dug out and replaced with dirt from above. 

But I'm thinking dropping the aquifer tile(s) further down below for it to be a water source (or drain)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, this is stone, not dirt, so might behave differently. Dunno.

But when I start thinking about it, I can't see how it could be easier to do than just stair-pierce upwards and smooth the outer edges/dig away aquifer tiles in center and use map-edge/portable drains for drainage and aquifer from above for water source as needed.

The simplest way to test that comes to mind is to dig a 3x3 up/down with center untouched upwards, smooth outer edges of aquifer, and then channel stairs downwards layer by layer, till the central pillar has no support.

E: Ran a quick test with 2z soil aquifer (had to do 5x5 pierce since no smoothing). I have now 4z white sand pillar in caverns that doesn't emit water, even when being dug.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:40:55 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

1 Hematite: Summer arrived on the calendar today, and it marks the warmest time we're ever going to get around here. Looking out the front door I can see wild plants starting to show from under the snow, mostly cranberries and potato plants. I don't want to sound like an elf, but looking out from our green, flowery hill over the glacier, I could almost call it beautiful.

Anyway, me and Sarvesh have been digging out proper rooms for ourselves down in the stone layers. Nothing too fancy, but it's not right for dwarves to live and work in dirt rooms. We've got a pile for wood and stone, some workshops, a food stockpile and pub, and a couple of bunkhouses planned.

4 Hematite: Had a pair of kobolds of all things try to get through our door today. Zon heard the horses making a ruckus, and the macedwarves went out to make sure there wasn't any undead abomination spooking them. They say the two of them took off as soon as they opened the door, but I have to wonder how the little creatures made it all the way out here.

21 Hematite: I managed to convince Litast to go out and pick some cranberries for Avuz, since there's still nothing moving but us and the ravens, so we can have something to drink other than plump helmet wine. He complained about going out in the cold, but of the lot of us he's the best equipped by far to do anything on the surface. I promised him the first drink of the cranberry wine.

1 Malachite: Some migrants showed up today, and quite a lot of them too. We got a miner, whose name is also Sarvesh, a carpenter, a few craftsmen, a farmer, and for some reason, a fisherman. The farmer, Vabok, brought along his wife, a jeweler called Dastot, and their two year old son Stukos. He's an energetic little fella, and wise beyond his years too. Everyone's already taken a liking to him, but I worry about taking one so young on such a dangerous journey. There are 15 of us now.

12 Malachite: More good news. Sarvesh and I (the new one. I'm just gonna call him Cilob) struck galena while we were digging exploratory tunnels trying to find other ores below the aquifer. It's not as valuable as the limonite, but it's hardly useless and it'll be a lot safer to mine.

27 Malachite: One of the new migrants told me today that he hasn't seen his pet peacock in a week. I don't recall ever seeing a peacock around here, but I don't see why he'd lie about something like that and had Kubuk look around for it. He didn't find anything, and considering where we are I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

13 Galena: Obok, the new carpenter, was out cutting wood when he ran into the fort in a hurry looking like Keng himself was on his tail. Avuz, Nesteth with him, managed to calm the poor lad down enough with a cup of cranberry wine to get the story out of him, but I almost wish he hadn't. Obok told of a big cloud of greenish dust, three times his height and as wide as he could see, blowing westward from the glacier across the taiga to the north. a herd of deer were caught in its path, and went mad with a blind rage. They three that had been caught chased after the one that hadn't with unbelievable speed and laid into it with everything they had. all four of them screaming like mad until the cloud drifted over them again and it all fell silent.

The macedwarves poked their heads out for a look, and they say all four of them are shambling their way toward the fortress just like the polar bear last winter did, and that they've spread the green dust spread all around, wicking off their bodies. We've brought the horses inside. I pray the door holds, but if it doesn't we've all taken up what arms we can while Cilob does what he can to turn the iron we've got into clubs and breastplates. Isram protect us, we won't go down without a fight.

Ending on a cliffhanger to manage length. Things have become very fun very fast. Less pictures and more text this time, because this was honestly a pretty boring couple of months apart from that last bit and noticing that unlike others in his culture, Udil Deleratöl has a deep respect for animals, plants, and the natural world. Nesteth Taupemaker the Learned Silkiness takes the form of a male dwarf and is associated with persuasion and speech. Isram takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with peace.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 11:09:43 pm by Baffler »
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

Yer haff wan day left, unless the others in line are willing to let you continue for a little bit.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

15 Galena: The deer reached us while we were bringing the horses safely inside. I was a fool, and ordered that we should meet them in battle. Undead or no, all 14 of us were surely more than a match for them, I thought. This is the price of my folly.

We met them, and fought bravely, but the dust clung to the corpses, and those of us who touched them were turned almost immediately. Fath, Vabok, Dishmab, Dastot, Avuz, Zon, and Aban were turned before we realized what was happening and fled back into the fortress. I can hear the foul creatures out there now fighting with our own people, tearing into each other as madly as they had while they were still living, and the horses have bolted off into the taiga. The only solace is that the fight happened off of the glacier where even the severed limbs would rise again.

17 Galena: The sounds of fighting have died out. Cilob stuck his head out the door to find that only Aban, battered but whole and axe still in hand; and Dastot's reanimated body, missing her head and left foot, were left out there. Dastot was just outside the door, while Aban charged around after the still-living horse. We let Dastot in, and Obok put her to her final rest.

That just leaves Aban. She's run down the horse, and beheaded it in a single stroke with that axe of hers. I am terrified, but we're no match for her with only our iron clubs. I'm going to have to send out the macedwarves. She at least seems to have lost her covering of dust.

19 Galena: Litast and Kubuk have done all the preparing they can, and are prepared to meet Aban the monster. Litast led the charge, while Obok held the door open.

Before Kubuk could even reach the monster, Litast was knocked on the ground by the thing's furious charge. She swung her mace in an attempt to disarm the creature, but caught it at the elbow instead and the blow hardly even connected. The axe came down, first on her chest knocking the wind out of her, then on her neck. Enraged, Kubuk smashed the creature's left leg with his mace, sending it straight to the ground. It retaliated, severing Kubuk's foot, and against all reason managed to stand up again. It parried Kubuk's next strike, and with a look in its eye as black as coal brought down its axe on Kubuk's other foot, then on his neck. Obok bolted, and I don't know what happened next, but I do know that the fool left the door open.

His foolishness lasted up until his death when in his panic he fled, dragging little Stukos behind him, into a side room rather than down the shaft to safety. Etur did his best to delay it, but the monster cut him down with hardly a second thought. In his last moments, Obok locked the door to the room behind it, dooming himself and Stukos, but saving the lives of those of us remaining. Only myself, Sarvesh, Cilob, and the fisherdwarf Degel are still alive. We will end this creature.

22 Galena: Our plan was set. We would excavate the edges of the room the monster was trapped in, and bring the ceiling down on its head. But that isn't what happened. Cilob, the fool, struck the earth directly next to my feet and brought the whole area around me down, into the room. I took to my feel quickly, just in time to meet the monster's charge.

It didn't stand a chance. In my rage, I tore the creature apart with my pick just as I would a stone before it could even react. I, or Sarvesh, or Cilob, any of us could have stopped this before it even began. A week ago I only thought I was a fool. Perhaps out of my depth. I know now that I am far worse than a fool. Eleven good dwarves lie dead because of my own cowardice and arrogance. Cilob and Degel mock me, calling me the "slayer of the feared Aban Abaneshon, the Harmonious Hatchets!" Sarvesh, my good friend, is only silent.

I've officially turned over the administration of the expedition, such as it is, to him. We still cannot leave this place, so I've asked that I remain a miner and nothing more. Zuden grant he do a better job than I did.

So it ends, resigning in disgrace. None of this was planned in advance, it really was just a combination of massive bad luck, not realizing the combat value of skilled miners, and my own underestimation of the danger the husks presented, and Udil getting undermined that brought Mistymirrors down. Zuden takes the form of a male dwarf and is associated with jewels and fortresses.

Download Link.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 11:33:24 am by Baffler »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The spring is beautiful...

Okay maybe not. But it could be!

Kobolds opening the doors...Could be dangerous with undead out there. And then they might be dusted, like in Roomcarnage.

-Migrants. Cute.

Deer husks, less cute. Dem hoofs.

- ahahaha it is one punch dust.

- Axedwarves are bit better if not reanimating. But, well...

- Yay, monarch butterfly? In spirit?

Terrific.

- Cave-in drap, well, that's guaranteed to kill it...Nope?

So easily broken... This does not scare me.

- Melty Sky always swears by skilled miners for most dangerous all-around combatants.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

Wow.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

- Yay, monarch butterfly? In spirit?

Terrific.

Yeah, it was a barrel of cranberry wine. I'm not entirely sure how it ended up in the doorway but I suspect one of the macedwarves was carrying it around, like military dwarves tend to do for some reason, and dropped it when they spotted zombie Aban.

Anyway, hopefully Gwolfski manages to break the 'dead before the end of the first year' streak we're on, heh. The world will only get more interesting as the year ticks forward and the place becomes more populated.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

We need to start reclaiming/ unretiring old sites, once we've set up enough.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

So, is it possible to take a turn and only play "what I want ?"
Like Adventurers only or something like that ?

I guess, you can put me on the turn list, but I probably won't upload daily.
I tend to play a lot for several days straight, and upload a big log, so maybe my turn will be 4 days long, at max.

Being free to do whatever with a world is interresting :)
(ok, whatever meaning "don't screw up others' things, unless they agree", of course)
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

So, is it possible to take a turn and only play "what I want ?"
Like Adventurers only or something like that ?

I guess, you can put me on the turn list, but I probably won't upload daily.
I tend to play a lot for several days straight, and upload a big log, so maybe my turn will be 4 days long, at max.

Being free to do whatever with a world is interresting :)
(ok, whatever meaning "don't screw up others' things, unless they agree", of course)
For your turn, the world is yours to do whatever you want with. Have fun adventuring. And yes, no screwing people over unless they give their consent.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 35