Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 118402 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

I don't mind what job he has, or what personal traits he has. We good?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Is any of your migrants Litast Atekathel (Borering in english) ? We must find him...

He is, near as I can tell, still hiding out at a cave, called Scorndank or something like that. Not sure where it is, or how he'll behave if confronted by an adventurer, but he's almost certainly on his own out there. I also checked out of curiosity, and apparently the two companions NJW brought to Kingdomsabre are still hanging out there. Guarding the secret, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:29:59 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Yes. And Litast is married apparently. He came back to TrueAttic in secret, married (by force ?) a female dwarf, and went in the cave Scorndank afterwards.

If one wants to know what happened, one should start finding his wife and start questionning...

Why did Litast marry ? Probably for a dark ritual he will accomplish later, sacrificing his wife...
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

We need some kind of over arching plot.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 0.43.05: And so, the wheel of time makes it's course...
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2016, 12:47:35 pm »

For Trading, two magma kilns and 1 for clay collection were quickly set up.

Magma carts are convenient, but...I'm going to tear down that depot.

I guess the kilns will remain as mark of the times. And for now, I'll still use them.

On that note, I learned that I forgot to forbid cassiterite and that both ash and tin glazed things are colored teal.

(Shame you can't glaze blocks - would give source of teal for most things without needing tin.)

And....I had a wagon blow up 1 tile from trade depot. >_>

Oh well. Next one arrived fine, though. And on the bright side, trained up a glazer, too :)

(Note: The jobs are done extremely fast - I single-stepped through a job and it took 73 steps. This leaves the expert potter creating crafts in the dust.)

Inethlimul continues to chase animals for desired skills.

Some animals are not suitable for pillow fights, though. Poisonous and hoofed creatures can be dangerous, I think.

Yay archery?

A thought. Werebeasts shouldn't reach, shouldn't even exist....But in case they do, the moon hides in a floodgate cloud.
Won't stop bigger things nor distrurb the wildlife, but it'll obscure it briefly enough.

Of  course, this sort of thing is usually made of rock. No matter, have legendary carpenter now :)

6th slate: Some migrants? Hm, neat but odd. What's up with that, after not getting migrants earlier?

Of course, they're all novice swimmers. And I do mean all of them. Not much, though it provided a nice metalsmith. Got a farmer, I guess I might plant some seeds now :)

Though I'm getting a lot High masters+. Granted, woodcutter is rather pointless skill to have for one, but they brought a nice steel battle axe nonetheless.

...In a bit, again exactly 5 migrants. Swimmers. And then two more, novice swimmers again.

All of them, novice swimmers. Is this because I embarked on island?

- - - - - - - -
26th Galena, 6:

What took you so long? Marriage and honeymoon was years ago!

It's a start, I suppose.

I must say, this Moonhome Fortress reminds me of slade spires, now that it is taking shape.

Of course, there have been a few planning mistakes

Easy there...

No problems...

Spoiler: The Outrageous Siege (click to show/hide)

The spinning goblin army strikes HopefulChildren right in the nobles, jamming the queen through expedition leader, jamming the expedition leader through milita commander and blowing apart the manager!

TRAGEDY IN THE KINGDOM

And the diplomat, too!

Mandates should be hopefully easy. You can't demand diamonds, right?

That leaves just rings.

- - - - - -

As it is now a queendom again, I guess....It is 17th Sandstone, 5, so Uvash Tradejudge....

Did the fortress remain?
Quote from: 17th Sandstone pop
11: Atolendok, "Trueattic", fortress
   Owner: The Dagger of Confidence, dwarves
   Parent Civ: The Rhyming Occult-Palisade, dwarves
   191 dwarves

But after they became queen....

Spoiler: "15th Limestone pop" (click to show/hide)

Though at least the goblins were greatly weakened.
Quote from: 14: Snodubusnar, "Plaguejuice", dark fortress on 17th Sandstone
   Owner: The Mischievous Torments, goblins
   Parent Civ: The Simple Malice, goblins
   lady: Ngerxung Punchstole, goblin
   13 goblins
   1 gila monster demon
   10 trolls
   8 beak dogs

With the mountainhome gone, the goblins crossed the narrow pass to attack the player fortress Plainmanor on the other side

Also, they're going to need better rooms, and I'm going to need few more nobles.

@Spriggans: Nope. Odd skill setups, though.

@Imic: Eeeh~. Like I said, I dislike ignoring dwarven personalities when story depends on them, and then there's the matter of duplication - first with outpost liasion, and then for every migrant. At least only 1 Andreus was alive at time in BF, here you could get an entire migrant wave of Gelrand to go with the one already dorfed.

Well, plot...Up to players. Maybe something with counter-attacking the goblins? With so little prep and time, I don't brother with much story-weaving here, as you can notice.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:49:20 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 0.43.05: And so, the wheel of time makes it's course...
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2016, 01:32:19 pm »

Questions:
If I were to create an outpost in a year's time; what should be the minimal amenities for the outpost/village given the flexibility of embark points (items, resources and skills allocations)?

I am thinking of a few embark scenarios with 1 year goals, to be retired and to create a new team of 7 to do another scenario / goal.

For example,
Get 2 miners full time dig to legendary from day 1, then go full military training.
Get 2 military start training with +5 in weapon skills from day 1. 
1 Armorsmith, 1 Weaponsmith, 1 Furnace operator. 
Embark with food and drinks to last a year.
If I retire the outpost, I wonder if they will just die because I did not make at least a farm plot.

Anyway, I was thinking of say embark a year each night from Monday to Thursday; so that's at least 4 small sites with legendary miners, decent military, and skilled smiths; maybe make some masons and mechanics in some outposts.

The idea is by the weekend; commit to one more embark for a longer term play, and hope that those previous outposts will migrate to the latest fort.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2016, 04:07:40 pm »

@Fleeting Frames : How's the other Dwarven civ ? The gloves something, from the North ? Are they getting destroyed by the Northern gobos ?

At least, the new Queen will be safe on Moon Island, good call.
We must prepare a grand coup against the goblins ! We must train an assassin dwarf and slay that gila monstrer demon who leads them !
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 04:13:20 pm by Spriggans »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2016, 03:55:07 am »

I agree. The toblin scum must die! We must build a new mountainhome to defend against them! FOR THE RHYMING - OCULT PALISADE!!!!!
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2016, 10:57:47 am »

Well, that's serendipitious, for the road to mountainhome is my goal as well - sadly, I don't think I can reach it in the time given, not without raising population cap.

Outpost liason gave a stepping stone. While I did have two dwarves with no item preferences, I decided to elevate Minkot Oslonoram - for they like rings, going lockstep with the queen.

(ended up regretting it - I missed them liking quivers as well)

Also, Apparently other people change expedition leaders too:

Though there are less happy news too.

Now, looking around..Teyo Ewé, in year 10. Finally, I can see the map!

(not displayed: the isolated dark fortress has five pits surrunding them)

Yeah. Rhyming Occult-Palisade has just Moonhome and a single cave according to populations.txt. (Kingdomsabre has no parent with 3 dwaves inside).

After kingdom was lost, they were sieged five more times on the player fortress Plainmanor.

They're all pretty much like this, until running out of bodies.

Of course, it might be difficult to tell - baron of truattic nee outpost liasion has no signifiant evens in their figure.

The Gloved Pillars is still fine, though, at 200 dwarves and untouched by any wars...Even the elves an humans are peaceful.

Also, furhter peaceful news, everyone! no vampires or werebeasts in first 10 years of history.
Now, onto the fortress.

A fisherdwarf arrived in Moonhome once. It's been years since migrants were allowed in.

Now they're fisherlord.

Why did I check?

RIP southern seas.

Oh yeah, btw:

Apparently ocean aquifers have rich selection of vermin.

Other water-related news, I accidentially created  a still water watergenerator by trying to install a more fps-frindly pause button into dwarven water reactor.
z100:
z99:

Useful? Maybe. Haven't really experimented with replicating.

I need more marriages >_> The initial ones did work with a tavern and without a tavern... I think I'm going to let people idle without a location for a bit.

Don't need to start losing them to crabs, now

:|

Glass is fragile, I guess.

- - - Large meeting areas were not very effective, so they spent time alone together instead- - - -

Glass is beatiful. There we go.

~&~

Handed them a gold nugget...

BD bait, I guess?

Well, quadruple that front. Beautiful furniture.

Pretty furniture...

Even more furniture....

...Legendary furniture from a legendary furniturer:

*approves of the colors*

But another coffin, a silver second for duchy second to king?

Already have a cavern defence, though. Meet Omus Osmozungust:

Bugbats 0:10

Fleeting Frames ½:½

The bird got stuck - they beelined for 1 unlocked hatch cover straight from the caverns. Oops.

Unstuck them with puppy love and...

Hey, what gives?

Oops. Forgot to carve track under pressure plate >_>

*sigh*

FB couldn't land a single hit, either.

Lets try again, shall we?

And...they took the bait, then took a bait in a different corridor instead of going for tables in front of them!

Of course, it can't be that clean either.

...And they got stuck too >_>

This would be rather  good, actually, if I had included a manual sealing.

...Why is it again cavern 2?

..Sigh. Maybe they'll kill each other.

I guess praying is a serious concern

And I guess I have a gatekeeper?
This design may have failed at what I intended, but I got FB arena fights :)

- - - - - - - -
Aside aside, this is much more welcome:

Made neat steel greaves:

(Deliberated using adamantine instead, but I'd want a (rose) gold blunt instrument of destruction)

- - - - - - -

....Wait a sec.

I guess babies can mood?

Children can, at least.

Much better than the booby price of an animal trap.

But  never mind. I had far more than 3 moods with 22 population.

...As for what all that artifact furniture goes to, dwarves dine under a red moon in the sky.

The king has their own special corner, with artifact table, coffin as well as wagon wood bed.

The meeting area parts of it are directly under open sky to fight cave adaption:

That said, with so few dwarves they're almost always busy, and furthermore the barracks, where half spend the majority of time, are underground.

A somewhat interesting character, the duke(romantic at heart, but won't marry), and this is by no means all, but I did push this update later than usual, so...posting what I have.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2016, 12:28:42 pm »

I guess babies can mood?

Hey, Urist, your link's broken.

And alas, poor Occult-Palisades, we hardly knew ye. The future of dwarvenkind lies with the Gloved Pillars now. The natural defenses of the Distracting Rainy-Point and the Frost of Spoils should do a lot since enemy armies will have to go around the former through the latter (and Mistymirrors too, probably) to reach Plannedchambers, but will it be enough?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:33:17 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2016, 05:40:23 pm »

Our population swells.

I also made a small room for the married couples to chat in sometime.

Had to use stationing to get them all inside, though. But on the bright side, fort population has increased by 84% through births.

Okay, why did I get this box this time and not on the previous namings?

Eh, maybe I just forgot.

Moods:

Heck yeah!

(Platinum would be better, but this civ doesn't have any platinum.)

Yes!

Not sure how hammer versus mace fares, some advice suggest one, other advice other.

Now, time to dig for adamantine....I have two spires, and this is the limit of what I can safely extract from SW one

Zon, Legendary glazer and potential weaponsmith, gets the strand extraction job...

Etur smelts the wafers....

...And Solar weaves it -

- along with some other goods -

- into a nice thing to wield!

Okay, less important things can get adamantine too:

Pretty varied

Ends up being the first mat, tho...

A coffer? Well, not expected. but..I guess I'll put it into the library, next to the bone table.

Well, one more miner I guess.

Hm, I guess I should dig for more adamantine...For now, I'll give them malachite, then unrestrict them and see where cards fall.

Okay,

Sure.

A door? I don't need more baits, but....I don't have a door yet. I'll take a door, then.

...Before I could do that, another mood:

Well, no adamantine, but they do get FB bone.

....Statue

Ok, we worship Zon now.

- - - - - -

Sure kid. Don't have a legendary woodcrafter yet anyway.
(Orange wood bracelet)

And hey, neat, a child claimed bones...and 3 gneiss things...Didn't forbid brother picking or forbidding anything, but here's a hope for neat bone shield.

Nope.

Oh well, better than any other stonecrafting result.

...This one should work, though.

Yep.

One more?

They like bracelets...Well, take whatever you wish then.

Really whatever you wish?

Okay

Some of you have noticed that I provide no descriptions of artifacts. As the game generates those on viewing, this is intentional - the fort is a treasure drove.....

And for reaching it, well...Remember the oddly-shaped embark with unnecessary amount of ocean?

I tested- a minecart sent to fly at 109z at max cart speed will hit 100z in 63 tiles.(though note that sending it flying at 100z isn't sufficient to cross embark length at same speed).

So, I built a landing platform, so that you can cross the seas from fort to fort as adventurer without the forts touching on world map. This covers the entire embark width, 48 tiles, with landing zone.

N-S rollers pushing onto high friction track stop, enough to turn aside such max speed cart. 

Without buildings:

Dog training: We have lot of dogs, usually in a cage but corrently accessible through a door.

I briefly put inside Cut to train, but brought them out for mood, forbidding the door afterwards.

Now I find them inside it again.

How?

Lets play a game of "spot the hole". Apparently animal trainer can climb to their job, at least i there's an adjacant wall to the tree-hole.

Apparently they won't climb out though, no matter how hungry.

Also, neat to watch FPS slowly climb caging animals, from 70ish back to 220.

Caravan:

Earlier, I put in an animal watchers on their entrance.

However, the dwarves refused to remove the floor now blocking caravan entrance with remove construction,

so I had to dig ramps down quick to let wagons pass.

Now, there is the problem: I can't restore with constructed walls due being too close to the edge.

Enter magma.

There.

Now the animals can keep watch without chance of tortoise on dog action

Though, some of the merchants elected to leave from over the ocean.

Since we're oceanside embark and everyone arrived with novice swimmer, decided to give everyone swimming training. Enter nice room:
z95, Ramp so that door won't be wedged open.

z96: (also has barrel of wine and prepared meal, but they don't take jobs in water / derp )

z97: (hatch)

Filled from above.Entered 11th Moonstone, left on 17th Opal, became Proficent Swimmers.

Interestingly, once I disabled the burrow some of them climbed out - till I unforbid door, then they left.
Amusingly, they brought some things with them:

Saw my first demand:

As a reward and because my actual blacksmith was training, enabled Blacksmithing on them and told them to  construct it :)

Not bad for your first job :)

I occassionally have animals die.

Sometimes it is mysteriously in the center of my dining hall.

These two died in cage.

....Must be getting old. I arrived in 3, so that means the rest of the turkeys will die in 15, the children of first run.

I guess I should slaughter them first. I haven't had to designate anything for gathering or brewing in half a decade, now.

The food stores are filled mostly by caravans and plant gathering zones. I have farms, but I have yet to need to order anything to be planted.

FPS could be higher. There's ton of animals.

Quite a lot of Yaks.

They all can die now. Expect ones that get chained, and the turtles.

I like turtles.

...Anyway, not through butchery, though. Too much clutter.Maybe atomsmash?...Hm. tempting.

But no. They'll have a metaphorical life after death.

*amused*

Outfitting the lower levers finally proceeds.

Granted, the beds required cavern trees.

Submerged cavern...I initially enginereed dropwalls...

But then went: "I'll make my own cavern! With no water or FBs!"

Finally, small update on FBS.

They're not moving >_>

Oops.

Guess what I learned? You can become very drowsy if you're assigned to a burrow you can't reach.

(though the dude was also mediating outside of a meeting zone).

I wouldn't trust chance. Rhyming Occult-Palisade still lives in Moonhome and has ~200 dwarves elsewhere, but maybe one of the mainland goblin civs should be assassinated.

@Broken image: Eh, it looks like it was supposed to be the one above.

I was drop-dead sleepy when posting the previous day update, so no wonder if there's a lot of mistakes:

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2016, 07:16:11 pm »

Wait ??
Did you build a giant catapult that throws the minecart you're in across a whole ocean ? During your flight, all you can do is hope you'll get to the landing area unhurt, while you crash in it at a speed that is hard to even conceive... Did you really build that ? :D

By Armok, this is so dwarfy and obviously dangerous !
I gotta try that catapult !

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2016, 09:19:12 pm »

Just had a computer crash eat a lot of play aaaaaaaaaaand several years of text written. Basically several hours today....

Now, usually I have it saved with fox, expect that got eaten too.

Off-putting...

Still have .imgur-screenshot.log, though, so here goes. Not the original, but it's something

Moods:

The quest for full artifact armory continues:

Breastplate, mailshirt, greaves, helm, war hammer. Shield, and then minor pieces I guess?

Hm, wasn't steel better for rigid pieces? Hm, still an artifact armor.

Made by

Ingredients:

Pretty kickass, if I say so myself.

- - - - - - -

Meanwhile, kids get to mood too.
Lots of bone and rock carving
ROCKS

A child's mood? Well, stone crafting is never useful, lets see what they take randomly...

Oh, a figurine of our queen?

It will make for a burning effigy. I guess I'll try to make more graphite stonecrafting moods.

Is this woodcrafter?

Well what will he take....

Oh hell naw *forbids*

Yay, more smoke bomb/fireburning traps :)

Hard to make craft moods militarily useful.

Hm, another rockcrafter?

lets give him fire of the gods

Burning graphite bracelet on each hand? Now your fists are on fire.

Hopefully you're a dragon, 'cause that seems rather dangerous otherwise :P

I'm out of graphite.

Take what you want. 

There's no way I can weaponize this, I guess.
BONE

An interesting bonecrafter...They like crossbows, so here's hoping for an artifact iron crossbow

*forbids bone*

*double-checks description*

Well damn. they liked bracelets too.

Well, lets try again, now shall we?

Better, but I already have one of those. I guess it can go hang in the workshop :P

Too much used clothes. Time to trade it away for the first time ever.

Spoiler: 12 pages of this (click to show/hide)
In that same spirit, time to get rid of those useless rings.

As I can't trade 3 pages of rings...

They're going to the garbage dump.

There may be a few side effects.

Digging out in the deeps for more rocks. Pretty safe, using diagonal rampways for higher movement speed...

But the area is rather mineral-poor.
You can make bronze things are present, but overall it's more about embark being just incredibly fat.

:/

Yay microcline.

Oh schist? Don't prospect that!

...Yet, but how?

I sealed it!

Well, lets trace with a bed....
Pretty far off initially.

Deeper

Deeper!

Turned around?

Okay

Can't see it....

Is this it?

...Well, I've got nothing.

As for the FB...

No time to bring in the full military.

Just the nearby people will have to do.
Spoiler: Pitiful log (click to show/hide)

They're clad in mostly leather armor, too...

No injuries, good work dwarves.

Meanwhile, Woody-Omritznazir gets injured due being thrown by a bridge I ordered opened in my panic.

There's some moral here about dwarves persevering in spite of overseer who makes unsafe dwellings >_>

Or maybe just about putting everyone in civilian squads. Random hauler #1 killed the FB, after all.

As for the gap, found it as they return.

Gap plugged

...But  wait, there's still more stuff to haul.

A firebreather? This could be troublesome with the boozekins...

(The FB should be sealed, but I forgot to link up the pressure plate. Don't DF and sleep, listen from my experience.)

Anyway, noticed dwarves didn't all have proper armor skills anyway, so some remedial armor user training.

Didn't go that well....

Though that swim training pit keeps being useful.

That said, it ended up being rather ineffective this time.
I guess it was spread out too much? Some tortoises lasted only 6 pages.

Plant  gathering from on high.

This on z105. It pulls plant from up to z107.

A lay pewter/clear glass platform is on z108:

I love the catwalks, even if it I already have plenty of plants ^^;;

This fortress was built surrounding a natural orchard, after all. Hanging gardens are pretty ♥

@"Catapult":

Oh yes I did. Though note this is only one half - the other half is missing from the other side of the region tile.

Staircase to airline can be accessed from z100

The rocketing point is at 113z

Track:
Code: [Select]
▒▼▼▼#╔╗
O╗++╚║╔O
▒║OOOO╝
B╔╝╝╝╗
▒╚===╝B
▒B
▒B
▒B

You need to ensure the southern bridge is raised - by the steel lever - before riding the orange wood minecart to the west.

Then, you'll checkpoint through the green glass grate release, releasing a blood-thorn cart timer that makes the nether-cap minecart release you in about 700 steps (I think? Have forgotten about first one, but you sure should get to max cart speed and have time to idle.)

z112 is just standard three-ramp wait coupled to a bumper that returns with two accelerating ramps (thus giving the full 301 step wait period). Bumps into high friction track stop, so it takes two hits to make it move.

Meanwhile, nether-cap cart will return to position on z114

Fair warning of danger. :

Catapult is bit of a misnomer. At 2,65 tiles per step, you're moving closer to the speed of sound. (It's not a Concorde, but I think that's pretty good for a wooden box).

If you hit the water, then you'll skid to a stop, take a hit from the minecart (likely breaking few bones) and fall into water stunned.

If you hit something like a wall, though...

With this setup, I estimate you'll fly about 64 tiles, straight on the 27th tile from the right edge of this embark tile.

Also, Now, I probably missed some things.

So here's a dfma: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12722-moonhome

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2016, 02:29:57 am »

The civ is actually dead. Even the fort I founded in the western mountain for minerals is gone.
We need to do something.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2016, 02:36:25 pm »

I am going to be leavin teh forum for a while, I leave the OP stuff to Spriggans, the keeper of secrets until my return. Gods protect ye all.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35