Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 122471 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

As a hypothetical question, how could you possibly screw over Baffler or NJW400, anyway?

@Spriggans: That's style of "play several days and upload at once when completed" is what I usually do as well. Hehe, my usual designations aren't done and completed in a day. However, I will try to change it up this time to follow the rules.

Speaking of which, it has been two days, Gwolfski *pokes*

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

Gwolfski is doing other things.
NEXT!!!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Prologue

Starting from Baffler's save, Teyo Ewè world...And for this turn, I'll be using moki's biolinum 14x14 to spread awareness of it. This doesn't modify the save in any way.

Interestingly, there's two dwarven civilizations. So if one falls, it isn't all over. They're all in range of gobins, however. So far, both have been used.

Running exportlegends....Segfault. No matter, vanilla export then.

Wow, that's quite the mineral scarcity. These seem like slight variation on default settings (early end year).

439 Dwarves
   183 Humans
   290 Elves
   670 Goblins
   229 Kobolds
And then there's what, 10 goblin sites?

...Well. Not surprising with year 2. I was nonetheless surprised, but not surprising. At this scale, small assassin teams could wipe out the goblin civilizations. Doesn't feel very epic when they have only 200 members, but hey.

One of elven civs war with 1 of human civs.

The humans were the aggressor, attacking the major forest retreat Savestreams in the northern gulf.

In late winter of 2, The Stoked Confederation attacked The Violent Satins of The Robust Fang at Savestreams
In early spring of 3, The Stoked Confederation attacked The Violent Satins of The Robust Fang at Savestreams
In early spring of 3, The Stoked Confederation attacked The Violent Satins of The Robust Fang at Savestreams
In late spring of 3, The Stoked Confederation attacked The Violent Satins of The Robust Fang at Savestreams
In midsummer of 3, The Stoked Confederation attacked The Violent Satins of The Robust Fang at Savestreams

Surely....Dwarves should intervene in such a war of aggression?

Maybe?

Eh, don't have relations with either of them. However, were they to get involved,

Granted, such an act might be unwise with unsecured mountainhome and warlike neighbours.

...Nonetheless, for friendly relations a road from FestiveSteam of the realm of Planks to Hallflanks of The Glowed Pillars might be best.

Spoiler: Hallflanks (click to show/hide)

Granted, straight line could connect town to a forest retreat near the gulf, for good or ill of intervening in the war.

Well, I guess I'll follow safety before trade, and trade above war.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

On Teyo Ewe - The World of Enchantments

Chapter One - About the World

Written by Spriggans - Keeper of Secrets
Year 3

It has now been three years since Armok The Almighty awoke us.
None of us really know how it happened, but, without any warning, life sprung, time was unfrozen, and we were there.
Every single one of us - dwarves, goblins, humans, kobolds, all the beasts and creatures of the wilderness, and the elves - have wandered the World since then.

I have been appointed to the role of Keeper of Secrets. I'm the one responsible for keeping up to date what happens in the World of Enchantments. I'm also in charge of protecting this knowledge, so that it is not used wrongly.

From the moment I woke up, I sent my spies all across the wilderness to gather information. They came back with rich tales of our World, so I can relate that in details in this book.
With each passing day, my spies came to me with more unnerving news : some have spotted unnatural creatures, others relate of bloody rituals occuring far in the North.
I intend to add more and more as our World gets older, but for now I will stick to the basics, so this chapter will be about Geography and basic Diplomacy only.

Let's start with the beginning.
The World of Enchantments spans a 2500 km² area. My spies have layed it out like this :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From an artist's perspective, the World looks like that :

Or, if - like me - you like schematic representations more :

We have numbered the different civilized sites, and - as of now - the differents races pops are as follows :
Please note that kobolds and goblins exact numbers are not known, as these civilizations don't record births, and are hostile to dwarves. Many of my spies died trying to number them, thus the inaccuracies.

There are 12 civilizations :
  • 2 dwarven : the Northern dwarves are the "Gloved Pillars". The Southern dwarves are the "Rhyming Occult-Palisade"
  • 3 goblins
  • 3 elven
  • 2 humans
  • 2 kobolds

On a World-wide view, the sites civilizations are like this :

I would like to point out some facts about this world :

There is one huge North-South chain of mountains slightly to the East : I named it the Dabbling Horn. It has 9 peaks.
Since there is a little gap, allowing access to the East, in the Northern part of the chains, we call differently the Northern part of the Dabbling Horn : we call it the Distracting Rainy-Point.
Dwarves live in the mountains.
Spoiler: The chain of mountains (click to show/hide)

We can divide the World of Enchantments into three parts.
The main continent we call The Land of Weathering.
There are two islands far to the South : to the East is The Reticent Continent. It bears goblins, and can be accessed crossing a little isthmus, which is roughly 300 meters wide.
The Western island is still unexplored but can be seen from afar, we call it The Steppes Of Glowing. Who knows what lies there ?

The Western part of The Land of Weathering, as seperated by the Dabbling Horn, is the living ground of all the elves and humans.
Here they can live in harmony with Nature and what not, I guess...
The goblins are all located far from the West, so Humans and Elves can developp their cultures peacefully.
Spoiler: West of the World (click to show/hide)

Way up North, there is an haunted Glacier. I can't believe what my spies told me about this place... But disturbing wispers of thralls and frost creatures, relentlessly hunting their preys in the stifling clouds of the never-ending polar night, is a recurring fact.
The place is called the Frost of Spoils, and I have chills in my neck writting these lines and imagining what unnatural events happen there.
The few spies I sent there are now highly stressed out, and don't want to come out no more.
For reasons I can't understand, the Northern civilization of dwarves settled their capital close to the Glacier, within the Distracting Rainy-Point.
An overseer decided to settle his outpost in the Frost of Spoils, but it did not turned out well, this outpost was KingdomsSabre, and is now in ruins...
Another outpost, MistyMirrors has a population of 4...
Spoiler: Northern glaciers (click to show/hide)

In the middle of the World of Enchantments are the Righteous Waters.
These waters are blessed.
The spies I sent there came back with smiles on their faces. They were all happy.
Though some of them went a little farer South, into the Marsh of Squirming - another haunted place. These spies behaved like the spies I spent all the way North, and were at the verge of insanity, when they talked to me.
Spoiler: Middle of the World (click to show/hide)

The World is yet to have any decent library. There is currently no way to store Knowledge.
As Keeper of Secrets, it is my duty to establish the most notorious library there is, and to store and protect the secrets of the World of Enchantments.
I will establish this place a little later, when the stars will be right, and when my spies have found a good site.
I need more scholars to join me and help me protect the World's secrets.

For now, I'll keep this book updated and write other chapters.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:38:46 pm by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

I would like to keep relations with the Humans peaceful, since I like that Hamlet you pointed out for some reason. We could build an outpost to attack the elves at some point, though. Damn treehuggers...
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

What do we care if the humans and elves want to kill each other when there's an actual threat right on our doorstep? All three goblin civs have demon leaders, and they tend to lead battles, so if they go on the war path there's not really much anyone can do to stop them in my experience.

Also the only dwarven sites other than the capitals; Hallflanks, Mistymirrors, and Plainmanor, are retired PC fortresses rather than worldgen sites. Does anyone know what kind of difference that makes, worldgen wise? Will their populations grow? Will hillocks and deep sites spread around them like a worldgen fortress? What about access to metals? Experimentation is needed.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Safety

What is safety?

"The protection of a queen, the cradle of civilization?"

Spoiler: Leto (click to show/hide)

"Wealth and spread?

"Being unknown and unattractive?"

Uvash Tradejudge did worry. During this point in her rule, his predecessor had already been assassinated. Trueattic may be home, but it was porous in defence.

During one of his nightmares, he woke up in fright.

"Would be that I could join Vutram among the stars, on the moon...."

But moon was too distant.

However.

Maybe going far away was the key.

With this in mind, an order was set to build an isolated satellite colony in souther tropical seas on 8th Limestone.

Three waves, and then test of time. Safety must be proven.
[POPULATION_CAP:19]

(there's also 7 dogs and 5 turkeys)

Here, let us embark upon the Moon-home of HopefulChildren.

Wonder if sea will carry gear away?

Yeah, not much. Tried to get DT working, but failed AND lost my writeups >_> So posting what I have

@Humans/elves: Well, they're in range of the mountain-home, but it's primarily about couping advantage?

That said, the northern dwarf civ mountainhome is only in range of goblins if the retired fortress with 4 dwarves is conquered.

Metal-wise, I definitely don't have option to take iron as The Rhyming Occult-Palisade.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Humm :) Building an isolated fortress for dwarves posterity. That way, we'll always have some alive.
Good go, sir.

Metal-wise, I definitely don't have option to take iron as The Rhyming Occult-Palisade.
If we trade iron to the mountainhome, will the next embark have access to it ?

Btw, as self proclaimed Keeper of Secrets, I've edited my first post @page 1 to contain the different logs of overseers.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

Thank you for that, Spriggans. I was trying in vain to fit your wuote into a spiiler. That ended well...
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Upon arrival, the wagon was found to be little too close to the ocean shore. With them lapping at dwarven feet, the plan for moon home was drawn on shrubland proper.

That is not to say that the wagon location would be abandoned anytime soon. With so much stuff inside, it would have to be a temporary home, until things are dug out.

Still, digging would force a wait. Till then, gathering plants - and getting some minor jobs done around the wagon was a must

Perhaps most prudently, a trade depot would need to be elected, as caravan was probably due in few days.

*two weeks later*

With an ocean-shore barrier. the goods are quickly transported belowground.

But now, where's the caravan? No matter. There's enough resources here to progress without them.

Though fuel is lacking.

Luckily, after a while of training period, the miners sent to lay trackwork for magma shops found some gold as well.

*month passes*

Finally, one of the teachers proceeds to enter the room of prospective glory...or doom, while other tunnels toward the deeps.

At the same time, embark team's permanent lodgings are taking on a sketch of their future appearance.

All workshops in this fortress will be using malachite blocks if able :)

Spriggans: I hope so, though for it to be not drained completely there will have to be non-dwarven visitors I think?

At least, should be secure....Until it is made less secure. The goblins are juuuust out of reach, after all.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

If you wish to accept dorfing in your fort, name a dwarf Gelrand, and give him the custom proffession of "Outpost Diplomat"

Due to the... Issues that arose in Kingdomsabres, the mountainhome has decided tosend Outpost diplomats to most new forts so as to keep an eye on new outposts.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Who is Gerland?

Eh, describe their personality; if I find someone that matches I'll give them that as profession or sth (nicknames already used up for professions). (Though tbh I typically have verging on negative care of dwarfing that ignores actual dwarf personality.)

That said, since I'm doing rather bare-bones updates to maintain the pace (as compared to over 3 weeks in Deathgame), I might not notice (heck, I even ditch efficiency for designations so simple I haven't gotten lost once painting them).
No expansive relationship and personality sheets this time, no intricate plot, no careful hand-picking here.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

Um... I don't mind. Just name a male dwarf Gelrand, and give him the custom profession of "Outpost diplomat". Make his actual job whatever is needed.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

5th Opal: Bait emerged from the room, starving, dehydrated, drowsy, but a legendary dodger in their own right.

16th Opal: Getting worried about the lack of migrants as well. Will I get them in spring?

I guess I should arrange few marriages.

North room, Erudite and Bridget get to chill.

South room, Inside Cut and Woody get to meet.

Leaving Bait, Shield, Solar free....Two military/miners and a Potter/Herbalist/Armorsmith.

There's lack of animals as well. I think this horseshoe crab has been chilling here since embark, barely moving:

Well, they'll be useful,

but still. Eeriely peaceful, compared to the 3+ biome untamed embarks I'm used to.

...But still, they died after less than two pages >_>

In brighter news, magma-cart loading tracks was completed....

Actual magma was found at 118z-levels below embark....This place has some stretched caverns.

I briefly puzzled on how to guarantee safety. Grates are usual, but I'm not sure magma will rise through the grate as desired. Unless I use a bucket brigade...

In the end, decided to go with statues blocking.

I think building destroyers shouldn't be able to reach them. Of course, creatures can still wander in, I suppose - I hope they don't.

...*realizes that should work down there too*

*screws up designations*

Okay, this time it turns, but it didn't turn before?....Eh.

28th Obsidian is pretty late to get magma up, but up it goes.

14th Malachite:

Finally, some migrants arrived, after ten months!

5 dwarfs, none of them anythings special....Though, everyone has novice swimmer. Just how did they come here?

And I guess that's it? No visitors, either.

Well, at least some haulers are good for all that wood.

...I think after 10 months of swimming, they ought to have more skill. Also, no odd names.

And the caravan reports world is same as ever, so that's good.

Speaking of which, this civ has only low boots to order, and no books with this caravan :(

Ended up mostly buying food and steel and hospital supplies.

Huh. It is on the wiki, but I had forgotten:

Imic: Request unclear, multiple male dwarves match.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Is any of your migrants Litast Atekathel (Borering in english) ? We must find him...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35